Does anybody have any ideas if BLACKBERRY MAPS is getting an update of sorts or is dead! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-16 10:52 PM
    BlackBerry Maps hasn't been updated since Jun 23rd, 2015. Don't think there's much going into it now.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-12-16 11:12 PM
    Sigh? Cheers

Posted via CB10
    12-13-16 12:05 AM
    It's the main reason why I got a Priv a month ago. Too many new roads in my area that don't show up on BlackBerry Maps. It's not only useless, but downright dangerous now.
    12-18-16 02:18 PM
    I thought that BB10 owners were completely satisfied with their lot in life. I guess not.
    12-18-16 07:14 PM
    I actually find Maps, overall, very good. It has some quirks. But it is *generally* very competent.

BB should make Maps and Travel part of their concentrated app suite that they invest in.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-16 09:43 PM
    BB should make Maps and Travel part of their concentrated app suite that they invest in.
    Both apps are licensed (for BB10 only) from other companies, who already have apps for Android and iOS under their own names.

BB Travel has always just been a client for the WorldMate service, for example.
    12-18-16 11:59 PM
    I find BlackBerry maps slow in UK and quite often it gets confused and goes wrong! Just tried using it in belgium and it sent me in a circle constantly, tried to send me wrong way on a one way system! 99% of time I use apple maps now on my work phone,with live traffic and better detail it's superb.

Swiped on my Passport!
    Angela Papazian likes this.
    12-19-16 12:39 PM
    I find BlackBerry maps better than Waze that I'm now using on Android. I missed using it.

At least I don't get these kind of navigation asking me to detour for scenic reasons in to places I have nothing to see.
    Attached Thumbnails Blackberry maps-screenshot_20161213-174353.jpg  
    12-19-16 12:59 PM
    I have been using BeMaps Pro on BB10 without issues.

Sent*from*my**Z10
    Mr23779 likes this.
    12-19-16 02:00 PM
    Can't see the problem. My old Garmin sat nav is nearly 10 years old but still ALWAYS gets me to my destination and I do travel an awful lot with my job. It's NEVER had a map update either.

I only turn it on for the last few miles anyway because it's never an issue to get to the town/city that your heading for by using that gadget on top of your body, called a brain.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2876
    Prem WatsApp and ibpluto like this.
    12-19-16 05:36 PM
    Can't see the problem. My old Garmin sat nav is nearly 10 years old but still ALWAYS gets me to my destination and I do travel an awful lot with my job. It's NEVER had a map update either.

I only turn it on for the last few miles anyway because it's never an issue to get to the town/city that your heading for by using that gadget on top of your body, called a brain.

That brain is often very useful... to correct the silly machine errors... :-D

�   10.3.3 - that's the go for me... ;-D   �
    12-21-16 01:19 AM
  13. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Use maps.me so more great offline maps

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 03:07 AM
    I'm quite happy with BlackBerry Maps. Easy to use, current info and accurate where I live. My biggest complaint is that it kills my phone's battery.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-16 04:59 PM
    You may live in an area with limited construction, but here in California, massive change is a constant. New developments pop up every day, and old areas are torn down and rebuilt. Freeways are widened and access ramps are relocated and reconfigured.

In my job, I'm going to people's houses every day. Without (very recently) updated maps, I'd probably have trouble finding at least one address per day, almost every day.

So, this is one of those times when context (location, in this case) really matters.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-21-16 09:25 PM

Updates.... Bah! Humbug!

CB10 on my Passport SE
    12-22-16 11:55 AM
    I have no clue about Blackberry Maps, other than it is based/reliant upon Tom Tom, supposedly. If that is the case, is the mapping not automatically updated as Tom Tom's maps are updated? I realize that the wrapper (app) itself has not been updated for some time, but the actual map itself should always be updated should it not? Please enlighten me. As an aside, I use Maps quite a bit in my area and it seems to serve me well.
    12-22-16 12:02 PM
    BB has a license agreement with TomTom for their Tele Atlas mapping data, and it really depends on if they included updates in that license agreement or not (including updates would have made the license more expensive, as it costs Tele Atlas a lot to create all of those updates. As GPS use, the cost per user has fallen a lot, but there's still a price to be paid.

At some point, BB's license will expire, and either updates will stop or (more likely) BB Maps will no longer function. It's a certainty that BB isn't going to re-license the data, as they're out of the smartphone OS business and Android already has access to Google Maps and many other competitors. For right now, though, I couldn't tell you if BB Maps is still getting mapping updates, though I suspect not. BB pulled the plug on as many services as it could in 2014 to save costs, and if they could have gotten out of paying for mapping updates during that time, they would have.
    12-22-16 10:25 PM
    BB has a license agreement with TomTom for their Tele Atlas mapping data, and it really depends on if they included updates in that license agreement or not (including updates would have made the license more expensive, as it costs Tele Atlas a lot to create all of those updates. As GPS use, the cost per user has fallen a lot, but there's still a price to be paid.

At some point, BB's license will expire, and either updates will stop or (more likely) BB Maps will no longer function. It's a certainty that BB isn't going to re-license the data, as they're out of the smartphone OS business and Android already has access to Google Maps and many other competitors. For right now, though, I couldn't tell you if BB Maps is still getting mapping updates, though I suspect not. BB pulled the plug on as many services as it could in 2014 to save costs, and if they could have gotten out of paying for mapping updates during that time, they would have.
    I can say for certainty that my area map has been updated in the last year as a section of highway just out of our city was 4-laned only 10 months ago and it is now showing up on Maps. I also live in a fairly remote, forgotten part of Canada, so it seems that Maps is still drawing on new Tom Tom mapping. How long this lasts is another question.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 11:34 PM
    I can say for certainty that my area map has been updated in the last year as a section of highway just out of our city was 4-laned only 10 months ago and it is now showing up on Maps. I also live in a fairly remote, forgotten part of Canada, so it seems that Maps is still drawing on new Tom Tom mapping. How long this lasts is another question.

Posted via CB10
    In my area, BlackBerry Maps has not been updated (yes, in Canada's biggest city). New roads do not show up. What is surprising, however, is that traffic data is relevant and timely. I don't know how that is happening.

For me, there were too many shortcomings in BlackBerry Maps. It often gave sub-optimal routes, and I didn't like the absence of alternate routes. I'm really enjoying Google Maps on my Priv.
    12-23-16 12:15 AM
    I liked BlackBerry Maps for a long time, until roads stopped being updated.

I wanted to stick with a BB10 solution, but that proved impossible. I paid for NavFree Pro on 2 devices, and it was great until it stopped receiving updates and I couldn't reach the developer. It also hogged a lot of memory. Genius Maps is also very good, probably the best, as I proved on a long trip from Vancouver BC to Portland OR, but only really useful if you pay the $40 for North American offline maps and navigation. Not going to do that for 2 devices. I really like it, though, and the dev sometimes puts it on sale.

I have used Google Maps (patched version) for the past 9 months and it works well, even via Bluetooth in the car. It used to run very slow and hot, but that's much improved. I use it with music playing via car Bluetooth, and Google breaks in nicely for turn-by-turn prompts.

Q10  OS 10.3.2.2474  Z30
    12-23-16 12:42 AM
    BlackBerry Maps works great for me, but I did have an issue once. It wanted me to cross a bridge in my hometown that hasn't existed since at least the 1960s lol. It never wanted me to take that route again after the initial error, however.
    12-23-16 12:51 AM
    BlackBerry Maps works great for me, but I did have an issue once. It wanted me to cross a bridge in my hometown that hasn't existed since at least the 1960s lol. It never wanted me to take that route again after the initial error, however.
    I am in the US, and BlackBerry Maps is being updated for new construction, and traffic data is accurate. Considering that it is a core BB10 OS component, I think it's possible that supporting it with basic updates to keep it functional is part of BlackBerry's "commitment" to maintaining BB10. It's the only map we use, and we haven't had problems with both new roads and new businesses appearing. In fact, when we moved offices last year, BlackBerry Maps was updated BEFORE Google Maps!

Posted via CB10
    12-23-16 08:25 AM
    I have been using BeMaps Pro on BB10 without issues.

Sent*from*my**Z10
    Sadly this App is no longer available in Blackberry world

Posted via CB10
    12-25-16 04:53 PM
    Try this for mobile traffic economy:
    MAPS.ME - Offline Maps with Navigation
    MAPS.ME is available for BlackBerry OS devices (10.2.1+).
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...13892/?lang=en
    12-30-16 05:58 AM
26 12