Why does BlackBerry Mobile have "tablet devices" as one of their tags at MWC?

Saw this on PhoneArena.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 08:48 PM
    Don't hold your breath. There are really only 4 tablets that sell:

- iPad
    - Surface
    - Samsung
    - Fire (at $49 outright!)

No one else has made any money in the tablet market (most have lost money), so I don't think TCL is going to be in any big hurry to release a tablet, especially not a BB tablet. They're using BB to target government/enterprise, and it's not like either of those have been beating down the door asking for another Android tablet option.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-23-17 09:09 PM
    Oh I completely agree with you, but it is odd:

BlackBerry Mobile tablet?-img_20170223_211414.png
    BlackBerry Mobile tablet?-img_20170223_211315.png

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 09:14 PM
    Why does BlackBerry Mobile have "tablet devices" as one of their tags at MWC?

Saw this on PhoneArena.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not holding my breath either, but back in August was talking to a source I have and she mentioned a tablet and blackberry. Everything else she has told me has happened in the last two years...so maybe..we will find out Saturday
    02-23-17 09:21 PM
    I'm not holding my breath either, but back in August was talking to a source I have and she mentioned a tablet and blackberry. Everything else she has told me has happened in the last two years...so maybe..we will find out Saturday
    It was in the works years ago but was scrapped around the time Chen came in.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 09:27 PM
    Steve Cistulli did retweet about a request for a BlackBerry BlackBerry Tablet 2 days ago.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-17 09:49 PM
    It was in the works years ago but was scrapped around the time Chen came in.

Posted via CB10
    I know about that one...this was around the time TCL came on the scene ( behind the scenes ) just before the Dtek50 launch or just after. We will see
    02-23-17 10:12 PM
    Oh I completely agree with you, but it is odd:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170223_211414.png 
Views:	468 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	417954
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170223_211315.png 
Views:	466 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	417955

Posted via CB10
    Oh
    My
    God.

The second 'B' in BlackBerry as displayed in the picture above is not capitalized.

😐
    02-23-17 10:29 PM
    I know about that one...this was around the time TCL came on the scene ( behind the scenes ) just before the Dtek50 launch or just after. We will see
    Well let me get my tinfoil hat ready for this one. Lol
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-24-17 12:33 AM
    Well let me get my tinfoil hat ready for this one. Lol
    You got a tinfoil hat? Like a real one? How much you want for it?
    02-24-17 12:37 AM
    You got a tinfoil hat? Like a real one? How much you want for it?
    Well like I said, I've got to get it ready first. So, I'll let you know how much I want for it on February 30th.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-24-17 12:47 AM
    Well like I said, I've got to get it ready first. So, I'll let you know how much I want for it on February 30th.
    Custom!! Nice! I love custom
    02-24-17 12:49 AM
    Steve Cistulli did retweet about a request for a BlackBerry BlackBerry Tablet 2 days ago.

Posted via CB10
    As a matter of fact, he did and replied "I agree". Now why would he re-tweet such a thing right before MWC and say he agrees with it? Just asking. TCL does make nice tablets. And they are not expensive. I have one I got with a promo package from T-Mobile a few months ago.

Here is the tweet and reply: Steve Cistulli Retweeted
    Paul� @djsacrosanct Feb 21
    @steveCistulli @bbmobile @bbmobileUS It would be a blessing to see a new @blackberry @Android tablet come out! #BlackBerryMobile
    3 replies 7 retweets 20 likes

In reply to Paul
    Steve Cistulli� @steveCistulli Feb 21
    @djsacrosanct @bbmobile @bbmobileUS @blackberry @Android I agree...
    02-24-17 01:24 AM
    Guys, I have a prototype pic of the forthcoming DTEK tablet, please don't share it outside this forum:
    BlackBerry Mobile tablet?-volcano_black.png
    kvndoom likes this.
    02-24-17 03:28 AM
    I would definitely love to see a blackberry tablet but like a lot of others I'd be very hesitant to get into this space. Tablets don't seem to be flying off the shelves like they used to and seems like an even tougher market than smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 08:19 AM
    I would definitely love to see a blackberry tablet but like a lot of others I'd be very hesitant to get into this space. Tablets don't seem to be flying off the shelves like they used to and seems like an even tougher market than smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    Well, they did jump into the Android phone market. I guess the only niche would be the security area with hardened Android for a tablet as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 08:51 AM
    Well, they did jump into the Android phone market. I guess the only niche would be the security area with hardened Android for a tablet as well.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah to a point but you don't see many companies running around with tablets anymore. There's a lot of convertibles and things being used at least that's what I see.

I'd love to have one but definitely seems like a scary proposition for them at this time.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-17 08:57 AM
    Well...actually with Secusmart they have an Android tablet for government and enterprises. So...whats the point here?
    02-24-17 09:34 AM
    Well...actually with Secusmart they have an Android tablet for government and enterprises. So...whats the point here?
    Unlike that one, this one (if it'll happen) might be something other than a Samsung tablet at significant markup.
    02-24-17 11:35 AM
    Unlike that one, this one (if it'll happen) might be something other than a Samsung tablet at significant markup.
    The fire tablet is a pretty good deal. if blackberry can leverage some similar prices with a slightly higher spec it may be perfect for offices.

some doctors or lawyers dont need ALL $800 ipads, but they DO need their info to be secure. A cheap, secure, PDF reader or diagnostic monitor could be huge
    02-25-17 11:41 PM
    The fire tablet is a pretty good deal. if blackberry can leverage some similar prices with a slightly higher spec it may be perfect for offices.

some doctors or lawyers dont need ALL $800 ipads, but they DO need their info to be secure. A cheap, secure, PDF reader or diagnostic monitor could be huge
    I bet many are already committed to a certain type or brand, but I like your thinking. For example, the residents at my medical center are issued iPads. All secure info is accessed through our protected network on all devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-17 06:38 AM
    You DO understand that Amazon loses $100+ on every Fire tablet it sells, right?

The Fire tablet is a loss-leader. They sell them to customers at a big loss in order to get customers to use them to buy products from Amazon and subscribe to Amazon services, which eventually leads to a profit. They can do that because they have an unbelievably massive infrastructure to make money from.

BB has nothing of the sort, so for BB, selling a tablet with exactly the same specs would lose them even more money - because BB doesn't have a distribution and delivery infrastructure to subsidize delivery. You basically hope that BB will compete with the Fire tablet and be willing to lose $125+ per tablet sold. Just how likely to you suppose that is?

There's a reason BB is out of hardware.
    02-26-17 12:13 PM
    You DO understand that Amazon loses $100+ on every Fire tablet it sells, right?

The Fire tablet is a loss-leader. They sell them to customers at a big loss in order to get customers to use them to buy products from Amazon and subscribe to Amazon services, which eventually leads to a profit. They can do that because they have an unbelievably massive infrastructure to make money from.

BB has nothing of the sort, so for BB, selling a tablet with exactly the same specs would lose them even more money - because BB doesn't have a distribution and delivery infrastructure to subsidize delivery. You basically hope that BB will compete with the Fire tablet and be willing to lose $125+ per tablet sold. Just how likely to you suppose that is?

There's a reason BB is out of hardware.
    For sure. Im not saying to have THAT price with THAT specs. But, do you need an $800 ipad to essentailly act as a screen that monitors a patient? Why not a $300 or $400 tablet?

A secure tablet that does what it does for effiecent pricing can be the answer. The school I teach at just bought 30 chromebooks for the price of 20 iPads... we are immersed in GAFE and have 10 extra devices to work with for the same price. Sure, we cant use iOS apps, but we can use the internet and any google app which is what our school board is pushing. If chromebooks didnt exist we would be stuck spending the same amount of money to get an iPad, which doesnt even have a keyboard.
    02-26-17 12:29 PM
    TCL makes tablets and seems like they are game to try just about anything. They made an agreement with Amazon to put Alexa on a tablet. If they are already licensing the BlackBerry brand and their security dust then a TCL BlackBerry tablet would seem to be a no-brainer. It's probably already in the works. It's really just a matter of them putting the BlackBerry brand on a tablet that they are already making.
    Last edited by early2bed; 02-26-17 at 01:02 PM.
    02-26-17 12:37 PM
    For sure. Im not saying to have THAT price with THAT specs. But, do you need an $800 ipad to essentailly act as a screen that monitors a patient? Why not a $300 or $400 tablet?
    The problem is, there are plenty of those tablets on the market already. Why would someone choose a BB tablet over one of the bigger, better-known, more successful players that are more likely to be around to support their product?

Lower price? BB isn't price-competitive because of their lower volumes.
    Better performance? Nope.
    Better security? Devices that need security will be on an MDM already, and for almost everyone, that's enough.

BB just doesn't have anything to offer in the tablet space that would make someone choose them over a Samsung, LG, Asus, or whatever.
    02-26-17 12:59 PM
27 12