So now that the 9900 is out, do you think that RIM will drop the numbers and go solely with name branding? Or will they go into the ten thousands? ( The next QNX phone would be fitting of that number).

I think the first QNX phone will be the Blackberry _____ 10000. And then after that there will solely be the Bold Curve and Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-11 07:34 PM
    I too wondered about what they'd do when they ran out of four-digit numbers. I think anything more would sound tacky, so I think they should drop the numbers and stick to name only with QNX, that way it will sound cooler and be a good distinction between BlackBerry OS phones and QNX "superphones."

Where are you from that the 9900 is out though?
    08-02-11 07:38 PM
    I too wondered about what they'd do when they ran out of four-digit numbers. I think anything more would sound tacky, so I think they should drop the numbers and stick to name only with QNX, that way it will sound cooler and be a good distinction between BlackBerry OS phones and QNX "superphones."

Where are you from that the 9900 is out though?
    I didn't mean out, sorry! I meant like..announced I guess. I think they should just keep one type of phone for each brand (bold, curve etc.) I think most people preferred the GSM bold compared to the cdma one (9650).

08-02-11 08:53 PM
    I think they should start with X1000 and go from there.

08-02-11 09:14 PM
    ...I think most people preferred the GSM bold compared to the cdma one (9650).
    Not quite - I'd prefer 9810 if it came in CDMA since I'm on Verizon. That's not an option, though, so I'm debating between the bigger screen of the 9850 and the real keyboard of the 9930.
    08-02-11 09:16 PM
    I didn't mean out, sorry! I meant like..announced I guess. I think they should just keep one type of phone for each brand (bold, curve etc.) I think most people preferred the GSM bold compared to the cdma one (9650).

Yeah, but you can't discontinue or even discount CDMA - Verizon and Sprint and whatever others CDMA carriers in the world make RIM a lot of money. But I agree, there should just be a Bold, not a Bold 9900 and 9930. I don't see the use in a special number to differentiate CDMA from GSM, I mean no other phone manufacturer does this anymore to my knowledge (they have different names like the Galaxy S also being known as the Attain and what not). Model numbers are out, 'cool' names are in (I don't think they're cool though; Charge, Infuse, Inspire, Evo and all that junk just doesn't sound good to me).

At the same time, it doesn't really matter what anyone calls anything. I suppose a product number like that is unique to RIM, but I still say that once QNX hits shelves, they should drop the number monicker or do something like "BlackBerry Bold," where the generation is just kind of implied and understood through physical changes and the GSM/CDMA confusion is offset by the carrier logo like it is already - even though I think that is ugly; it's already enough to have the phone manufacturers logo and/or name on the phone, let alone their logo and the carriers logo.

In the coming years, I think it would be a good change of pace for RIM to slim down their offerings with maybe just the Bold, Curve and Torch. It will help build desire and fanfare as well as reduce fragmentation. If QNX hit and they offered three phones; the QNX Curve, QNX Bold and QNX Torch, I think that would be absolutely awesome.

Imagine it:

QNX Bold;
    -Release:
    4/27/12
    -Specs:
    1.2GHz dual-core processor
    2GB RAM
    12MP camera/1080p recording
    2.8'' capacitive touchscreen
    800x640 pixels Liquid Graphics display
    16GB flash memory w/ expandable memory support
    -Software, etc.:
    Free turn-by-turn navigation with Google Maps
    NFC support
    Wifi hotspot support
    World phone
    4G capable

Needless to say we won't see a phone like this for a while...
    08-02-11 09:42 PM
    Oh, i didnt mean get rid if a CDMA variant, but make the cdma and gsm the same form factor and just call it the bold.
    08-02-11 11:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD