It seems to me that when the Foxconn/BlackBerry deal was announced, it was clearly stated that BlackBerry would design and build high end devices and the rest would be built and the inventory risk would be with Foxconn. If so, then the Classic is being produced by Foxconn and the Passport by BlackBerry. At least that is my recollection of the deal announcement with Chen and Gou.

Posted via CB10
    I think this is correct.

It likely also explains the bottleneck in distribution for the Passport.

I think the deal with FoxConn includes their distribution channels as well and so the supply issue likely won't exist for the Classic.

Hopefully they have rectified the supply issue for Passport and can start to fulfill more than 100k devices per month.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:33 AM
    so why did he release the 200k units sold after 2 days of release and then not even making a mention on numbers at the earning call? they at least released breakdown of BB10 and legacy os in previous calls but this time nothing.
    Maybe the sold-out event had to be explained. If I recall, 200k was more a whispered number from Chen than an official statement.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:01 AM
    As people commented, numbers are not yet good enough to report. Also, the numbers newer will be good enough to compete with iPhone or Galaxy launch,so maybe they newer be published directly. BlackBerry needs to sell 2-3 millions Passports in next year to make them successful from 10 M total sales goal point of view.
    IMO is because BlackBerry was very conservative on initial run, and it was sold direct - so only next year carriers, where the quantity comes from, will be supplied.

But, the positive vibe from Passport is seen in social media. I observe locally more and more questions about Passport from people wanting to buy one.

Also the good news surrounding Passport launch helped BlackBerry clean the channel. Z10 sold out, Q5 is mostly sold out, Q10 a Z30 small quantities still available.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:21 AM
    I don't think it is wise that BlackBerry will show sales number of classic and passport. They will just gonna be slammed down and those sales the media will have more reason to compare it to iphone and samsung sales.
    And yet many people think that BlackBerry is dead/dying and producing 0 new devices. So even if the media takes some shots at BlackBerry for not somehow taking on the largest players in the industry, wouldn't some news about the new devices be better than no news and "business as usual"?
    12-21-14 08:20 AM
    Maybe the sold-out event had to be explained. If I recall, 200k was more a whispered number from Chen than an official statement.

Posted via CB10
    See, that's the thing. He mentioned a number at launch and then.....crickets. Most people who follow the company, for whatever reason, would have a "Aaaaannnndddd.....how'd it go???" kind of curiosity. To say nothing of general media.
    Right after the launch of the Z and the Q there were statements of Selfridge selling out of 1K units in a very short time. The stage was set for the idea that the launch was a huge success. We've come to know since then that it was not as much as a success as initially believed.
    That memory is still out there. People remember. If there was going to be comments made about numbers sold in just a few hours, then follow through with additional information. BECAUSE of the history of the last launch, Not because Chen should release any numbers.
    Either adopt transparency with all its ramifications at all times, or refrain from releasing partial information that give the *impression* of withholding information due to less than a guarded, or positive, set of data.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    howarmat likes this.
    12-21-14 08:49 AM
    You brag when the news is good and silent when it's not.

Simple....

BlackBerry hates America!
    100%. I think it's pretty funny to read elaborate comments as to why Passport sales are through the roof. Lets stop drinking the fanboy Kool Aid for a second here people. I love BlackBerry and I love my z10 but I have yet to see a Passport out in public and I live in Southern Ontario.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 09:06 AM
    I would love to know how many of the 1.9 million were Legacy devices
    howarmat and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    12-21-14 09:20 AM
    For the time being BlackBerry handsets are niche products targeted at the market segments where productivity and security are paramount. Comparing sales numbers to the consumer oriented sales leaders is a disingenuous technique adopted by haters to assail the brand. Seriously, is there a sentient being in existence who has any knowledge of the mobile device market who thinks comparing BlackBerry sales numbers to Apple or Samsung offers any insight or value at this point? Then why is this always being floated as an existential threat to BlackBerry by many "analysts"? A significant part of BlackBerry 's unique value proposition is to offer an end-to-end solution to governments and corporations that includes devices and MDM in a tightly integrated fashion. Bb10 handsets will help sell BlackBerry 's MDM services. It would be nice if BlackBerry can. Make some profit directly on device sales, but in reality they only need to be able to avoid losing too much to keep them in the product mix. Amazon subsidizes their phones and tablets for similar reasons.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 11:14 AM
    Why couldn't those limited edition colors be part of the original 200K batch? And if the numbers are wrong, then why is Chen himself saying 200K?
    If they were in the 200k number, you acknowledge that they lied because how can they count phones that were still not release?
    12-21-14 11:41 AM
    All that is certain is that 200k units have been sold in by Blackberry.

