Is blackberry messenger set to the cell phone or does it go the blackberry network?
    09-14-08 07:01 AM
    The pin number is cell phone specific is that what you are talking about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-08 07:17 AM
    09-14-08 07:27 AM
    Are you asking if BB Messenger uses data or minutes?
    09-14-08 07:46 AM
    I think the threadstarter wants to know if BB messenger uses the data on the cell phone network OR BIS. Well correct me if i am wrong, but if you signed up for BIS, then all data that you use such as pushmail, internet browsing, bb messenger, googletalk, etc all uses the data that your service provider charges you for BIS. Fact is you're using either 3G or GPRS to access all those data.

Meaning to say. BIS = data = GPRS/3G

However, if your handset has wifi and you are in a wifi network (such as at home), then my opinion is all data goes through the wifi network and not GPRS/3G, which means you're not using BIS any longer.

I don't know if this makes sense or logical. But i used to wonder about this in the past. So what i did was to turn my network radio off and leave my wifi radio switched on and connected to my home network. I was still able to receive my emails, talk on bb/windows/google messenger, surf the net.

So i'm guessing the phone is "smart". when it connects to a wifi network, it'll switch over all data transfers to wifi. When its out of range, then 3G/GPRS it is.

BB experts, please provide your comments. Thanks.
    Last edited by kingrx; 09-14-08 at 09:10 AM.
    09-14-08 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD