Doesn’t matter any what they’ve learned. Either pay for patent features or don’t incorporate. Although some pointed out that Palm brand purchase didn’t include any IP, there’s plenty of PKB non patented and publicly owned technologies available. Palm Treo, Centro and Pre devices weren’t bad for their period in time.

" ...weren't bad for their period in time." I don't think a non BlackBerry PKB will be satisfying compared to the KEY2 BlackBerry. I am thinking it would be extremely hard to go back to something that in the past was considered "not bad" after typing on a KEY2. I even find it to be a step backward to type on my KEYone.
    bb9900user2018 and SeeBeeEss like this.
    08-12-19 04:33 PM
    Exactly!

Any PKB is better than no PKB
    Perhaps but not positive. These things keep getting watered down and at some point aren’t worth the hassle.

In the end you have to make money and no one has in quite a few years.
    08-12-19 04:46 PM
    I’ve speculated about the Palm strategy from my simple opinions and simple business experience. It makes sense for a variety of reasons.

This information seems credible but keep in mind like everything we do here, it’s a bunch of words and opinions unless it can be truly verified. No offense to OP since it could be difficult to verify due to privacy and other issues.

Personally though, seems very reasonable..
    It all sounds very reasonable from a business standpoint.....but then again its a guy who knows a guy who I overheard while in the bathroom .....talking to THE guy
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    08-12-19 05:15 PM
    The rumours
    Rico4you likes this.
    08-12-19 05:43 PM
    I honestly don't get it. BlackBerry PKBs were critical to BBOS phones, and are certainly iconic, but I found BB10 better with the VKB, and Android sucks for me regardless of the type of keyboard.

What I Ioved about BlackBerry was that it was a phone that was all business. No one makes a phone like that anymore, and that's what I find disappointing. Not the keyboard, because it's just not integrated in Android like it was in BBOS, where almost all apps utilized it extensively.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    lzmx, Jake2826, Gene Fells and 2 others like this.
    08-12-19 06:18 PM
    Hello guys, snip.
    I think what we have to accept is that even without formal verification of the validity of these comments, they make sense in the context of what we already know and even if not entirely accurate, can't be far off. BBL has a strict view of what its IP is worth and if TCL can't afford it, that's the end.

I bought my Key2 for the security and convenience. I'd hate to lose the security aspect that BBL provides, but we have to face facts here: consumer BlackBerry phones have hit their twilight phase and it's only a matter of time before touch screens obliterate the pkb market completely. In fact, it may not be touch screens, but oral dictation and wearable tech that ends up killing it in the end.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-12-19 at 07:16 PM.
    08-12-19 06:49 PM
    Hello guys, snip.
    Thank you so much for that ! Now we know that Blackberry Ltd has become the greatest blocking point for the release of the phone form factor they created and that we love.

Very interesting to see that Key3 (Palm Pre 3) could be released for 350 if BlackBerry mobile didn't have to pay those licensing fees...
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-12-19 at 08:06 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-12-19 07:07 PM
    In fact, it may not be touch screens, but oral dictation and wearable tech that ends up killing it in the end.
    This is it! Unfortunately...
    08-12-19 07:09 PM
    it's only a matter of time before touch screens obliterate the pkb market completely.
    Call me a fool in denial, but no, I am NOT going to face that.

Even if it's a single kickstarter project that produces the last PKB standing, I WILL back it and use it as a primary, whether also carrying a slab or not.
    08-12-19 07:10 PM
    Now more than ever I’m very sad. Even BlackBerry Android was still a BlackBerry. My friend just got an OG Passport and I was so jealous. But sad sums it up.
    08-12-19 07:36 PM
    They were mistaken or mislead into thinking that the USA govt and various financial institutions , stock brokers and doctors were wanting to replace their 9900’s.
    If they were expecting stockbrokers, there’s part of the problem. While that’s my favorite title and what I was called from 1992-1996 or so, it would reflect the overall image problem that BB name and brand has been fighting the last decade or so. Everything changes, simply put, eventually.... now if possible to just locate my suspenders and the rest of my Bud Fox / Gekko clothing line...
    08-12-19 07:38 PM
    As far as I understand, if TCL releases Key3, it is going to do that just to get the benefit of the remaining two years of that contract, and not to attract more buyers or sales, because it looks they are already obligated to pay the remaining license fee to BlackBerry Limited.
    08-12-19 07:43 PM
    As far as I understand, if TCL releases Key3, it is going to do that just to get the benefit of the remaining two years of that contract, and not to attract more buyers or sales, because it looks they are already obligated to pay the remaining license fee to BlackBerry Limited.
    That would literally be buying a device knowing full well it is not going to be supported...
    TgeekB and Bay 13 like this.
    08-12-19 07:47 PM
    " ...weren't bad for their period in time." I don't think a non BlackBerry PKB will be satisfying compared to the KEY2 BlackBerry. I am thinking it would be extremely hard to go back to something that in the past was considered "not bad" after typing on a KEY2. I even find it to be a step backward to type on my KEYone.
    The Unihertz fiasco shows that more people care about price than anything else. It seems that many of the remaining so called BB fans stuck around because the hardware was cheap to buy. The comments regarding price, specs and IP show that BB “fans” or “loyalists” are the very reason why everything has failed more or less. If nobody can make a decent ROI for their shareholders, then you lose choices.

