No

#soon , later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    02-24-17 06:55 PM
    Honestly it depends on what success is defined as. Will it sell millions of devices? I don't think so. Will it sell a million devices, I doubt it. When BB launched the Z10 everyone was in here saying that as soon as they released a keyboard version of it that the devices would fly off the shelves. That obviously didn't happen. The excuse given was that it didn't have the trackpad and that people wouldn't adapt to a keyboard phone without that. So BlackBerry then releases the Classic. People again were saying this was the device to put Blackberry on the map again. Sales were miserable.

Fast forward to Android. When the Priv was announced people said "An Android phone with a keyboard. This is the one that will sell." Sales were miserable. The excuse given was "well people want an all touch Android phone, not a slider." So Blackberry releases the DTEK50. Sales were miserable. The excuse given was that the specs were weak and people didn't want an overpriced device with garbage specs. So BlackBerry releases the DTEK 60. "This is the one! Its got relevant specs and will sell through the roof!" Again, sales were miserable.

I hope it sells well but I honestly don't think that BlackBerry can compete in the Android space. Its way to competitive and I don't think there are enough people out there wanting a keyboard device that is going to cause this device to have any meaningful sales. If they are only after a small portion of the business market then they might be able to do something there, but as far as this device making BlackBerry a relevant player again, I just don't see it happening. And honestly its no skin off of BlackBerry if it doesn't sell since they didn't make the device.
    I am not sure the Dtek's count as there was very little carrier support. Almost none.

True, BlackBerry may not have a lot of skin in the game but Mercury's fate does matter to those who value a modern recently spec'd PKB phone.

This is it ... if this device fails to make a profit then I suppose that this niche is dead. If there truly is no viable market for a PKB then there really is no compelling need for a BlackBerry phone.

Can TLC make a BlackBerry all touch that looks and feels like a BlackBerry? Maybe they need to hire Joesph Hofer ( former head of BlackBerry design?) . IMO, generic Chinese slab phones that happen to run BlackBerry software are not going to cut it.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-24-17 at 11:35 PM. Reason: On
    02-24-17 11:34 PM
    Pricing the phone as per specs should be at par with other phones however BlackBerry deserves a little premium in upping the security with monthly updates.. so, if the pricing is done well, the phone should sell well..

Eveready Z10
    02-24-17 11:48 PM
    If they can promote it correctly it could get some major traction.

I'm sure there are many people out there who wouldn't mind a PKB but want something that is enticing enough.

BB were close to a success with the Priv, IMO, but they didn't push it enough, at least not where I am, they allowed it get drowned out by the Galaxy and iPhones of the time.
    02-25-17 12:08 AM
    the phones market it's oversaturated,the gamblers are known, there's no room for others, except if you are comming with something extraordinary,unbelievable,out of this world....wich is not the case atm

Via classic
    02-25-17 12:35 AM
    Especially in today's world where the corporate folks are looking at ways to save money. The DTEK series are a perfect fit and much cheaper then their competitors.
    Yes, not bad but but for me it's a similar offer than lumia'phones with the 650 and 950.

What it is great and exiciting from TCL, they have three times more chance to sell there production by offering three OS. If they could offering more than one for each device that maybe buy time to each OS to reach out the succes by not loosing money in first place.

For exemple: you buy a idol 4, in :the box you have a notice that could say after starting the device and configure the Wi-Fi connection, you have to choose your OS for done. And also in the box, two back cover with two different OS logos.

I know this is not exactly the present approach but...maybe soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 01:31 AM
    Mercury won't be a success in India as for the price, BlackBerry has always been high when it comes to price here in India. So here it will fail miserable just like Priv/50/60.

Am sure the price of Mercury in India will be above 40000₹ which will approximately 670/700$, surely at this price range Mercury will fall down twice the speed.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 01:58 AM
    Did the Priv get success??? Now BlackBerry is not going to find any success in the hardware business.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 08:04 AM
    If that US$650 price is true, no.
    cgk likes this.
    02-25-17 08:06 AM
    If that US$650 price is true, no.
    Yep - if that is true, I'm really not sure what to think.
    02-25-17 08:18 AM
    So Mercury will be available at a price of 549$ so by the time it will launch india will be approx 650$ which is about 43000₹ approx.

Mercury in India will flop at this price.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 01:13 PM
    So Mercury will be available at a price of 549$ so by the time it will launch india will be approx 650$ which is about 43000₹ approx.

Mercury in India will flop at this price.

Posted via CB10
    India has its own licencee which will bring devices to that market. Tailored to the "price-sensitive".
    02-25-17 01:15 PM
    India has its own licencee which will bring devices to that market. Tailored to the "price-sensitive".
    Well history repeated again. The same happened with Priv/Dtek60/50 and now KeyOne. Failed. Wish they had kept the price justified. Anyways who cares, I wasn't buying it either way, wanted BlackBerry to bounce back but sad, BlackBerry is gone.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 01:27 PM
    Honestly it depends on what success is defined as. Will it sell millions of devices? I don't think so. Will it sell a million devices, I doubt it. When BB launched the Z10 everyone was in here saying that as soon as they released a keyboard version of it that the devices would fly off the shelves. That obviously didn't happen. The excuse given was that it didn't have the trackpad and that people wouldn't adapt to a keyboard phone without that. So BlackBerry then releases the Classic. People again were saying this was the device to put Blackberry on the map again. Sales were miserable.

Fast forward to Android. When the Priv was announced people said "An Android phone with a keyboard. This is the one that will sell." Sales were miserable. The excuse given was "well people want an all touch Android phone, not a slider." So Blackberry releases the DTEK50. Sales were miserable. The excuse given was that the specs were weak and people didn't want an overpriced device with garbage specs. So BlackBerry releases the DTEK 60. "This is the one! Its got relevant specs and will sell through the roof!" Again, sales were miserable.

I hope it sells well but I honestly don't think that BlackBerry can compete in the Android space. Its way to competitive and I don't think there are enough people out there wanting a keyboard device that is going to cause this device to have any meaningful sales. If they are only after a small portion of the business market then they might be able to do something there, but as far as this device making BlackBerry a relevant player again, I just don't see it happening. And honestly its no skin off of BlackBerry if it doesn't sell since they didn't make the device.
    Exactly, trying to compete in Android space for the price point Blackberry offers is not a viable business. We know for sure today that the Android venture is a total fail and models actually sell less than their BB10 lineup. Their Android strategy is clearly not working and John Chen should have been fired long ago.

The question was will the Mercury be successful and the simple answer is no, it will not sell better than any previous Blackberry Android phone.
    02-25-17 02:02 PM
    Exactly, trying to compete in Android space for the price point Blackberry offers is not a viable business. We know for sure today that the Android venture is a total fail and models actually sell less than their BB10 lineup. Their Android strategy is clearly not working and John Chen should have been fired long ago.

The question was will the Mercury be successful and the simple answer is no, it will not sell better than any previous Blackberry Android phone.
    To the point.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:09 PM
    Exactly, trying to compete in Android space for the price point Blackberry offers is not a viable business.
    This is not a BlackBerry device. It is a TCL device.

I honestly don't think BlackBerry would be too heartbroken if it fails. Its future doesn't depend on the Android licencing deals. It's just gravy.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-25-17 02:13 PM
    This is not a BlackBerry device. It is a TCL device.

I honestly don't think BlackBerry would be too heartbroken if it fails. Its future doesn't depend on the Android licencing deals. It's just gravy.
    If it's not BlackBerry device then why no TCL logo and why BlackBerry logo on back????

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 02:16 PM
    If it's not BlackBerry device then why no TCL logo and why BlackBerry logo on back????

Posted via CB10
    Because TCL has licenced the brand name.
    02-25-17 02:17 PM
    They need to quit pricing these things like they are iphones.
    02-25-17 02:47 PM
    They need to quit pricing these things like they are iphones.
    Who's they? You think TCL is not pricing these as cheap as they can?

When did you last buy a new iPhone for $549?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-25-17 02:50 PM
    Positive reviews are getting about KEYone

Posted via CB10
    02-25-17 04:04 PM
    Who's they? You think TCL is not pricing these as cheap as they can?

When did you last buy a new iPhone for $549?
    iPhones are solid phones with premium quality and they also a highly desirable status symbols. When I held the Priv, it didn't feel premium but more cheap. I think that phone is overpriced and should have been cheaper. If you don't believe me, look at the sales which speak for itself.

With Android phones the competition is even higher as there are premium built phones far cheaper than iPhone or Blackberry.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    02-25-17 04:15 PM
    For myself, it's all about how they price and promote the Mercury. If the price is between $450-499 US I think they will have a winner...
    ...GST/TAX inclusive as well!
    That will suck some potential attentions from other makes users/buyers !
    02-26-17 02:36 AM
48 12