Blackberry do not usually release unit sales for each individual model and it's unlikely that we'll actually get an update in the future.

What we do know is that 2 million Blackberry devices were sold in during FY2014-15 Q3. That's the only official numbers we'll get at the moment.
    12-21-14 11:51 AM
    For the time being BlackBerry handsets are niche products targeted at the market segments where productivity and security are paramount. Comparing sales numbers to the consumer oriented sales leaders is a disingenuous technique adopted by haters to assail the brand. Seriously, is there a sentient being in existence who has any knowledge of the mobile device market who thinks comparing BlackBerry sales numbers to Apple or Samsung offers any insight or value at this point? Then why is this always being floated as an existential threat to BlackBerry by many "analysts"? A significant part of BlackBerry 's unique value proposition is to offer an end-to-end solution to governments and corporations that includes devices and MDM in a tightly integrated fashion. Bb10 handsets will help sell BlackBerry 's MDM services. It would be nice if BlackBerry can. Make some profit directly on device sales, but in reality they only need to be able to avoid losing too much to keep them in the product mix. Amazon subsidizes their phones and tablets for similar reasons.

Posted via CB10
    I think that a big reason people want to know sales data is to better understand how BlackBerry is performing year over year. I am curious to see what the trends are telling us about the state of BlackBerry (phones and non-phone aspects).

iPhone 6+ / iOS 8.1.2 / T-Mobile USA
    12-21-14 11:57 AM
    4-6 weeks to replenish inventory, if true, is bloody awful. That's almost half a quarter in which no phones are getting into hands and filling BBRY's piggy bank. What's filling in the revenue stream in the meantime? And that's over a month's wait list for potential users. I find it a bit hard to believe that such a business model would be sustainable.
    12-21-14 12:12 PM
    The folks expecting 1M+ sales of the Passport simply refused to understand that BB didn't have that many to sell - they only ordered 200K of them, because funds were limited and sales volumes were questionable. Without a standing, on-going production order, which BB didn't have for the Passport because of the aforementioned reasons, it will take 2-3 months to get more of them into distribution channels. You can't sell what you don't have.

But folks also need to keep in mind that, for most people, the Passport was effectively the first new BB phone released in 18 months (the Z30 release was very limited, at least in the US). There was a large pent-up demand for a flagship BB phone from existing BB10 users, plus a small handful of (mostly former BB) folks who wanted to try something outside-the-box. I'm not sure that that initial spike is going to continue much beyond those people. Yes, some PPs will be sold, but if they're mostly sold to existing BB10 users, then it's not increasing the BB10 userbase. How many here have (or have had) multiple BB10 phones?

I kind of suspect that, a year from now, total Passport sales will be in the 400-600K range. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.
    Given your declaration that the Z30 would be the last device BlackBerry ever makes then yes your opinion is likely wrong as usual.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ray689; 12-21-14 at 02:16 PM.
    12-21-14 12:27 PM
    BlackBerry will sell a couple of hundred thousand Passports, but that's not enough to make a difference with respect to accomplishing the 10 million units-sold target set by Chen. So who really cares if it is 200,000 or 400,000 units sold?

If Chen's estimate was correct that 10 million units per year would need to be sold to justify staying in the phones business, then that target is in serious jeopardy. That target should have stopped any plan to launch phone designs that would be very poor sellers--and since Chen admitted that the Passport was never expected to sell well, I have never understood why Passport's design was selected over a legitimate flagship all-touch design.

There is no other smartphone company out there that would waste its only flagship launch of the year on a design that wasn't expected to sell even a million units. Now that the results of this strategy are becoming more obvious, I hope Chen, PKB fans, and all others who wanted this strategy are happy with its outcomes.

12-21-14 04:07 PM
    I think that a big reason people want to know sales data is to better understand how BlackBerry is performing year over year. I am curious to see what the trends are telling us about the state of BlackBerry (phones and non-phone aspects).

They call me the numbers guy - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I've put some numbers here which you may be interested in.

Not model specific unfortunately.
    12-21-14 04:11 PM
    I was here hoping to find some sexy mums but I didn't expect it to be another kind of mum ;D

Once you go black, you can't turn back! Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 05:49 PM
66 123