Even the big guys of Android/iOS, ultimately, do it for the shareholders, regardless of what their marketing says.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-12-19 07:47 PM
    That would literally be buying a device knowing full well it is not going to be supported...
    They will offer the regular two years of security patches at least.
    08-12-19 07:51 PM
    They will offer the regular two years of security patches at least.
    For $1000.00 a pop they better!
    08-12-19 07:52 PM
    We all should race out to get the Key3. I guess it is going to be more limited than the Key2 Red.
    I don't know how crazy that could be in the USA. LOL
    08-12-19 07:55 PM
    Call me a fool in denial, but no, I am NOT going to face that.

Even if it's a single kickstarter project that produces the last PKB standing, I WILL back it and use it as a primary, whether also carrying a slab or not.
    Even if it's a pile of junk that falls apart in your hands, and sends all of your keystrokes to China? There has to be limits, no?
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-12-19 07:56 PM
    The Unihertz fiasco shows that more people care about price than anything else. It seems that many of the remaining so called BB fans stuck around because the hardware was cheap to buy. The comments regarding price, specs and IP show that BB “fans” or “loyalists” are the very reason why everything has failed more or less. If nobody can make a decent ROI for their shareholders, then you lose choices.

Even the big guys of Android/iOS, ultimately, do it for the shareholders, regardless of what their marketing says.
    Well I think anyone who has used a KEY2 or some of the other good BlackBerry pkb phones are in for a surprise when they get these Unihertz phones. A big letdown is awaiting them, just you wait and see. They will moan and grown about the keyboard or keep an embarrassed silence about how poor it is compared to how their BlackBerrys were.
    howarmat and pgg101 like this.
    08-12-19 08:04 PM
    Well I think anyone who has used a KEY2 or some of the other good BlackBerry pkb phones are in for a surprise when they get these Unihertz phones. A big letdown is awaiting them, just you wait and see. They will moan and grown about the keyboard or keep an embarrassed silence about how poor it is compared to how their BlackBerrys were.
    I agree but then again I’ve never been one that complained about price. My reason for not buying the Key2 was simply not offered by AT&T and carrier support is my first criteria.
    08-12-19 08:20 PM
    Even if it's a pile of junk that falls apart in your hands, and sends all of your keystrokes to China? There has to be limits, no?
    Lmao that's an...interesting way to put it.

Well I'd like it to be at least on par with the BBMo devices.

Still, even a single PKB option is better than none.

Hopefully it doesn't have to come to this. I'm really hopeful.
    08-12-19 08:30 PM
    Lmao that's an...interesting way to put it.

Well I'd like it to be at least on par with the BBMo devices.
    I actually wasn't talking about the Titan necessary btw. Just testing your limits.

If you're looking for "at least on par" with the culmination of 15 years of BlackBerry keyboard IP, then you're setting yourself up for automatic disappointment, unless BlackBerry themselves stay in the game somehow.
    08-12-19 08:33 PM
    I actually wasn't talking about the Titan necessary btw. Just testing your limits.

If you're looking for "at least on par" with the culmination of 15 years of BlackBerry keyboard IP, then you're setting yourself up for automatic disappointment, unless BlackBerry themselves stay in the game somehow.
    I disagree. There were others who made half decent PKB's, and that will do just fine. Not as good as full-on BB expertise, but better than nothing.

Take the Nokia E71's for example.
    08-12-19 08:36 PM
    I disagree. There were others who made half decent PKB's, and that will do just fine. Not as good as full-on BB expertise, but better than nothing.

Take the Nokia E71's for example.
    Ok. That's fine then. But you weren't talking about "half decent" and "not as good as full-on BB" a minute ago - you wanted "at least on par".
    08-12-19 08:52 PM
    - TCL used the remaining repair phone parts to make few units of the RED Key2, so expect almost no spare parts of Key2 in the future.
    I'm pretty sure I said exactly this a few weeks ago... and several argued against it.
    08-12-19 09:02 PM
549 12345 ...