BlackBerry

To our valued customers, partners and fans,

You’ve no doubt seen the headlines about BlackBerry. You’re probably wondering what they mean for you as one of the tens of millions of users who count on BlackBerry every single day.

We have one important message for you:

You can continue to count on BlackBerry.

How do we know? We have substantial cash on hand and a balance sheet that is debt free.

We are restructuring with a goal to cut our expenses by 50 percent in order to run a very efficient, customer-oriented organization.

These are no doubt challenging times for us and we don’t underestimate the situation or ignore the challenges. We are making the difficult changes necessary to strengthen BlackBerry.

One thing we will never change is our commitment to those of you who helped build BlackBerry into the most trusted tool for the world’s business professional.

And speaking of those dramatic headlines, it’s important that we set the record straight on a few things.

Best in class productivity tool.

We have completely revamped our device portfolio this year with the launch of BlackBerry 10. We have four BlackBerry 10 devices – two all touch and two hybrid (touch and QWERTY) – and all are running the third update of our new platform. If what you care about most is getting things done – taking care of your business – we have the best range of devices for you. And we continue to offer the best mobile typing experience – no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Best in class security.

Governments all over the world, global corporations and businesses that simply cannot compromise on security choose and trust BlackBerry. Security is our heritage, and the industry recognizes that BlackBerry is the most secure when it comes to the device, server and, of course, our global data network. Have no doubt that you can continue to trust us to keep your communication safe and private.

Best in class enterprise mobility management.

We changed with the market, embracing BYOD because we understand that as iOS and Android devices become common in the workplace, businesses still need to manage all of these different platforms seamlessly and securely.

This is not a trivial task. While there are a number of startup companies that make bold claims, BlackBerry has more software engineers and the most resources dedicated to developing the most innovative solutions to address this complex challenge.

And our customers know it. Over the past quarter, our BlackBerry� Enterprise Service 10 server base grew from 19,000 to more than 25,000. Corporate clients are committed to deploying and testing the latest enterprise technology from BlackBerry. We are committed to evolving with our customers. That will never change.

Best in class mobile social network.

We are bringing the most engaging mobile messaging platform to all, with our BBM launch for Android and iPhone.

There are already around six million customers pre-registered to be notified of our roll out. This number is growing every day, and speaks to the tremendous opportunity we have to expand BBM beyond BlackBerry smartphones to make it the world’s largest mobile social network.

Yes, there is a lot of competition out there and we know that BlackBerry is not for everyone. That’s OK. You have always known that BlackBerry is different, that BlackBerry can set you apart. Countless world-changing decisions have been finalized, deals closed and critical communications made via BlackBerry. And for many of you that created a bond, a connection that goes back more than a decade.

We believe in BlackBerry – our people, our technology and our ability to adapt. More importantly, we believe in you. We focus every day on what it takes to make sure that you can take care of business.

You trust your BlackBerry to deliver your most important messages, so trust us when we deliver one of our own: You can continue to count on us.

Sincerely,
    The BlackBerry Team

Message from BlackBerry: You can still count on us | CrackBerry.com

BlackBerry Seeks to Reassure Customers With Newspaper Ads - Bloomberg
    10-14-13 04:20 PM
    Yeah, I'm not quite sure if I like the message. I get what they're trying to do, but this seems like the BlackBerry special - tell everyone everything is fine, and don't give any merit to all of the f-ups they've made recently. If this is the route they wanted to take, I think they should've have put some good thought into a full page article, admitting they've screwed up and THEN promise all these other things. Showing some humility isn't a bad thing.
    10-14-13 04:28 PM
    3rd software update?

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 04:31 PM
    3rd software update?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, 10.2...

Posted from my Red Zed
    10-14-13 04:33 PM
    Yeah, 10.2...

Posted from my Red Zed
    Does this mean it's on its way tomorrow then, if this ad goes in papers tomorrow?
    10-14-13 04:34 PM
    Yeah, 10.2...
    Seems to me like 10.2 would be the second update, third release.
    10-14-13 04:40 PM
    Seems to me like 10.2 would be the second update, third release.
    This

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 04:41 PM
    Yeah, I'm not quite sure if I like the message. I get what they're trying to do, but this seems like the BlackBerry special - tell everyone everything is fine, and don't give any merit to all of the f-ups they've made recently. If this is the route they wanted to take, I think they should've have put some good thought into a full page article, admitting they've screwed up and THEN promise all these other things. Showing some humility isn't a bad thing.
    I agree with you completely. I wrote a little half-baked apology letter in a post I made a while back.....frankly, I think even my off-the-top of my head 2 min. apology was better than this.

I think, if you're going to really "come clean", you need to write something special. You need to either take responsibility and/or create emotional appeal/connection and/or candid/brutal honest. This might get some people behind you.....resonate and create some underdog pull for you.

Or you can stick to business, and provide some clear focused specific business plans....not vague rhetoric...the type you've been idly spewing all along. Has to be detailed....can be lots of points, or even just a few, but give something real to believe in if you have it.....

This....is just tired, recycled rhetoric. Don't get me wrong...it's not "terrible"....it is though, in my opinion, at the least, ineffective - nobody but true believers will be convinced by this. At the worst, it's mildly insulting, and tiresome - and people are jaded about BB....for good reason. You can't over promise and under deliver for this long, then when your company is down to scraps - just keep saying the same things....

....but oh well...fact is, anyone with half-a-brain would wait - at the very least - to see what happens to the company in the first place (who's even supposed to be making these new promises?) before giving them any weight at all,
    10-14-13 04:41 PM
    The advertisement comes at a time when a lot of people have already made up their minds about BlackBerry.

The perception out there, rightly or wrongly, is that they have given up on themselves. The BB10 advertisements have ground to a halt in many of its potential markets and the CEO has all but dissapeared from the public eye.

I'm afraid that these adds are not going to be effective, as they are too little too late.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    richardat likes this.
    10-14-13 04:44 PM
    The CEO of the company needs his name attached to this. Not "The BlackBerry team". They are clearly attempting to hide the reality of the Thorsten Heins situation. They haven't come clean until we see him surface again.

The piece doesn't give any new information. Its all the same assurances we have been given for a long period of time. They are attempting to give the impression that it is business as usual. Its not business as usual. The sale and/or breakup of the company will change everything - and this is the last chance they have to make a statement that it is business as usual. The sale/breakup will be a disclaimer for this message. It will be sort of along the lines of , "well you could count on us, but now things changed so the message is no longer applicable - no 10.3" - although they won't come out and say this. They just need a recent press release to seem valid after the breakup in order give the illusion that there is a potential for new hardware and continued support. They know that the last few thousand people to buy BB10 handsets are on the fence and that they are more likely to pull the trigger with such a message. This is BlackBerry's shady way of giving them a false hope of a future. Just a quick write up by "team BlackBerry" to try and secure a few thousand sales and keep a few thousand on board for a few more months...
    bbq10l and richardat like this.
    10-14-13 05:13 PM
    This is a good 1st step.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 05:48 PM
    They are clearly attempting to hide the reality of the Thorsten Heins situation.
    What is the "Thorsten Heins situation"?
    10-14-13 05:59 PM
    What is the "Thorsten Heins situation"?
    Go do your research
    10-14-13 06:38 PM
    Go do your research
    https://www.google.ca/#q=%22thorsten+heins+situation%22

Not very helpful.
    Attached Thumbnails blackberry newspaper ad message-ths.jpg  
    10-14-13 06:58 PM
    Still not changing the numbers regarding actual BES paid installs.

And the lie of omission about BBM. You know, the fact that they released a non-working version already.
    richardat likes this.
    10-14-13 08:52 PM
    BB needs to hire that Italian Captain that sank the Concordia.

At least he has the EXPERIENCE ! of sinking a ship.
    10-14-13 09:04 PM
    BB needs to hire that Italian Captain that sank the Concordia.

At least he has the EXPERIENCE ! of sinking a ship.
    I feel sorry for you, bloated with negativity and sarcasm.
    10-14-13 09:22 PM
    thank you for your kindly comments
    10-14-13 09:28 PM
    'you can continue to count on blackberry'. ... delivering late, if at all

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 01:33 AM
    The CEO of the company needs his name attached to this. Not "The BlackBerry team". They are clearly attempting to hide the reality of the Thorsten Heins situation. They haven't come clean until we see him surface again.

The piece doesn't give any new information. Its all the same assurances we have been given for a long period of time. They are attempting to give the impression that it is business as usual. Its not business as usual. The sale and/or breakup of the company will change everything - and this is the last chance they have to make a statement that it is business as usual. The sale/breakup will be a disclaimer for this message. It will be sort of along the lines of , "well you could count on us, but now things changed so the message is no longer applicable - no 10.3" - although they won't come out and say this. They just need a recent press release to seem valid after the breakup in order give the illusion that there is a potential for new hardware and continued support. They know that the last few thousand people to buy BB10 handsets are on the fence and that they are more likely to pull the trigger with such a message. This is BlackBerry's shady way of giving them a false hope of a future. Just a quick write up by "team BlackBerry" to try and secure a few thousand sales and keep a few thousand on board for a few more months...
    I like your posts but this is bizarrely disingenuous of you. How do you know that they're about to be broken up? The odds are still either going private or maintaining the status quo while reducing costs, which will effectively get them to break-even per quarter or better. Google has stated they've dropped out of the equation. The point too is that the board probably has a good read already on what they expect to happen. Otherwise they would wait until Nov. 4, it's only a few weeks away. That's my take. I think you are reading more than is there by the letter. It's half advertising half plea, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's dishonest as you are clearly implying.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 03:25 AM
    I like your posts but this is bizarrely disingenuous of you. How do you know that they're about to be broken up?
    How is this disingenous??

I
    The odds are still either going private or maintaining the status quo while reducing costs,
    ?? Going private is a sale.

I
    which will effectively get them to break-even per quarter or better. Google has stated they've dropped out of the equation. The point too is that the board probably has a good read already on what they expect to happen. Otherwise they would wait until Nov. 4, it's only a few weeks away. That's my take. I think you are reading more than is there by the letter. It's half advertising half plea, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's dishonest as you are clearly implying.
    Really do not understand what you're saying here.....so you assume this message is from the board, and that they, knowing what will happen, are making these promises. You also just mentioned privatization as a high possibility - obviously the board won't even be there if that were to happen - so perhaps you believe this message to be actually coming from some future management - not the board.....or are you saying you believe this message to be from the board, and they know the sale with Fairfax (or anyone else) will not go through, and they are making these assurances?

That actually seems likes far more "reading" into the letter than Bold until Hybrid is doing - and in the absence of any information to suggest it - you are assuming that this message is coming from some future management.
    10-15-13 05:30 AM
    Heh, I can't speak for Bold until Hybrid, but I assume he is referring to Heins conspicuous absence during what is obviously the most troubled moment in BB's history - it is essentially the end of the company as we knew it - regardless of what happens.

This has lead some to speculate that Heins is already "out" in some way - I don't know whether that is true or not - but it's very plausible. I doubt very much that (though it's also possible) that he'll be relieved of title before the current sale is resolved but whether or not he is still calling all the shots is an open question.

One thing I can say for sure is that, Heins obviously no longer cares if anyone believes he is in charge or not, he is clearly not concerned with reassuring anyone. Not only has he not made a special appearance during this time - of all times(!) - he has withdrawn from expected appearances eg. launch, earnings call, etc. That in itself creates high speculation and in fact creates by itself a "heins situation". He obviously has not wanted - or has not been allowed - to make a statement. The fact that he did not sign this letter....or even make it "T Heins and the team at BB"....brings attention to this fact again.

Again, the one certain thing: he is either not allowed to make any kind of statement, or he doesn't want to, and doesn't care that it leads to more uncertainty and speculation about the company and himself - the latter is not a good thing if you wish to instill confidence in clients or stockholders.
    10-15-13 05:43 AM
    I like your posts but this is bizarrely disingenuous of you. How do you know that they're about to be broken up? The odds are still either going private or maintaining the status quo while reducing costs, which will effectively get them to break-even per quarter or better. Google has stated they've dropped out of the equation. The point too is that the board probably has a good read already on what they expect to happen. Otherwise they would wait until Nov. 4, it's only a few weeks away. That's my take. I think you are reading more than is there by the letter. It's half advertising half plea, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's dishonest as you are clearly implying.

Posted via CB10
    You like his posts?

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 06:02 AM
    You are right I've noticed his glaring absence from the public as well.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using CB Forums mobile app
    richardat likes this.
    10-15-13 06:03 AM
    Heh, I can't speak for Bold until Hybrid, but I assume he is referring to Heins conspicuous absence during what is obviously the most troubled moment in BB's history - it is essentially the end of the company as we knew it - regardless of what happens.

This has lead some to speculate that Heins is already "out" in some way - I don't know whether that is true or not - but it's very plausible. I doubt very much that (though it's also possible) that he'll be relieved of title before the current sale is resolved but whether or not he is still calling all the shots is an open question.

One thing I can say for sure is that, Heins obviously no longer cares if anyone believes he is in charge or not, he is clearly not concerned with reassuring anyone. Not only has he not made a special appearance during this time - of all times(!) - he has withdrawn from expected appearances eg. launch, earnings call, etc. That in itself creates high speculation and in fact creates by itself a "heins situation". He obviously has not wanted - or has not been allowed - to make a statement. The fact that he did not sign this letter....or even make it "T Heins and the team at BB"....brings attention to this fact again.

Again, the one certain thing: he is either not allowed to make any kind of statement, or he doesn't want to, and doesn't care that it leads to more uncertainty and speculation about the company and himself - the latter is not a good thing if you wish to instill confidence in clients or stockholders.
    It would be difficult to say what Heins cares about with any certainty even if you knew him. I'm going to guess he cares that BlackBerry is struggling though.

Posted via CB10
    richardat likes this.
    10-15-13 06:06 AM
32 12