2 Years ago I bought an android phone. HTC Desire pretty solid phone for its time. I overlooked the Blackberry's totally because I had no idea what they meant. From my point of view a 9300 / 9900 / 9879 /9780 /9872 etc meant nothing to me.

It was easy for me to line up the HTC Desire, Motorola droid, Xperia , and legend and pick them apart and find the phone I want.

I would think it would make more sense for RIM to focus more on a name than a number.. They seam to be doing it a little but two different Bolds makes little sense to me.

I did buy a 9900 just before Christmas to go with my Playbook - Love it. Just wish it was a wireless hotspot, would be nice to power my other gizmo's as well as my playbook.
    01-02-12 02:56 PM
    I agree, RIM's Numbers make it confusing to the general public

Bold 9780, Bold 9900, Bold 9790 all on sale on the same shelves
    Curve 9300, Curve 9360, Curve 9380 all on the same shevles
    Torch 9800, Torch 9810, Torch 9860 , all on the same Shelf

RIM needs to work on their Branding better in the future.
    01-02-12 03:04 PM
    The current numbering scheme will have to change soon - they are almost out of higher numbers to use (leading 2 digits).
    01-02-12 03:07 PM
    2 Years ago I bought an android phone. HTC Desire pretty solid phone for its time. I overlooked the Blackberry's totally because I had no idea what they meant. From my point of view a 9300 / 9900 / 9879 /9780 /9872 etc meant nothing to me.

It was easy for me to line up the HTC Desire, Motorola droid, Xperia , and legend and pick them apart and find the phone I want.

I would think it would make more sense for RIM to focus more on a name than a number.. They seam to be doing it a little but two different Bolds makes little sense to me.

I did buy a 9900 just before Christmas to go with my Playbook - Love it. Just wish it was a wireless hotspot, would be nice to power my other gizmo's as well as my playbook.
    wi-fi hotspot is available , if you find a leaked copy of 7.1 .. you'll find it floating around hehe
    01-02-12 03:11 PM
    Yes RIM's branding and marketing of devices is truly atrocious. They have way too many devices available, and too few names names used (torch is a slider and all touch now). Now they have the BeBold campaign with the 9900 featured, but you can still buy 9780 and now the 9790 which are also Bolds. I really believe that they need to more time and effort into the marketing side of the business. Also think they should consider rebranding the BB10 devices from something other than "Blackberry" for the US market. Do what all the Japanese car makers did to sell upscale models here and create a new brand for these new devices (at least in the US). I say this because the Blackberry name here isn't viewed like it was in 2004 through 2008 timeframe and actually has a lot of negativity tied to it from the last couple of years of bad press and corporate mistakes. Keep the name in Asia and elsewhere because the brand is doing well there and the name is still reputable.
    01-02-12 04:15 PM
    As long as they don't follow Intel's logic and come out with the Bold 90086, 90186, Curve 80386, etc then we're good.

I wonder what happened with the Tour name, they just phased it out after using it in one or two models
    01-02-12 04:23 PM
    As long as they don't follow Intel's logic and come out with the Bold 90086, 90186, Curve 80386, etc then we're good.

I wonder what happened with the Tour name, they just phased it out after using it in one or two models
    tours gone with the do-do. The style was suppose do to be a tour but like the storm the name came with such a bad rep they just didnt want to cotninue with it anymore
    01-02-12 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD