the BS just doesnt stop spewing.....
    03-06-11 11:35 PM
    I'm still waiting for the example of the OTA vulnerabilities the iPhone platform has. Pretty sure I asked for it a few pages back and the poster in question never said anything more about it.

Just FYI, browser access from the iPhone is no less and no more secure than it would be from a PC hitting the same website. If you disagree with this, bring the details. Otherwise stop spewing for the sake of BB support.

BTW, since BIS was mentioned a few times by the KW, when RIM faced the ban from other countries due to encryption, I'm pretty sure I read that they finally indicated that BIS traffic is not encrypted endpoint to endpoint.
    03-06-11 11:43 PM
    For the casual ignorant careless user a blackberry is a much better choice. They would only buy apps from Appworld and I am sure they're much safer overall.
    I know a so called Android "developer", anybody putting an app on any market should have proper support, not a spare time thing, Bugs galore too, should have proper testing before releasing anything to the unsuspected public, especially when there were several similar apps in the market anyway which he bought before he made his.
    I would rather pay good money and be sure it works properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 04:07 AM
    JR you can search the crackberry forums for iphone pdf vulnerability. Lots of stuff comes up. But this is an example of a drive by. Let me google that for you...
    03-07-11 08:05 AM
    the BS just doesnt stop spewing.....
    +1 you said it.
    03-07-11 08:06 AM
    JR you can search the crackberry forums for iphone pdf vulnerability. Lots of stuff comes up. But this is an example of a drive by. Let me google that for you...
    lol, ya, because the BB never had PDF vulnerabilities?

PDF vulnerability found in Blackberry Attachment Service -- Government Computer News

Keep coming...
    03-07-11 09:43 AM
    lol, ya, because the BB never had PDF vulnerabilities?

PDF vulnerability found in Blackberry Attachment Service -- Government Computer News

Keep coming...
    The vulnerability could allow a malicious individual to cause buffer overflow errors, which may result in arbitrary code execution on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Attachment Service. While code execution is possible, an attack is more likely to result in the PDF rendering process terminating before it completes. In the event of such an unexpected process termination, the PDF rendering process will restart automatically but will not resume processing the same PDF file.

Successful exploitation of this vulnerability requires a malicious individual to persuade a BlackBerry smartphone user to open a specially crafted PDF file on a BlackBerry smartphone that is associated with a user account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The PDF file may be attached to an email message or the BlackBerry smartphone user may retrieve it from a web site using the BlackBerry Browser.

Nobody(especially me) ever said RIM is immune. This is not technically a phone vulnerability and is only BES related, although you are pointing out is in software developed by RIM. A denial of service is still
    not quite in the same league as rooting the phone via a pdf exploit or specially crafted malware type app.

In addition, the phone itself does not need to be patched for the vulnerability to be rendered ineffective.
    03-07-11 11:49 AM
    Yes it is....Apple has some serious security issuses....over the air....software and haredware wise....wouldn't be banking on one...I'm sure many forumers can guide you to some shocking articles....RIM is the only company to have heavily encrypted front end and back infrastructure....it's their primary reason for being slower then the competition in many aspects to move forward..everything that RIM undertakes has a security first foundation. Which makes it more challenging to innovate at a rapid pace.....however QNX has the highest security ratings possible....so you should see them innovate at a rapid rate of acceleration from this point onward

There are MILLIONS of people banking on their iPhones. I have yet to see or hear about massive amounts of people getting their information stolen. Actually, I haven't really heard anything about it period.
    03-07-11 12:11 PM
    That's why I only use apps from Appworld and not from jaredco's app store....that's what you end up with, purchasing through a 3rd party app store. Buyer beware

Those apps ARE in app world and RIM has not pulled them yet.
    03-07-11 12:14 PM
    The vulnerability could allow a malicious individual to cause buffer overflow errors, which may result in arbitrary code execution on the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Attachment Service. While code execution is possible, an attack is more likely to result in the PDF rendering process terminating before it completes. In the event of such an unexpected process termination, the PDF rendering process will restart automatically but will not resume processing the same PDF file.

Successful exploitation of this vulnerability requires a malicious individual to persuade a BlackBerry smartphone user to open a specially crafted PDF file on a BlackBerry smartphone that is associated with a user account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The PDF file may be attached to an email message or the BlackBerry smartphone user may retrieve it from a web site using the BlackBerry Browser.

Nobody(especially me) ever said RIM is immune. This is not technically a phone vulnerability and is only BES related, although you are pointing out is in software developed by RIM. A denial of service is still
    not quite in the same league as rooting the phone via a pdf exploit or specially crafted malware type app.

In addition, the phone itself does not need to be patched for the vulnerability to be rendered ineffective.
    That's just one example i7. If it was up to you, we'd be sitting here all day flinging poo at each other via various weaknesses or issues with all platforms out there regardless of if it's a phone or computer or whatever. Case in point, learn to deal with the fact that everything out there has a weakness no matter what. You're making it out to seem like everyone with anything but a BB in their pockets is about to catch AIDS.

Also, while we're at it, the PDF vulnerability that was used to jailbreak iDevices via the jailbreak website link has already been patched as of ohhh, 4.0.2, which is way older then the 4.2.x code everyone is running now. So really, all you're doing is digging up non-relevant old stuff from middle of last year pal.

Like I said, keep coming...
    03-07-11 04:03 PM
    That's just one example i7. If it was up to you, we'd be sitting here all day flinging poo at each other via various weaknesses or issues with all platforms out there regardless of if it's a phone or computer or whatever. Case in point, learn to deal with the fact that everything out there has a weakness no matter what. You're making it out to seem like everyone with anything but a BB in their pockets is about to catch AIDS.

Also, while we're at it, the PDF vulnerability that was used to jailbreak iDevices via the jailbreak website link has already been patched as of ohhh, 4.0.2, which is way older then the 4.2.x code everyone is running now. So really, all you're doing is digging up non-relevant old stuff from middle of last year pal.

Like I said, keep coming...
    This is not about tit for tat. This is about serious critical vulnerabilities in Androids, drive by rootings and the ability to crack an iphone in 6 minutes if the phone is in your possession. Versus, some denial of service on BES. The stupidity with this Jaredco app is a misuse of your personal information, that has the potential for happening on any computing device. But some devices are more immune to rootings than others.

It's not about keep it coming, it's a discussion point. I'm thinking of getting an iphone so I'm not saying these cracking techniques would really deter me or really worry me.
    03-08-11 10:35 AM
    There are MILLIONS of people banking on their iPhones. I have yet to see or hear about massive amounts of people getting their information stolen. Actually, I haven't really heard anything about it period.
    You probably never will. Just like classified terrorist information, just because we haven't heard of any public potential threats recently, doesn't mean there aren't any.

This type of information, imo, is kept close to the vest.
    03-08-11 10:37 AM
    You probably never will. Just like classified terrorist information, just because we haven't heard of any public potential threats recently, doesn't mean there aren't any.

By that rationale we might as well assume that RIM's servers have been hacked as well just that no one knows about it
    03-08-11 11:16 AM

Creditcard info and banking info being stolen in masses would definitely be reported.
    03-08-11 11:44 AM
    This is not about tit for tat. This is about serious critical vulnerabilities in Androids, drive by rootings and the ability to crack an iphone in 6 minutes if the phone is in your possession. Versus, some denial of service on BES. The stupidity with this Jaredco app is a misuse of your personal information, that has the potential for happening on any computing device. But some devices are more immune to rootings than others.

It's not about keep it coming, it's a discussion point. I'm thinking of getting an iphone so I'm not saying these cracking techniques would really deter me or really worry me.
    Like I said, AS OF 4.0.2, the Adobe flaw has been patched and what's left is the normal Jailbreaking process if someone has posession of the device. So, THERE'S NO DRIVE BY ROOTINGS!!!! as you so put it.

