Only takes 10 million devices per year to keep hardware profitable for them. I think they'll survive. Especially when BES and BBM is picking up more revenue.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    When a company starts saying "all we need is X to remain profitable", that's the first step on the way down. No corporation should strive to "just remain profitable". That's a CEO saying "we've lost, but if I sell X, I can keep my salary".

But BlackBerry isn't trying to excite the general public.
    The general public is also business folks.
    09-30-14 10:21 AM
    If you so desperate to upgrade your z10 (apparently it's dying) my advice it's to get a z30 and wait for a high end full touch screen on next spring

I always find it strange when BlackBerry owners who were unlucky enough to purchase a defective Z10 or Q10 that effectively die just after the warranty period would want to buy another BlackBerry. So far, I am problem free but should it die prematurely that would be my last BlackBerry ( or Samsung, or Sony etc as the case may be).
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-30-14 11:02 AM
    I always find it strange when BlackBerry owners who were unlucky enough to purchase a defective Z10 or Q10 that effectively die just after the warranty period would want to buy another BlackBerry. So far, I am problem free but should it die prematurely that would be my last BlackBerry ( or Samsung, or Sony etc as the case may be).
    Not me. I have had my z10 for almost a year now, I bought another just incase anything happens to this one. I love bb10 os. Don't want anything else. Just want the os to mature with features. Which every update it has.
    BlackBerry should start to make second gen version of original bb10 phones

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    09-30-14 11:10 AM
    BlackBerry should start to make second gen version of original bb10 phones
    Posted via CB10

I'm being witching that for ever.
    09-30-14 11:30 AM
    When a company starts saying "all we need is X to remain profitable", that's the first step on the way down. No corporation should strive to "just remain profitable". That's a CEO saying "we've lost, but if I sell X, I can keep my salary".

The general public is also business folks.
    Not what he's saying at all. He just needs that to keep the HARDWARE profitable. Therefore making it not a drag on the rest of the company which is profitable. It's one section of the company that they don't want to have to get rid of if at all possible as it gives them full control from end to end. Hardware just breaking even right now would show up immediately on their bottom line.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and CyberMan2013 like this.
    09-30-14 12:14 PM
    Definitely looks like they've retreated to their QWERTY devices, at least for the foreseeable future.

For me, that means quitting BB at last - which is a real pity considering I've been a BB fan/user since the original Bold. But the Passport is just a terrible device in my opinion - absolutely don't get the 3-row-keyboard. Why have a physical keyboard at all if you have to constantly use on-screen keys? Might not be that big a deal for English, but it's absolutely useless for languages with special characters and/or capitalization (I'm German, so pretty much every other word is Capitalized and/or uses characters like �, �, �, � )

I lost my Z30 last week and won't be getting another one - Z30/Z10 are just too outdated now, qwerty devices don't interest me.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one literally forced to quit BB. Definitely not great business in my opinion. Passport will flop, though I'll gladly be proven wrong.
    09-30-14 05:02 PM
    Definitely looks like they've retreated to their QWERTY devices, at least for the foreseeable future.

For me, that means quitting BB at last - which is a real pity considering I've been a BB fan/user since the original Bold. But the Passport is just a terrible device in my opinion - absolutely don't get the 3-row-keyboard. Why have a physical keyboard at all if you have to constantly use on-screen keys? Might not be that big a deal for English, but it's absolutely useless for languages with special characters and/or capitalization (I'm German, so pretty much every other word is Capitalized and/or uses characters like �, �, �, � )

I lost my Z30 last week and won't be getting another one - Z30/Z10 are just too outdated now, qwerty devices don't interest me.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one literally forced to quit BB. Definitely not great business in my opinion. Passport will flop, though I'll gladly be proven wrong.
    Really?? My Z30 runs just fine and it has all the features and specs needed to do all the things I need. What spec do you feel it lacks so you can brag? Performance should be the only thing you need. My Z30 runs perfectly.
    09-30-14 05:51 PM
    Really?? My Z30 runs just fine and it has all the features and specs needed to do all the things I need. What spec do you feel it lacks so you can brag? Performance should be the only thing you need. My Z30 runs perfectly.
    Actually the Passport seems to operate very much like a all touch device with a physical keyboard for certain keys. Better than a all touch device if a person wants physical keys. Max would have to try it out but if you desire a PKB then the Passport is better than the Z30 or any other all touch phone. The screen alone is much better than the Z30.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 09-30-14 at 11:19 PM.
    09-30-14 09:03 PM
    I'm hearing the slider early next year and a touch mid year. But it is possible they might be a little different than we are used to.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 09:14 PM
    Passport 's spec is awesome. It would be great if they come up with a touch phone with Passport 's specs.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1154
    10-02-14 10:16 PM
    I has a curve and a bold but the Torch was always the phone for me.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 10:26 PM
    The rumor is that BlackBerry will unveil the next gen slider device next year at MWC 2015, which is in March 2015. Supposedly, it will be manageable single-handedly, which I take to mean that it'll be about a 5" size rectangular phone, give or take. Hopefully, it'll have high specs and delight both pkb and vkb BlackBerry fans. Even better would be if an all-touch version had a bigger battery where the keyboard would usually stow away.

At any rate, a recent Crackberry poll shows that about 75% of those polled wanted a all-touch model versus 25% that were satisfied with the Passport and Classic models. http://m.crackberry.com/are-you-stil...e-be-announced

I hope BlackBerry focuses its resources in accordance with these numbers from now on, giving priority in the future to all-touch devices. I've always heard that all-touch BlackBerries out-sell keyboard models anyway, but it's hard to know when Chen isn't revealing the exact breakdown of model sales. All BlackBerry has to do is to give the people who they want: All-touch flagships!

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    10-03-14 12:38 AM
    CrackBerry polls are unreliable as the type of consumer or enterprise owner that owns a Bold, Curve or Q is less likely to be on CrackBerry. I agree that the premium phone market seems to be moving the same way. A 4.7 inch all touch and a 5.5 inch all touch. I also think that a 4 inch Passport should be made.
    10-06-14 10:06 AM
    Z10 was my first blackberry, got the z30 and handed down the z10 when my wife needed a replacement for her sg3. As some others have said, if BlackBerry doesn't release another high end touch screen I'd move on. Not interested in physical keyboards or slider phones. Are they forgetting the great work they did putting together an awesome touch keyboard (which was a standout feature even with critics)?

Posted via CB10
    10-06-14 10:26 AM
    CrackBerry polls are unreliable as the type of consumer or enterprise owner that owns a Bold, Curve or Q is less likely to be on CrackBerry. I agree that the premium phone market seems to be moving the same way. A 4.7 inch all touch and a 5.5 inch all touch. I also think that a 4 inch Passport should be made.
    I agree. And since so much of BlackBerry's focus this quarter is on physical keyboard phones, it presents a perfect opportunity to see how the market responds to a keyboard-heavy product line.

We'd really like the keyboards to do well, both for the health of the company and for BlackBerry to have plenty of cash to support the all-touch devices that are expected next year.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1154 / T-Mobile USA
    10-06-14 11:18 AM
65 123