Yeah I imagine he'll look at sales info on the DTEK50 and DTEK60... and then forget about it.
    Agreed.
    10-05-16 08:00 AM
    No idea why they alienate their core userbase that demands a candy bar qwerty phone. Why there isn't a BB Classic with Android by now is beyond me.
    That's the thing: BB doesn't have a "core userbase" device-wise. BB's userbase is divided into about 5-6 different groups, all of whom want different things, and all of whom believe they're the "core userbase". Some want a flagship all-touch, some want an affordable all-touch, some want a slider, some want a PKB, etc. etc. And BB, in trying to satisfy those different factions, put itself in a position were none of its devices would ever satisfy even a large portion of their own userbase.

This is why Apple makes so few devices, and even then, they're mostly the same. It keeps their userbase from being fragmented.
    rthonpm, JohnGrey, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    10-05-16 09:49 AM
    The sooner you stop selling hardware, the sooner you will be able to get rid of all hardware support infrastructure. We're talking about entire departments than handle supplier relationships, carrier relationships, wholesaler relationships, retail relationships, marketing, technical support, regional licensing. It's an incredible amount of infrastructure that he's trying to wind down when you think of all the countries that Blackberry still sells devices in. One last device would just extend those costs for that much longer..
    10-05-16 09:58 AM
    That's the thing: BB doesn't have a "core userbase" device-wise. BB's userbase is divided into about 5-6 different groups, all of whom want different things, and all of whom believe they're the "core userbase". Some want a flagship all-touch, some want an affordable all-touch, some want a slider, some want a PKB, etc. etc. And BB, in trying to satisfy those different factions, put itself in a position were none of its devices would ever satisfy even a large portion of their own userbase.

This is why Apple makes so few devices, and even then, they're mostly the same. It keeps their userbase from being fragmented.
    I think BlackBerry's core userbase... were folks that wanted BIS. It allowed them to have lower cost BlackBerry data plans, it gave them BBM to bypass the per text fees that many charged back then (and some markets still do), it gave them data compression so they didn't burn up their 300KB data allowance, and the battery last them all day.

Now, most markets are where the US was seven years ago... and BlackBerry isn't offering what matters to those users anymore. I doubt the form factor really mattered all that much to begin with.
    10-05-16 10:04 AM
    The sooner you stop selling hardware, the sooner you will be able to get rid of all hardware support infrastructure. We're talking about entire departments than handle supplier relationships, carrier relationships, wholesaler relationships, retail relationships, marketing, technical support, regional licensing. It's an incredible amount of infrastructure that he's trying to wind down when you think of all the countries that Blackberry still sells devices in. One last device would just extend those costs for that much longer..
    They talked about 100 people would be affected... I think that was between now and the end of the fiscal year, as that was the time period Chen gave. They would have to continue to "support" existing devices... so it will actually take them time to fully realize an end of hardware. Not really all that many.... I read yesterday that Planet Hollywood at Walt Disney World was reopening after a major renovation... they are in the market for 500 employees for just one restaurant.
    10-05-16 10:09 AM
    I'm mulling a sandwich.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-05-16 01:40 PM
    I think BlackBerry's core userbase... were folks that wanted BIS.
    and often it was actually their parents - a cheap curve become the goto device to buy for children because here in the UK you could buy �5 a month for unlimited data.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-05-16 01:46 PM
    Yeah I imagine he'll look at sales info on the DTEK50 and DTEK60... and then forget about it.
    People like you doesn't like a single bit of BlackBerry and yet you are first to comment negatively!

Posted via Priv
    10-05-16 02:02 PM
    I'm mulling a sandwich.
    Don't mull as long as Chen will over releasing the Mercury... the bread will go stale.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-05-16 02:07 PM
    and often it was actually their parents - a cheap curve become the goto device to buy for children because here in the UK you could buy �5 a month for unlimited data.
    And when the �5 ran out they could continue to use BBM... result!
    10-05-16 02:09 PM
    And when the �5 ran out they could continue to use BBM... result!
    Yes sorry it's a typo - unlimited BBM - that was the killer feature. However as data got cheaper...
    10-05-16 02:29 PM
    Does anyone under the age of 30 in a developed country actually want a BlackBerry?

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-05-16 05:15 PM
    No offense but you say that as if BlackBerry is the first Corporation that obfuscated when it came to the consumer. Not sure why people are so surprised at this to be honest. How's Apple doing lately on the whole Bend Gate / Touch Screen controversy, for example?

Anyone who thinks a for profit corporation is going to put the truth before profits is naive, imho.
    I can't disagree with most of what you said but....
    1. Maybe that's what's wrong with a lot of business these days
    2. As a customer of one of these business I have the right to complain about their practices AND I DO and will continue to as long as I feel the need. You may make excuses for their poor practices but this just leads to more of the same.
    10-05-16 07:02 PM
    Does anyone under the age of 30 in a developed country actually want a BlackBerry?

I do.
    10-06-16 09:32 AM
    I can't disagree with most of what you said but....
    1. Maybe that's what's wrong with a lot of business these days
    2. As a customer of one of these business I have the right to complain about their practices AND I DO and will continue to as long as I feel the need. You may make excuses for their poor practices but this just leads to more of the same.
    I don't like it either but it seems the norm these days. Again look at how Apple is treating the touchscreen issue on the 6.

