How does the BB memory work?

1 - Does it work like computers where applications reside in memory somewhere (hard drive) and when launched get loaded in RAM?

2 - The storage memory is also used to run the programs? So, you could run all your programs at once and it would use no more memory than what you have available. As a consequence it would perform just as good as if you had none of them running (except for CPU usage)?

Thanks,

Tony
    08-17-09 10:40 AM
    Our memory is used for several purposes. Unlike computer RAM memory, the Flash Memory does not require power to maintain it's content.

First is the Sun Java virtual machine, that occupies about 10 Mb of memory.

Applications are next, they are stored and executed in memory. They are always there and ready for nearly instant activation.

Finally, your data and settings are saved in memory.

The Media card is similar to a computer hard disk drive, but only for data files, not the actual OS or programs.
    08-17-09 10:49 AM
    So essentially the storage RAM is also the RAM used for running the program. So, if an application takes up 10 meg when not running, it uses the same 10 meg when running except for any data that might be downloaded during operation.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

Tony
    08-17-09 12:10 PM
    Don't some models have the app memory and the device memory seperated?
    08-17-09 12:15 PM
    Don't some models have the app memory and the device memory seperated?
    The Bold was the first to include device memory, in addition to Media Card memory. Both are similar, they are not addressable and only used for saving data files.

Tony, Yes, that is the exactly how it works.
    08-17-09 12:21 PM
    The Bold was the first to include device memory, in addition to Media Card memory. Both are similar, they are not addressable and only used for saving data files.

Yeah, I actually remember seeing that now when I played with my buddy's Bold. I remember thinking it was odd too.
    08-17-09 12:28 PM

Thanks for your help, it was very much appreciated. Have a good day.

Tony
    08-17-09 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD