Someone already said it but it really should be stressed that people know when youre reading their messages but ignoring them. Ive seen quite a few arguments go from bad to worse just because of bbm.

They should add a feature to where the person gets a "this person is not accepting messages" message or something. I know you can be unavailable, but since messages still flow its pretty worthless.
    05-05-11 10:07 AM
    This should have been on my list of Cons...broadcasting is so annoying...#1 reason why I delete people!

which brings up a another point... broadcasting. send a broadcast to one, multiple or all your contacts.
    fastpitch_dad likes this.
    05-05-11 10:07 AM
    I hate when people broadcast messages. Especially with stupid stories or "chain" letters or whatever. Get a life.

Aside from that, I adore BBM.
    haha....ain't that the truth !!
    05-05-11 10:13 AM
    which brings up a another point... broadcasting. send a broadcast to one, multiple or all your contacts.
    Broadcast messages, I don't use. I change my status at least 10 times a day so my contacts can read that I'm in a meeting, driving, sleeping, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-11 10:33 AM
    Cons:
    I don't know anybody who uses it.

Pros:
    Not sure, see "cons" above.
    05-05-11 12:03 PM
    i don't do groups and sometimes the people that need to get messages aren't in groups (when i did groups)... do those that "hate" and/or never use broadcast, would you send the same message to 4 or more people?

for example.... i would need to send a broadcast message to my ex and her sisters about where to meet up and at what time. another example i use it would be for the example i used in a previous post. i also needed it at at&t... my boss expected our whole team to be reachable by bbm and would have me send a broadcast to meet in her office for urgent updates/happenings around the call center.

y'all must have some annoying contacts. i apologize for them. lol.
    05-05-11 01:23 PM
    SMS has a very high failure rate in rural environments since your SMS will try and transmit only 6 times before assuming a dead connection. so in Markets that have yet to even see 3G coverage SMS is still very unreliable
    /shrug/ I have WiFi Calling so my SMS works over WiFi as well as my calls.

I liev in a rural area where it's rare that I get above 2 bars GPRS and SMS has been spot on for me even on my phone that doesn't have WiFi Calling. The only time I've had SMS issues is on New Years Eve Night/Early Day when the networks are overloaded like ****. I've been dealing with this coverage for 6+ years now, and never had any issues with reliability outside of that timeframe.

SMS doesn't require 3G coverage, it just needs a GSM connection :P That's why dumb phones without 3G radios have no issues sending and recieving SMS (and MMS, for that matter).
    05-05-11 02:53 PM
    I travel widely to REAL rural area ( population density 1 person per 300 square miles).if you have a blanketed coverage in your area I don't call it rural, I would say I get about 5 failed SMS per week, and 6 or 8 failed emails

Failure rate on BBM less than 1 per month

05-05-11 03:03 PM
    i don't do groups and sometimes the people that need to get messages aren't in groups (when i did groups)... do those that "hate" and/or never use broadcast, would you send the same message to 4 or more people?

for example.... i would need to send a broadcast message to my ex and her sisters about where to meet up and at what time. another example i use it would be for the example i used in a previous post. i also needed it at at&t... my boss expected our whole team to be reachable by bbm and would have me send a broadcast to meet in her office for urgent updates/happenings around the call center.

y'all must have some annoying contacts. i apologize for them. lol.
    Heh, I don't hate broadcast, just don't use it since my contacts are personal, and we pretty much all know what an "I'm sleeping, in a meeting, driving, etc" status is tellling everyone in my/their list.

05-05-11 05:52 PM
    I travel widely to REAL rural area ( population density 1 person per 300 square miles).if you have a blanketed coverage in your area I don't call it rural, I would say I get about 5 failed SMS per week, and 6 or 8 failed emails

Failure rate on BBM less than 1 per month

This is a rural area, and it would be literally impossible to get a failed BBM here becuase T-Mobile has free UMA.

I don't get failed SMS/MMS or emails here because T-Mobile has WiFi calling and everything is routed through my data connection.

Don't wanna do the semantics thing. First talking about not having 3G coverage and now the definition of a Rural are. The population density has nothing to do with it. The connection type/strength is more of what I was referring to.

2 Bars of GPRS is almost no connection (5 Bar GPRS -> 5 Bar EDGE -> 5 Bar 3G). It's about what you'd expect in any rural area that anyone would consider having coverage...

Anything less than that and you mind as well not even have a cell phone if you spend most of your time in those areas...
    Last edited by N8ter; 05-05-11 at 07:19 PM.
    05-05-11 07:11 PM
    This is a rural area, and it would be literally impossible to get a failed BBM here becuase T-Mobile has free UMA.

I don't get failed SMS/MMS or emails here because T-Mobile has WiFi calling and everything is routed through my data connection.

Don't wanna do the semantics thing. First talking about not having 3G coverage and now the definition of a Rural are. The population density has nothing to do with it. The connection type/strength is more of what I was referring to.

2 Bars of GPRS is almost no connection (5 Bar GPRS -> 5 Bar EDGE -> 5 Bar 3G). It's about what you'd expect in any rural area that anyone would consider having coverage...

Anything less than that and you mind as well not even have a cell phone if you spend most of your time in those areas...
    Well, smartphone. You could still use a Nokia 3310 on GSM only However if you live in an area where you can't even get 1 bar of GSM signal (so no data)...
    05-06-11 09:19 PM
    Thanks for all the replies

Still trying to get my head around how BBM works in relation to charges.
    MY understanding is that as I've got the Blackberry additional data-plan (I'm on Vodafone UK), regardless of where I am in the world, if I want to send a BBM, it will go through the BIS server. No roaming charges etc. In other words, it's free.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this - probably due to the varying range of data-plans available worldwide.

I can see that there's some great benefits to BBM, especially if you've got lots of friends/contacts using 'Berry though.

Dan
    05-07-11 03:37 AM
    Thanks for all the replies

Still trying to get my head around how BBM works in relation to charges.
    MY understanding is that as I've got the Blackberry additional data-plan (I'm on Vodafone UK), regardless of where I am in the world, if I want to send a BBM, it will go through the BIS server. No roaming charges etc. In other words, it's free.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information about this - probably due to the varying range of data-plans available worldwide.

I can see that there's some great benefits to BBM, especially if you've got lots of friends/contacts using 'Berry though.

Dan
    Yeah, it depends on the contracts, some have a few international mb included and they would never notice any charges. I looked at my wife's bill after she came back from a week in new york and she only used 1.6 mb of roaming data. Considering we sent at least 300 bbms each, about 10 photos and a few voice notes from the kids I'd say it's pretty amazing.

05-07-11 03:44 AM
    You can also send zip files through BBM, love that!! Also a great way to share wallpapers/pics................................
    05-10-11 04:49 PM
    The fact that you can create a group with your wife and share calenders.
    05-12-11 10:04 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD