Okay guys, so I know a lot of people have probably felt this before, and I know we all hate the marketing of Blackberry as a whole, but I have been seeing commecials for LINE Messaging (to be honest I had never heard of them before this) and its a simple 30 second commercial advertising it etc etc.

Pulling it up in the Google Play store it has over 100 million Downloads compared to 50 million for BBM, my question is why doesnt BBM advertise in the US like this?

Even using an Android device I downloaded BBM the first day available because of how much better it is, but also because of the nostalgia of it. I don't understand why Blackberry doesn;t leverage this. Advertising BBM isn't like advertising phones that wont sell. If Blackberry wants this to be successful they need to advertise you can have the classic BBM experience on your iPhone of Android, or even Windows Phone.

Sheesh so frustrating, as much as John Chen has moved the company forward they have such an opportunity to solicit BBM to people for relatively small money.
    08-18-14 02:10 PM
    Cause we are proud Canadians, we don't do that. We're quiet and shy up here.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 02:13 PM
    Okay guys, so I know a lot of people have probably felt this before, and I know we all hate the marketing of Blackberry as a whole, but I have been seeing commecials for LINE Messaging (to be honest I had never heard of them before this) and its a simple 30 second commercial advertising it etc etc.

Pulling it up in the Google Play store it has over 100 million Downloads compared to 50 million for BBM, my question is why doesnt BBM advertise in the US like this?

Even using an Android device I downloaded BBM the first day available because of how much better it is, but also because of the nostalgia of it. I don't understand why Blackberry doesn;t leverage this. Advertising BBM isn't like advertising phones that wont sell. If Blackberry wants this to be successful they need to advertise you can have the classic BBM experience on your iPhone of Android, or even Windows Phone.

Sheesh so frustrating, as much as John Chen has moved the company forward they have such an opportunity to solicit BBM to people for relatively small money.
    You underestimate the complexity of BlackBerry operation. BBM is just one of many of their products. It's only recently been available on all platforms. And if you ask me, it's still need some maturity and update. If only I get a dime every time my iphone and samsung using families complain to me about how the app suck. They are long time users of other apps. I forced them to use BBM otherwise I'll cut them out of my family. Not to mention there are other businesses for BlackBerry to tend to. It can be frustrating when a company with such limited resources to deal with multifaceted operation.
    08-18-14 02:24 PM
    Again BBM is an enterprise play first as anybody they can get to use ebbm or BBM protected actually is going to be generating revenue for them. Consumer users are not going to generate more than a few dollars per year on average. Enterprise users are going to be generating 10 or 20 time more so the development time is going to that area. Patience is the going to be the buzzword for consumer fans of BlackBerry this year and next
    08-18-14 02:28 PM
    How can you say its enterprises first. It still isn't an enterprise play. Plus someone says it's not enough money. ahh ask whatsapp about that. If bbm grows to where it can then its extremely valuable. The ist valuable currency is user base.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    08-18-14 04:25 PM
    Not to mention BBMx sucks. They will try to improve the user experience cross platform before they advertise.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 04:28 PM
    How many sticker packs would they have to sell in order to fund a half-decent ad campaign?
    08-18-14 04:36 PM
    There is a difference between earning income as a sustainable business and someone thinking you are valuable on potential future profits. The latter means zilch to BlackBerry right now but apparently FB thought it was worth billions. They are putting their focus on getting BBM protected developed and rolled out right now because it has the potential to generate earnings and cash. Again 2 million users at $30 a year is the same money as 60 million users at $1 a year. They are focusing on the 2 million.
    08-18-14 04:39 PM
    There is a difference between earning income as a sustainable business and someone thinking you are valuable on potential future profits. The latter means zilch to BlackBerry right now but apparently FB thought it was worth billions. They are putting their focus on getting BBM protected developed and rolled out right now because it has the potential to generate earnings and cash. Again 2 million users at $30 a year is the same money as 60 million users at $1 a year. They are focusing on the 2 million.
    I understand monetizing bbm protected but to just assume 2 million people will just leap instantly is a bit silly. And again the suggestion that bbm is an enterprise focused brand right now is insane.

Point well taken on perhaps the UI and experience needing to be better but bbm is almost a year old on these platforms, time to get them where they need to be of they want to compete with other messaging apps.

08-18-14 05:37 PM
    I understand monetizing bbm protected but to just assume 2 million people will just leap instantly is a bit silly. And again the suggestion that bbm is an enterprise focused brand right now is insane.

Point well taken on perhaps the UI and experience needing to be better but bbm is almost a year old on these platforms, time to get them where they need to be of they want to compete with other messaging apps.

But it's apparently much easier to gain 100 million new consumer users? Because realistically this is how many more they need to be a globally relevant consumer social network. You realize the net BBM userbase has grown by like 0 in the last 6 months? Unless you get a critical mass of users it isn't going to take off in the markets its doesn't exist in currently because unless you have enough people to use it with you aren't going to use it at all.This means broad advertising which is going to take a lot of time and money which they don't have. So to summarize my point BlackBerry is a company that needs to make money today so they are taking the quickest route to accomplish this which is ebbm and bbm protected because it has high revenue per user and they could easily get to a million ebbm users just off government users globally.
    08-18-14 05:56 PM
    I had posted a "homepage article submission" discussing the idea of a Protected BBM+1 to leverage BBM Protected paying users to grow BBM.

Unfortunately I don't think it made the cut,.. (Bla1ze is a tough editor) which is why I haven't quit my day job yet.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=952624

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 06:12 PM
    But it's apparently much easier to gain 100 million new consumer users? Because realistically this is how many more they need to be a globally relevant consumer social network. You realize the net BBM userbase has grown by like 0 in the last 6 months? Unless you get a critical mass of users it isn't going to take off in the markets its doesn't exist in currently because unless you have enough people to use it with you aren't going to use it at all.This means broad advertising which is going to take a lot of time and money which they don't have. So to summarize my point BlackBerry is a company that needs to make money today so they are taking the quickest route to accomplish this which is ebbm and bbm protected because it has high revenue per user and they could easily get to a million ebbm users just off government users globally.

Hence the reason for my post. If you were to poll people, I bet the overwhelming majority still don't knot BBM is for iOS and Android, and hell Windows phone too. Unless they advertise this, how to do you expect people to know about it, and it to gain traction.

I'm not saying eBBM can't or won't work, but lets not compare apples to oranges, BBM right now is a CONSUMER play, the stickers, Channels are CONSUMER plays. Any additional users (myself included) that aren't on a BBRY device are probably old Blackbery users, how many more users could they gain simply by adding old BBRY users, or by advertising the fact that is it available.
    08-19-14 11:55 AM