Has anyone else noticed the inconsistency of blackberry models being released?

If I understand releases correctly the 8900 was/is the Curve 2, to be the replacement of the original Curve. Now we hear that the 8520 or the Gemini is to be thought of as a Curve upgrade. Why another Curve type so soon?

9000 Bold was to be the replacement for the 8800. Now we hear there is the 9020 or the Onyx which is said to be the upgrade to the Bold. Again why another upgrade so soon for this model?

I love that RIM keeps putting out new phones, dont get me wrong. I live in an area where only one carrier provides coverage and they are cdma. So, my options are limited on BB choices since the provider is considered a smaller one. After the 8900 release we heard news of the 8930 or Jupiter which never showed. This after no Bold version. Im glad to see that the 9630 Tour looks to be a blending of 8900 and 9000 for cdma.

This is not about why cdma gets models later, I understand that. This is just me asking why it seems RIM is releasing new versions of models before the current ones have even reached their full markets.

Zannor
    06-17-09 10:24 AM
    The expression "Spinning Plastic" comes to mind.

The 8900 is an upgraded device in a Curve form factor. Many users consider Curve the perfect fit, it makes sense to stay with what works and build on the success.

IMHO, the Curve and Pearl will be with us for a very long time, they are both an excellent choice. More Memory is always welcome, particularly with the extensive choices of third party software.
    06-17-09 10:34 AM
    I think the Curve, Bold, Storm and Pearl aren't just BB models anymore. They are all now an individual line of devices (Curve line, Bold line, Storm line, etc...).
    Last edited by 1 2 MaNy; 06-17-09 at 11:21 AM.
    06-17-09 11:19 AM
    All they are doing is releaseing basically the same devices. They are hybrids of previously released devices and it's making me sick. And people are drinking the koolaid looking for the "release" of a new device when it's basically the same as other device with a few spec and form tweaks, but nothing major. I'm sticking with my Bold until they revamp something because it's getting pretty boring and dull watching the release of the same devices.
    06-17-09 11:29 AM
    I've already said i'm keeping my 8900 Curve until TMO comes out with a 3G Blackberry.
    06-17-09 11:41 AM
    All they are doing is releaseing basically the same devices. They are hybrids of previously released devices and it's making me sick. And people are drinking the koolaid looking for the "release" of a new device when it's basically the same as other device with a few spec and form tweaks, but nothing major. I'm sticking with my Bold until they revamp something because it's getting pretty boring and dull watching the release of the same devices.
    Maybe if your with a GSM network. The last BB released on my network (Sprint) was the 8330, so I very much welcome the very different 9630. The Tour and the Curve are not even close to the same device.
    06-17-09 11:56 AM
    I agree I'm really looking forward to the 9630 Tour. I was just surprised to see a new curve and bold when the previous releases hadn't made full rounds yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 12:05 PM
    Maybe if your with a GSM network. The last BB released on my network (Sprint) was the 8330, so I very much welcome the very different 9630. The Tour and the Curve are not even close to the same device.
    I agree with you. Of course the Tour is totally difference than the Curve. But that's not what I'm saying. I'm not looking at it from a carrier's perspective, just looking at devices across the board. So it's good that you are finally getting a newer blackberry. Nevertheless, it's still a remanufactured device. The might as well just gave you guys the Bold. But they tweak it slightly and then name it differently just to give the illusion that they are releasing a lot of "new", "different" devices. It's like cooking Steak and potatoes for dinner and using the leftovers to make stew. Sure its a "new" meal, but same ingredients with some slight tweaks. Congrats though, but still doesn't change the fact.
    06-17-09 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD