02-10-13 04:56 AM
36 12
tools
    BlackBerry: no budget BB10 phones in 2013
    BlackBerry won't be killing BB7 anytime soon - which means those looking for advanced cheaper phones are out of luck.

Given a core segment of the BlackBerry user base are those on the pre-pay market, traditionally spending very little money on a handset, many were expecting to see a phone to service them running BB10 in the same manner as Windows Phone 8, with the likes of the Nokia 620.

However, speaking to TechRadar, BlackBerry European MD Stephen Bates told us the company was focused on making sure people saw it as a high-end company first and foremost:

"We've brought out these high-end devices as a as a statement of intent - to demonstrate vividly the new BlackBerry," said Bates. "Our intention is to evolve that portfolio to enter the mid-tier."

"But we don't see us getting to the entry level tier for some time; certainly not this year. Based on the great sales we've had over Christmas in the UK there is a demand for the entry level BlackBerry and we don't want to give that up so we're going to continue with Curve and the entry level as we bring BlackBerry 10 down through the mid-tier and eventually into the entry level."

One OS for you, and another for you…

It seems that BlackBerry is going to continue with a two-tier approach for the mobile OS for the time being: UK and Ireland MD Rob Orr told TechRadar that BlackBerry is seeing acceptable sales for BB7 devices, and the company isn't looking to force them onto BB10 just yet:

"In enterprise the BB7 portfolio is the workhorse device; government, financial institutions… these guys are continuing to purchase BB7," revealed Orr. "And in the prepaid space we had a very successful run for Christmas."

"It was important for us to show that we're not giving up on BB7," added Bates. "We launched BBM voice and it connects into the BB10 world where we've added video and screen sharing."

It seems odd that BlackBerry doesn't want to bring a cheaper phone running its 'phoenix' OS to the market as soon as possible, instead choosing to stagger it over time as it phases out, rather than kills, its older platform.

Whether we'll see new Curve devices remains to be seen – but if so, it will send out a statement of intent to those that have recently bought BB7 devices that it isn't giving up on existing customers, which can only be a positive thing.

These quotes form part of our in-depth interview with key members of the BlackBerry board – stay tuned to see the full piece coming soon.

BlackBerry: no budget BB10 phones in 2013 | News | TechRadar
    02-08-13 05:17 PM
    WTF? Is this furreal? Its a bad idea i think... Iphone will be releasing lower-priced plastic iphone this year
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-08-13 05:19 PM
    BlackBerry has to extract every dollar it can from the fans that are ready to pay anything even for a product that is not mature yet.
    But the whole year seems too much, adoption will be slow and the ecosystem won't develop.
    02-08-13 05:53 PM
    Isn't "budget phone" cheap or low-end devices ?
    I've read about mid-range devices, for specific markets (Asia/India, I think), but never about low-end ones ...
    (may misunderstand)
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    02-08-13 06:14 PM
    I saw this too. I wonder if the 6 devices has now changed to maybe 4?
    02-08-13 06:20 PM
    Z10 itself is going to be mid-end before this month ends. Their strategy really have me worried. No doubt BB should milk all those fan boy to the fullest, but how long can that last? Most loyal fan boys will upgrade within the first quarter or on their birthday, but after that BB will have a problem compete with the likes of S4, M7 and other top end phones. They need to have real flagship product to compete and Z10 it is not.
    02-08-13 06:20 PM
    I'm not sure why this is much of a surprise, or an issue. BlackBerry has been saying long before BB10 was released that they wouldn't be dropping support for BBOS 7 for a while and would in fact be moving the OS 7 devices to the emerging countries to serve as low-cost devices. So long as they keep support up for OS 7, why is this a problem? Some customers in the world can't afford to buy the Z10 (remember, we have it subsidized through our carriers in NA and Europe).

That's not to say that they won't be releasing the Z10 in these countries; just that they aren't looking to build a Curve-like BB10 device right away. Chris U has talked about how this is the best course for them in the short term from a financial perspective given that they won't have to spend on developing the hardware.
    Knightcrawler and Vorkosigan like this.
    02-08-13 06:21 PM
    This is excellent news. Sales of BB7 went well in Christmas. Sales of BB10 exceeded expectations in Feb. I think we're in for a decent surprise for this quarter's earnings.

By the way, I always suspected their Z10 and Q10 will be their mid-tier devices. Aristo is going to be their high-end. And their 4th device will be the 10" tablet. To top it off, I hope they license the OS to Lenovo and/or Sony for the Chinese and Japanese markets for their 5th and 6th device.
    Shanerredflag and fedakd like this.
    02-08-13 06:26 PM
    I'm not sure why this is much of a surprise, or an issue. BlackBerry has been saying long before BB10 was released that they wouldn't be dropping support for BBOS 7 for a while and would in fact be moving the OS 7 devices to the emerging countries to serve as low-cost devices. So long as they keep support up for OS 7, why is this a problem? Some customers in the world can't afford to buy the Z10 (remember, we have it subsidized through our carriers in NA and Europe).

That's not to say that they won't be releasing the Z10 in these countries; just that they aren't looking to build a Curve-like BB10 device right away. Chris U has talked about how this is the best course for them in the short term from a financial perspective given that they won't have to spend on developing the hardware.
    It isn't a surprise that they are still selling those outdated phones, but it is one that they thought with Z10 they have a chance to compete in the high end. It is almost like the time when they thought amateur hour was over, putting the almighty Playbook against the amateurish iPad. If Z10 is as successful as the beloved Playbook, BB will have another year of 2011 where they just aren't competitive.
    And one more very important point, they are essentially taking chance on hoping that BB7 can reverse the trend of erosion by low end Android devices. If they move too slow, they might lose the hold on developing countries to low end Android forever. They are facing war both on the top end and the low end. I don't see their current strategy to work too well.
    Last edited by ccbs; 02-08-13 at 06:39 PM.
    02-08-13 06:27 PM
    Positive statement there: "Based on the great sales we've had over Christmas in the UK there is a demand for the entry level BlackBerry"

I think it is a good strategy to keep BB7 for the low end, because there is hardly any margin on low end devices and at least with each BB7 that they sell they get a monthly service revenue.
    VeGiTo and Geeoff like this.
    02-08-13 06:31 PM
    I saw this too. I wonder if the 6 devices has now changed to maybe 4?
    They said 6 "devices", so that could be:

1. Z10
    2. Q10

3. Mid-tier Touchscreen
    4. Mid-tier Qwerty

5. New Playbook 7"
    6. New Playbook 10"
    02-08-13 06:33 PM
    They would be sacrificing a ton of BIS revenue if they totally cut off BB7 devices.
    But this also means that the gospel of BB10 will take a bit longer to make it to the developing economies that are the biggest consumers of lower end devices.
    02-08-13 06:34 PM
    It isn't a surprise that they are still selling those outdated phones, but it is one that they thought with Z10 they have a chance to compete in the high end. It is almost like the time when they thought amateur hour was over, putting the almighty Playbook against the amateurish iPad. If Z10 is as successful as the beloved Playbook, BB will have another year of 2011 where they just aren't competitive.
    True, but don't forget that the Aristo is rumored to be coming down the pipeline in the next few months. When? I have no idea, but the Z10 isn't BlackBerry's only touchscreen phone in 2013. I am a bit curious where they're going to get the other 3 devices that they're supposedly releasing, though maybe one includes the next version of the PlayBook. That still leaves two BB10 devices, so I'm not sure why a Curve-like device isn't in their radar. Then again, maybe their outlook has changed since they first announced that
    02-08-13 06:37 PM
    True, but don't forget that the Aristo is rumored to be coming down the pipeline in the next few months. When? I have no idea, but the Z10 isn't BlackBerry's only touchscreen phone in 2013. I am a bit curious where they're going to get the other 3 devices that they're supposedly releasing, though maybe one includes the next version of the PlayBook. That still leaves two BB10 devices, so I'm not sure why a Curve-like device isn't in their radar. Then again, maybe their outlook has changed since they first announced that
    As much as I would like to remain optimistic about the Aristo coming down the pipeline, in reality I will be very surprised if it is seen by years end, if lucky. Considering that we still have over a month for the US release on the Z10 and then the Q10, I would think it would not make any sense at all to release the Aristo, unless it is a larger phone (Phablet). BB would not want to lose the momentum and possible sales from their other phones which are not even out yet. I love BB but just hope they are not biting off more then they can chew here, by introducing all of these different models, worrying about bug fixes among other things. Would make them look like the "RIM" of old, by just putting things out there just to get them out there, with too many things incomplete, and things rushed out there before their time. Hopefully we won't see that again. This extensive carrier testing could wind up doing a lot more harm then good
    00stryder likes this.
    02-08-13 11:00 PM
    Doesn't apple still sell the 3gs?
    02-08-13 11:05 PM
    Doesn't apple still sell the 3gs?
    Nope

Going Ham using Tapatalk
    02-08-13 11:10 PM
    Nope

Going Ham using Tapatalk
    Yap! Still sold in indonesia, even when the ip4,4s,and 5 already sold nationwide
    02-08-13 11:19 PM
    Nope

Going Ham using Tapatalk
    Sorry for going off topic but WTF does going ham mean? LOL
    02-08-13 11:35 PM
    True, but don't forget that the Aristo is rumored to be coming down the pipeline in the next few months.
    All that speculation from one slide... you shouldn't get your hopes up. why would they undercut their z10 so quickly?
    The last thing they want is to **** off early adopters. Maybe for Christmas but they said they are not interested in a specs race.
    02-08-13 11:36 PM
    They have to keep updating OS7. Improve the phone performance & battery life.
    02-09-13 12:08 AM
    Sorry for going off topic but WTF does going ham mean? LOL
    hard as a mother ****er
    02-09-13 12:12 AM
    hard as a mother ****er
    See, learn something new every day...
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-09-13 at 12:39 AM.
    02-09-13 12:20 AM
    hard as a mother ****er
    Kind of scary LOL if you know what I mean
    02-09-13 12:21 AM
    Nope

Going Ham using Tapatalk
    Saw it yesterday in Thailand.
    02-09-13 12:45 AM
    So here's the deal. For those that think bb10 will be on a low end curve is crazy. Z10 and q10 are flagship devices now, but in 6 to 8 months, they would become middle class. Much like galaxy s2 was flagship two years ago and became mid range last year. RIM will push nicer phones out and those would be new flagship with z10 and q10 pushed down.
    02-09-13 12:50 AM
36 12