If class action lawsuits and state regulatory agency investigations don't work, I don't see it getting any better. Sad but true, imho.
    10-06-16 10:18 AM

Make that two

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 11:22 AM
    Then there's still hope! Most young'uns don't even know what BlackBerry is.

10-06-16 12:06 PM
    Looks like this is dead - listen from about 15:45

10-25-16 02:13 PM
    Looks like this is dead - listen from about 15:45
    Yeah it would seem they are done... still wonder how quickly they will be clearancing existing inventory.

Licensing, Licensing, Licensing.... "better be"
    StephanieMaks, cgk and JeepBB like this.
    10-25-16 02:38 PM
    Well if you work on the basis they want to exit by 28 Feb next year - they will want to shutter webstore either before or not soon afterwards because that provides a hard line for warranty support.
    10-25-16 04:33 PM
    Well if you work on the basis they want to exit by 28 Feb next year - they will want to shutter webstore either before or not soon afterwards because that provides a hard line for warranty support.
    Didn't they already state devices that come from any licence partner ( assuming they get some) will be available through shop BlackBerry?
    10-25-16 05:26 PM
    Didn't they already state devices that come from any licence partner ( assuming they get some) will be available through shop BlackBerry?
    No. Chen said that they reserve the right to distribute themselves any BB-branded device that their partners produce - BUT that they almost certainly won't actually do so, because they're getting out of that business entirely. Plus, there wouldn't be a lot of money in importing devices from the countries that are likely to produce them, given that they'll be low-end devices intended for domestic markets (such as Indonesia) rather than the global market.

Being involved in distribution costs money, and when you can't turn a profit, that's a big problem, which is why BB is getting out of it in the first place. Trying to sell those devices on their own web store means they'd have to continue to pay for a lot of the servicing (both distribution and repair/warranty) that they're trying to leave behind.
    JeepBB and cgk like this.
    10-25-16 06:04 PM
    No. Chen said that they reserve the right to distribute themselves any BB-branded device that their partners produce - BUT that they almost certainly won't actually do so, because they're getting out of that business entirely. Plus, there wouldn't be a lot of money in importing devices from the countries that are likely to produce them, given that they'll be low-end devices intended for domestic markets (such as Indonesia) rather than the global market.

Being involved in distribution costs money, and when you can't turn a profit, that's a big problem, which is why BB is getting out of it in the first place. Trying to sell those devices on their own web store means they'd have to continue to pay for a lot of the servicing (both distribution and repair/warranty) that they're trying to leave behind.
    When did he say that because Thurber and Pini have said otherwise? Or is this your assessment based on nothing? Anyways, even if he did say it, anything Chen says is completely off message and requires weeks of follow up interviews and tweets to do damage control.
    The below was tweeted the day after Chen spoke at earnings call. Listen I realize you want devices to never be available again so your bold proclamation will be correct, even though it was the Z30 you proclaimed as the last BlackBerry device ever.
    Attached Thumbnails BlackBerry mulls one last in-house designed handset-104682.jpg  
    10-25-16 06:47 PM
    As far as I know Dtek phones are primarily for BlackBerry diehards and fleet only. There is no marketing to the public planned.

Trying to complete with the 50 other Android makers is suicide so perhaps it's the best strategy in the end.

Posted via BlackBerry PRIV
    Based on that train of though, wouldn't you think BB would have released the Mercury/PKB device?
    I'm assuming the # of pkb BB diehards > # of vkb BB diehards.
    10-25-16 07:21 PM
    When did he say that because Thurber and Pini have said otherwise? Or is this your assessment based on nothing? Anyways, even if he did say it, anything Chen says is completely off message and requires weeks of follow up interviews and tweets to do damage control.
    The below was tweeted the day after Chen spoke at earnings call. Listen I realize you want devices to never be available again so your bold proclamation will be correct, even though it was the Z30 you proclaimed as the last BlackBerry device ever.
    That tweet was about them still carrying until they exit - got to shift that leftover hardware or have to fire-sale it. BBRY are getting out of making and selling hardware, they have been clear and explicit yesterday. Here's three data-points for you:

1) When asked yesterday in the DTEK60 launch if it was the last Blackberry phone, they stated clearly it was the last one to be 'made and distributed by them' (around the 16:00 mark)

2) There is currently only one partner making devices in one market, this is what Chen had to say about that company:

The JV is actually an Indonesian entity, developed and put together by them, specifically focused on BlackBerry and distributing BlackBerry handset in Indonesia. All we did was we licensed this JV our brand and the - and all the software. So that�s number one. Before I move on that that�s clear, right, I mean, okay. So therefore it�s definitely above the line not below the line because we are no partner to JV.

3) He also said:

So with what I announced today, we will end that activity and rely completely on partners. So working with partners, relying is too strong a word, and working with them to make sure their hardware portfolio is up to spec and competitive, is of course reduce a lot of expenses, not only on operating expenses, but capital that we talk about, we don't have inventory we need to carry anymore.

How much clearer do they need to be?
    Last edited by cgk; 10-26-16 at 02:30 AM.
    JeepBB and StephanieMaks like this.
    10-26-16 01:58 AM
51 123