I cannot download BB maps -- the java appl stops at 10% loaded when trying to load directly to my Pearl.

Is there a downloadable version of an .ali or .alx rendering that can then be installed by the Appl. Loader of Desktop Manager?
    04-30-07 04:04 PM
    04-30-07 05:52 PM
    Thanks, but that's the same link I have. It requires you to connect the BB directly. It fails (for me) after 10% is downloaded. I was trying to find the whole application in a form that could be downloaded to my desktop, then installed using BB Desktop App.
    04-30-07 06:25 PM
    I had thought that BBMaps came standard on the Pearl. What carrier is your Pearl from?
    04-30-07 08:38 PM
    as far as i've seen, BBmaps does (normally) come standard on the Pearl...perhaps he deleated it and wants to reinstall?
    05-01-07 08:06 PM
    Thanks, everyone. My carrier is Cingular (aka AT&T). After reading the 'fine print' on the BB maps site, it states clearly that BB maps won't work with AT&T. I infer that also means won't work with Cingular. Which is why I presume it wasn't installed when I got it, and won't install from the website.

So now I have this great new BT GPS (GlobalSat BT-359) and no way to use it unless I pay the ridiculous monthly fee that Cingular wants for TeleNav.

Damn!
    05-03-07 03:52 PM
    Sorry to hear that! Just get a 8800

I have a trial period with TeleNav, still debating if I want to pay $10 a month for the service. Time will tell I suppose...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-07 05:31 PM
    or if u have the data package, than use Google Maps. Its not exactly GPS, but pretty darn close. very detailed maps, real-time traffic, business search w/ directions, and loads pretty fast (assuming you have reception). oh, and its free

just an idea...
    05-03-07 06:05 PM
    yes, 'free' is always good!
    05-04-07 03:51 AM
    Already have Google Maps and it is super. But, no support (yet) for GPS on BB. Lots of scuttlebutt about if/when/where it might come, but nothing yet.

And yes, it works really well if you know where you are to begin with. But a lot of times when traveling, that's not so certain -- thus GPS is the ticket. I've got a Garmin, too, but it's too bulky to take when I'm trying to travel light. That's why the tiny little GlobalSat 359 is so cool - smaller than even the Pearl.

Don't suppose anyone has 'crackberried' the AT&T restriction on BB maps, have they? Or, is there some other free GPS program that works?
    05-04-07 04:38 PM
    The newest version of Google Maps does support GPS and works great on my 8800!
    05-04-07 06:17 PM
    SWEET !!! The newest version (1.5.1) includes BT GPS support for Pearl. What great timing ! Hooray !

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by seifrij; 05-06-07 at 03:28 PM.
    05-06-07 03:09 PM
    yipee!! now that google maps has BT GPS support, i'm totally gonna delete BB maps...i can always use the extra device storage space for more apps!! lol
    05-07-07 01:51 AM
    I just got the 8310 from AT&T and Google Maps does not recognize the built-in GPS. I think this is because AT&T has locked the GPS to only work with Tele-Nav.

This was not the case with the 8800 from AT&T as Google Maps recognized the built-in GPS.

I have done multiple searches to find a way to unlock the GPS on the 8310 but it doesn't seem like anyone has figured it out yet. Maybe because the 8310 just came to AT&T 3 days ago. If anyone knows how to unlock this please post up.

Thanks in advance.

Rasa
    10-18-07 10:33 AM
    GPS is working with Google Maps on my AT&T 8310.
    10-26-07 01:01 AM
    Saturday, October 27 2007, @ 2:26 PM (-0800 GMT)

My AT&T 8820 will not show my GPS location on my Google Maps Ver 1.6.2 Is there some secret way to turn it on or connect GPS/Maps ?? I'm puzzled and am going to cry! <giggle>
    10-27-07 04:33 PM

how can i download google maps to my curve
    10-28-07 08:29 PM
    I am on Tmobile and I could not not get maps to download to my curve either. I gave up and got google instead... i think i got it from Google Maps
    Last edited by capcost; 10-28-07 at 10:14 PM. Reason: adding
    10-28-07 09:58 PM
    you need to go in to your apps menu and change deny to allow and google will work,,,,,,, i prefer bb over google maps
    11-14-07 05:41 PM
    What apps menu? I have installed BB Maps and still don't see it on my Curve. I've checked Applications under Advanced Options. It lists BlackBerry Maps but I cannot find where to "change deny to allow". I have tried removing it and adding it back but still can't find it.

For all you people having trouble finding your location on Google Maps - I got a tip from the manager at the at&t store and it seems to work on mine.

Go into GPS under Advanced Options and choose Refresh GPS from the menu. You may need to do it outside. My coordinates were blank but are now filled in with access to 5 satellites. My GPS seems to be working much better since.
    11-14-07 11:03 PM
    correct me if im wrong but people that want BBmaps and on AT&T/cingular can get them if they unlock there phone right or no thanks,
    Because i bought a AT&T curve and unlocked it for SunCom and i can use BB maps,
    11-25-07 11:26 AM
    I have a 8300 Locked with ATT since that is my carrier and I use BB maps with no problems. Do an OTA install from BlackBerry using the bb browser and you should not have any problems.

Charlie
    11-25-07 01:10 PM
    I have an 8310 from AT&T and google maps recognized my GPS. My location is represented on the map as a little blue dot; pointin out my correct location

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-07 05:52 AM
    you need to go in to your apps menu and change deny to allow and google will work,,,,,,, i prefer bb over google maps
    Hi,
    You seem to know stuff! Would you mind telling me how I get BB maps to work on a curve. The net told me I had installed them. But work they won't.
    Thanks
    S
    12-02-07 01:21 PM
    I have Email only plan from Bell Mobility, does anyone know if using BB Maps for looking up directions, count against data usage?

Don't want any expensive surprises at the end on the month. :-)
    12-07-07 10:02 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD