I don't see how NSA can spy on BlackBerry since each packet has its own unique 256-bit key and Blackberry say they have no backdoor.

"In the context of the BlackBerry solution, we use multiple sources of entropy to create dynamic and changing keys that ensure that mobile data is encrypted and unreadable until it is safely delivered and decrypted at its destination. These keys change for every packet of data that is sent. So when you receive a one megabyte presentation on your device that actually represents 500 individual packets (or transactions) – each encrypted with a unique key."

Cybernomics 101 - The Hill's Congress Blog
    I hope if I am wrong, and I very well may be, someone will correct this but your phone calls and your text messages are not data so none of this applies.
    bbq10l and BergerKing like this.
    10-28-13 07:15 PM
    This is why all secrets should be told in person

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 07:18 PM
    I hope if I am wrong, and I very well may be, someone will correct this but your phone calls and your text messages are not data so none of this applies.
    Both of which can be supplanted by BBM (well...at least text messages. I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question about BBM voice.)
    10-28-13 07:29 PM
    Both of which can be supplanted by BBM (well...at least text messages. I'm still waiting for someone to answer my question about BBM voice.)
    For texting I can definitely see your point but for phone calls BBM seems a rather impractical and inelegant solution. Curious as to your BBM voice question.
    10-28-13 07:41 PM
    For texting I can definitely see your point but for phone calls BBM seems a rather impractical and inelegant solution. Curious as to your BBM voice question.
    BBM voice's quality is pretty good, actually. Plus it's soo easy to use (you don't even have to dial phone numbers!)

Overage rates would be a *****, though. But these are world leaders we're talking about.
    10-28-13 07:49 PM
    I'vr seen that post cited a few times now, but people seem to be glancing over the fact that they were referring to an enterprise scenario.

Encrypting data before it leaves the enterprise and decrypting it after it has been delivered is essential.� Strong encryption like AES-256, which is at the core of the BlackBerry solution, works to protect the integrity of the data at all points outside of your control ? which any network engineer or security professional will tell you is a hostile and untrustworthy territory.

Enterprise = BES.

Posted via CB10
    And I am presuming world leaders would be using BES, wouldn't you?
    10-28-13 08:34 PM
    IDK if anyone can get into your personal information from BB but whether they can or can't doesn't change the fact that BB is a billion times better on security and privacy than BS anti consumer, anti privacy and security corps like Apple, Google and Microsoft. Plus, as of right now I haven't read or heard about any unconstitutional crap with BB or BB giving our personal information to anyone or letting any BS crap like NSA access our personal information.

Also, just because there are services that make BB even more secure and pro privacy doesn't mean BB isn't secure or pro privacy. The more things that give you more security and privacy the better, and the more privacy and security you have, even if the unconstitutional BS NSA or government bypass one security, they still have more to go to get to our personal information, which means it takes them longer and is harder to access, if they even can.

Lastly, even if eventually they will access our personal information, the point is not to just give it to them, the point is to try as hard as possible to keep OUR personal information OURS and practise our RIGHTS!
    10-28-13 09:35 PM
    IDK if anyone can get into your personal information from BB but whether they can or can't doesn't change the fact that BB is a billion times better on security and privacy than BS anti consumer, anti privacy and security corps like Apple, Google and Microsoft. Plus, as of right now I haven't read or heard about any unconstitutional crap with BB or BB giving our personal information to anyone or letting any BS crap like NSA access our personal information.

Also, just because there are services that make BB even more secure and pro privacy doesn't mean BB isn't secure or pro privacy. The more things that give you more security and privacy the better, and the more privacy and security you have, even if the unconstitutional BS NSA or government bypass one security, they still have more to go to get to our personal information, which means it takes them longer and is harder to access, if they even can.

Lastly, even if eventually they will access our personal information, the point is not to just give it to them, the point is to try as hard as possible to keep OUR personal information OURS and practise our RIGHTS!
    10-28-13 09:35 PM
    And I am presuming world leaders would be using BES, wouldn't you?
    Yup, world leaders and corporations would. But consumers like you, me and most of this forum wouldn't.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 10:05 PM
    I don't see how NSA can spy on BlackBerry since each packet has its own unique 256-bit key and Blackberry say they have no backdoor.
    There has been multiple reports that around 2010 the NSA had a huge breakthrough in destroying encryption which resulted in a new massive data center shortly after opening in Utah. Microsoft and a trio of researchers have already shown a weakness in and the first theoretical break of the Advanced Encryption Standard.

Edward Snowden has claimed that the NSA is winning it's long running secret war on encryption using supercomputers, technical trickery, court orders and behind the scenes cooperation and persuasion.

Seriously I wouldn't underestimate their capabilities. They spent billions of dollars on this war under the codename of "Bullrun". I'm sure if the NSA really wanted your data, they'll get it somehow.
    10-29-13 02:21 AM
    NSA just got Angela Merkel's phone line.. and didn't she use BlackBerry? So isn't it mean that BlackBerry isn't safe from NSA?

Posted via CB10
    FYI, it was a Nokia 6210 that was hacked... :-)
    Last edited by Z_Tasreen; 10-30-13 at 01:34 AM.
    donmateo and Jerale Hoard like this.
    10-29-13 07:49 AM
    Having an affair? Don't want your spouse to find out? Use BlackBerry! No more biting the pillows!!
    Drug dealing? Tired of local detective getting the cuts? Use BlackBerry!! The only cutting you'll do is on the glass table.
    10-29-13 10:15 AM
    Not sure if it has to be ASAP cause I can't imagine the NSA spying to be going anywhere anytime soon. Or ever....
    10-29-13 11:31 AM
    With the thought of thinking that your phone is secure, lies the false sense of security

Posted via CB10
    Flatman likes this.
    10-29-13 12:25 PM
    I see references to "most secure", "more secure" in articles about BlackBerry all the time. In the mainstream press. So no matter how secure, or how much more secure, or whatever else anyone wants to debate, that a BB is or is not -- the perception of better security is already there with the brand.

So it is something they can take advantage of. In fact even if they do nothing it's already benefiting them in the enterprise, I think.
    Doing nothing seems to be the BlackBerry Marketing Department strategy.
    10-29-13 01:55 PM
    Even if a hacker was to get into the phone, the phone would reboot right away to prevent any potential bugs.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:19 PM
    What is important here is not if NSA can hack the phone or not or whatever encryption they can break. What is important is the company policy. Here US companies like Google, Microsoft and Apple have a very dodgy policy and we all know that they do share all data with authorities without any questions, these companies give NSA full insight of the private data of any person out there. If I would trust a company I would want the company to officially say that they don't give any authority limitless access and will only give information about persons that has a court ordered search warrant.

Blackberry OS might be hacked and their encryption might be broken but it doesn't matter as this whole deal is a cat and mouse relationship. When the encryption becomes too weak because the advancement of the computing power, then Blackberry should also improve their security. Also, as any other OS, there are security holes and they should be plugged as soon they are discovered.
    10-29-13 03:34 PM
    I see references to "most secure", "more secure" in articles about BlackBerry all the time. In the mainstream press. So no matter how secure, or how much more secure, or whatever else anyone wants to debate, that a BB is or is not -- the perception of better security is already there with the brand.

So it is something they can take advantage of. In fact even if they do nothing it's already benefiting them in the enterprise, I think.
    Spot on
    10-29-13 05:23 PM
    Yeah but considering the NSA is part of the American government, and the American government buys BlackBerrys in bulk and deploys them on a grand scale, why would BlackBerry want to take a shot at them and even face the risk of the government shunning BlackBerry completely, taking a gamble that slapping the NSA in the face would make BlackBerry look good to consumers?

This doesn't even make sense considering BlackBerry's new stance of "we're focusing on enterprise now, consumers can buy our phones now too though."

Why risk piss1ng off what I'd argue is the biggest enterprise customer in the world? The government could turn around and deploy iPhones and Androids across the board.

Then who will be buying BlackBerrys by the thousands? BlackBerry just isn't in the position to be doing something so brash right now.
    The NSA is part of the government but at this point in time when the likes of the president are all detracting from knowing what is going on with the NSA, blackberry can just push security as a marketing idea to the masses without directly making any sorta references to the Activities of the NSA.
    10-29-13 05:28 PM
    Having an affair? Don't want your spouse to find out? Use BlackBerry! No more biting the pillows!!
    Drug dealing? Tired of local detective getting the cuts? Use BlackBerry!! The only cutting you'll do is on the glass table.
    Lol. I'd like to see that spoof on YouTube.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    10-29-13 08:57 PM
    FYI, it was a Nokia 6210 that has hacked... :-)
    Funny how that hasn't been corrected or updated.

I guess I'm old enough to remember when Media published corrections the next day.
    10-29-13 08:59 PM
    I can't read! Soz, just corrected the typo... :-)
    10-30-13 01:36 AM
    They might as well capitalize on it. They're about to have another competitor and this competitor uses the same AES-256 and ECC encryption methods. Research QSAlpha. It's claiming to be the most secured smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    A new smartphone? Cool. Let me know when it gets Minion Rush.
    10-30-13 01:59 AM
    That report has been extensively discussed here, and the consensus, at least to me, seemed to be that unless more details are provided, it's unlikely BES encryption itself has been cracked.
    there are all sorts of cryptography that can't be cracked. cracking a crypto system is another thing and it's much more believable that that can be cracked - and I don't doubt that the NSA if sufficiently determined can get into any BES that they need to.

what BES will do, probably, is make you immune from "vacuum up everything" sorts of NSA operations. they'd have to be pretty interested in you specifically.
    10-30-13 02:07 AM
    Nice thread, I have been saying this for quite some time.
    That BlackBerry doesn't capitalise on the whole privacy and security breaches, is outrageous, a disservice to the shareholders and definitely a vaste of their NOC.

To quote ArsTechnica on a VPN service:
    "Today, it has around 100,000 users. Assuming that each of them is paying $40 per year for service, that works out to about $4 million in annual revenue. (As we?ve reported before, there?s money in privacy!)"
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...p-for-privacy/

Now I remember...
    I actually made a thread about how BlackBerry could capitalise on the whole privacy scandal, before it happened.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=794697

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 04:47 AM
81 1234