How many times do I have to say it?!
    03-08-11 02:04 PM
    I wonder how many results I'd get if I googled security vulnerabilities for the following platforms. I'll give my result estimation in brackets, without having actually searched...
    BlackBerry (2'500'000'000, yes, that is 2.5 BILLION)
    iOS (1'000'000)
    Android (5'000'000)

and yet I'm still a loyal BlackBerry user and plan to be 10 or so years down the line...
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 03-08-11 at 04:32 PM.
    03-08-11 04:20 PM
    By that rationale we might as well assume that RIM's servers have been hacked as well just that no one knows about it
    That is correct. Or not.
    03-08-11 09:43 PM
    Like I said, AS OF 4.0.2, the Adobe flaw has been patched and what's left is the normal Jailbreaking process if someone has posession of the device. So, THERE'S NO DRIVE BY ROOTINGS!!!! as you so put it.

Okay, there were drive by rootings.
    03-08-11 09:45 PM
    I wonder how many results I'd get if I googled security vulnerabilities for the following platforms. I'll give my result estimation in brackets, without having actually searched...
    iOS (1'000'000)
    Android (5'000'000)

and yet I'm still a loyal BlackBerry user and plan to be 10 or so years down the line...
    i did search because i could. this is from Google by all means use a different search site (yes even dogpile GASP!)
    blackberry: 240,000 results
    ios: 674,000 results
    android: 1,280,000 results
    yes those are the results, now the problem with this is how many are repeats and how many are just random b.s. blog posts? don't know and i will not take the time to go through them all. If you don't believe the numbers by all means check your self ill wait.... go ahead. but not to sound like I'm against you or nothing I'm still with you and being loyal to rim. Even though this lack of information from rim has made me peak at the others only to scurry back and say ill wait for it or freeze my self until it releases to make time go faster.
    Last edited by soulwolf; 03-08-11 at 10:20 PM.
    03-08-11 10:17 PM
    Just FYI, for those of you unaware, but iOS is also used by Cisco for their router/switch/firewall software name, so you'll get mixed results on your search. Just putting that info out there, that's all.
    03-08-11 11:24 PM
    The reason why I ranked BlackBerry with so many is because of how much longer it has been out in comparison to iOS/Android. It seems my maths was way wrong. Now excluding iOS (due to the mixed-bag of results, I'll research it later by using the term iPhone instead of iOS), compare the BlackBerry and the Android results... It makes my last post look like a failed attempt at trolling (which it wasn't, it was a mix of sarcasm and exaggeration). This shows BlackBerry is stronger at security than Android (but the Android fanboys will try to say otherwise), especially given how it has been out much longer than Android has.
    03-09-11 01:41 AM

Pwn2Own 2011: On cue, Apple drops massive Safari, iOS patches | ZDNet

'Nuff said.
    03-09-11 06:40 PM
    iOS (1'000'000)
    Android (5'000'000)

We're used to that with your "statistics", no need to explain...
    03-09-11 07:48 PM
    I was looking forward to reading something that said iOS got hacked again. Seems I clicked on a link that just told me Apple and Google released several patches to their OSs and browsers ahead of an annual hack contest. Guess what?... Tuesday was MS's patch Tuesday.

Oh the conspiracy. lol
    03-09-11 08:27 PM
    I was looking forward to reading something that said iOS got hacked again. Seems I clicked on a link that just told me Apple and Google released several patches to their OSs and browsers ahead of an annual hack contest. Guess what?... Tuesday was MS's patch Tuesday.

Oh the conspiracy. lol
    Mike lazaradis founded the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics at the U of waterloo in 2000 and has become the premier center for physics on the globe...ranks in top 3 I believe....Steven Hawkings sits on the board and even resides in waterloo in the summer to conduct research...he can't be here year round due to our climate....anyhoo back on topic

They are currently working on uncrackable encryption and encryption in general....guess who gets acsess on the info and the implamentation of it....if you guessed Mike L and Rim you are correct! Connect the dots with my reply as you see fit ( leading center for encryption research in the world)

U of W is well recognized around the globe as the place to be as far as computer sciences go...

As far as qnx security goes.....

http://www.qnx.com/solutions/industries/defense.html.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-09-11 at 10:05 PM.
    03-09-11 09:50 PM
111 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD