Any news about future Maps improvements? BlackBerry needs to get their maps app on-par with Google and Apple if they want to win over customers from those other platforms.

One major complaint I have about it is the search functionality is pretty bad. It's going to be tough to match Google's search and suggestions algorithms but they need to close that gap significantly.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-14 02:03 PM
    I agree the search functions for nearby food, entertainment, fuel..... is not even close to Google.

But one reason Google Maps is so good, is it drives revenues to Google. The better it is and the more people that use it the more revenues Google make, so they are very interested in their Map Application being the best. BlackBerry doesn't have the same motivation or resources to drive their development.

There are some complicated threads on how to get Google Maps to work - and I'm not even sure they are current or if all features work at this point.... but you can search them out.
    06-23-14 02:16 PM
    I find BlackBerry Maps works flawlessly for my navigation needs and it is not bloated like Google maps. As far as the nearest restaurant/gas station goes well there are lots of apps for that. Best.....ask the locals.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 08:12 AM
    I find BlackBerry Maps works flawlessly for my navigation needs and it is not bloated like Google maps. As far as the nearest restaurant/gas station goes well there are lots of apps for that. Best.....ask the locals.

Posted via CB10
    What exactly is bloated about Google Maps? Live traffic with construction and accident warnings? Navigation that tells which lane to be in for exits and turns? Terrain layers? Which part?
    06-24-14 08:15 AM
    I wouldn't say it works flawlessly.

One big thing I would like is to be able to download an entire trip ahead of time over wifi, because I drove to Ohio last summer and it used like half my data.

Also the ability to find alternate routes would be nice. Sometimes I don't like the first suggestion and would like to be able to pick a new one.

I would also like to be able to plan a route with multiple stops. Like point A to point B to point C... and get distances and estimated times.

Buddha Stories - C0038CC70
    06-24-14 08:19 AM
    I wouldn't say it works flawlessly.

One big thing I would like is to be able to download an entire trip ahead of time over wifi, because I drove to Ohio last summer and it used like half my data.

Also the ability to find alternate routes would be nice. Sometimes I don't like the first suggestion and would like to be able to pick a new one.

I would also like to be able to plan a route with multiple stops. Like point A to point B to point C... and get distances and estimated times.

Navfree works without a connection.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    06-24-14 08:32 AM
    Navfree works without a connection.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    Like BB Maps should.

06-24-14 10:51 AM
    Like BB Maps should.

Megallan also works offline. Like I said, BlackBerry Maps works flawlessly for me. It is lite and fast. I also get traffic reports which I was surprised at. The larger the database/offerings......like every restaurant around the world, the more bloated the program, the more data usage. I want directions quick and to the point.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 11:08 AM
    Will they continue to develop Maps or will it get replaced by a Droid version? Is it an Enterprise software solution?

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    06-24-14 11:16 AM
    I gave up on BlackBerry maps because herp.derp it would drive me.around like a dumbass plus limited traffic warnings. I like google maps because of it's superb notifications. However; it is laggy and Iabsolutely hate that, navfree on the other hand is now my main driver. It's native, and fast so happy crackberry advertised it. Traffic notifications are ultimately needed as they get their maps straight from Google.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    06-24-14 12:39 PM
    Best joke I heard lately......

Make like Apple maps, and get lost!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 12:45 PM
    Good to see Yelp reviews being incorporated into Maps. That's a good start at improving it!

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 01:07 PM