I was having similar problems with getting iTunes Playlists recognised on my home PC.

I did a clean install tonight on my Work laptop using both versions 1.0.0.8 and 1.0.0.11. I got it to work under each version & iTunes 7.7 - no hassles at all & synced fine.

The bad news is I only got it to sync to a NEW (empty) iTunes database which I added a few music files, in the default location (My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl). If I started iTunes with a database in an alternative location (ie External Hard Drive) it still kept pointing to the original empty iTunes & test playlist.

So far to me it looks like the Location of your iTunes DB has a bearing on whether you find music to sync. (For those that don't know, you can specify the location of the database that iTunes uses by holding down SHIFT when starting up iTunes. It will then ask for the location, or to create a new DB.)

I also didn't update DTM/DM, mine is still 4.2. Not sure if this is significant, but I'd be more inclined to think that the iTunes DB location is hard coded somewhere in the iTunes support DLL's. Couldn't find anything in the registry unfortunately.

This is XP SP2, sorry to the other poster but I"m NOT going near SP3 for awhile yet. We've had issues with it & need some more time to test before we play that game.

Hopefully this helps someone and gives someone a leg up on getting further than I have got.
    07-13-08 02:18 PM
    Oh, and for what its worth there doesn't look to be a lot of difference between 1.0.0.8 & 1.0.0.11. To me 1.0.0.11 just looks a bit more polished & release ready.

I think 1.0.0.8 shows a DUMMY list of Playlists when it does not find a valid database, where 1.0.0.11 shows a (more intuitive) empty list. Either way, if you're not getting your full list of playlists then its not working - just telling you in a different way.
    07-13-08 02:32 PM
    I have un-installed XP SP3 and I am still having issues installing. Before I got a message saying that my OS wasn't supported now it fails after accepting the license agreement.

Here is the pop-up.

07-15-08 12:31 AM
    What are the entires in the Install Log (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Media Sync\Logs\Installer)? They'll probably give you somewhere to start...

In general if I have problems reinstalling other software I uninstall & delete any program directory & identifiable registry entries (at your own risk of course!) that still remain as a first step.
    07-15-08 09:56 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD