If the most sold phone is more expensive than our passports,...then who is telling BlackBerry to make cheaper phones? I ve had my passport for 1 month shy of 2 years without a problem! I want more of that!!!! Confidence it will always work. I really don't understand. Why cheaper?

Jaglenn's Passport
    07-26-16 11:58 AM
    Because talk is cheap. Also because people complain about pricing.

Posted via CB10
    xandros9 and hoytbowhunter like this.
    07-26-16 12:00 PM
    The trend is toward less expensive phones in the US, as well as other markets. One of the main problems with the Priv was the high price.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 12:01 PM
    Really? How many iphones you see out there?

Jaglenn's Passport
    07-26-16 12:33 PM
    Because enterprise thinks the PRIV is priced too high for their needs. It's the same reason there are still brisk sales to enterprise of previous generation Iphone and the lower priced Iphone SE.
    bakron1, xandros9, glwerry and 1 others like this.
    07-26-16 12:36 PM
    You remember the staring price of Priv?!

It seems whatever they do there will be a price complaint ;-)

Posted via CB10
    07-26-16 12:36 PM

Jaglenn's Passport
    Not as many as Android phones if we go by the numbers, mostly low cost.

Smartphone sales were driven by demand for low-cost smartphones in emerging markets and for affordable 4G smartphones, led by 4G connectivity promotion plans from communications service providers (CSPs) in many markets worldwide.
    Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Grew 3.9 Percent in First Quarter of 2016

OT: BlackBerry has always had low/midrange devices mixed in with highend, even with BB10. For what it's worth, the Argon is rumored to be a high end device.

BlackBerry is working on 3 new Android phones, codenamed Neon, Argon, and Mercury | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Evan Blass
    07-26-16 02:27 PM
    It's trying to attract the enterprise and large corporate clients, cheaper phones is what they asked for. Hopefully this product does well for them with the added security features built in.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-26-16 03:03 PM

Jaglenn's Passport
    Even iPhone has a less expensive option:

One of the new products unveiled — the 4-inch iPhone SE — has the lowest starting price of any of its new phones: $399.
    Apple, in a first, goes cheaper with new iPhone

Not everyone buying a smartphone wants to pay flagship prices nowadays.
    07-26-16 06:15 PM
    Yes, make a more affordable device, but not at the sacrifice of BlackBerry quality or performance.
    Less specs is not what's needed unless BlackBerry can optimize performance. But to dumb down performance to discount a lesser product, I don't believe would be the right move. Especially in an arena full with a plethora of mid-range devices.

A cheaper BlackBerry price is wise, but a cheaply made BlackBerry is a bad idea. So I hope it's the former not the latter is what we see.

A BlackBerry Fan
    Last edited by KNEBB; 07-30-16 at 11:10 AM.
    ZayDub likes this.
    07-26-16 09:48 PM
    Don't think you can have both! I just want BlackBerry OS11 on a very well made phone!
    Hey how about in the concept forum! The phone that folds out into a tablet! Perhaps the tablet part can have most apps and the phone part have all the tools! OS11 of course.!!

Jaglenn's Passport
    07-26-16 11:37 PM
    Blackberry also has premium devices planned so I don't know why people on here are complaining about this phone being cheap. Seriously not everyone can afford high premium devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-27-16 05:41 AM

Jaglenn's Passport
    People will pay a premium for iPhones over other vendors. The only Android vendor with similar pricing power is Samsung.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    07-27-16 06:06 AM
    Don't think you can have both! I just want BlackBerry OS11 on a very well made phone!
    Hey how about in the concept forum! The phone that folds out into a tablet! Perhaps the tablet part can have most apps and the phone part have all the tools! OS11 of course.!!

Jaglenn's Passport
    Yeah! Comes with a magical unicorn too!

Seriously, do you really think BB has the resources to make such a device? They don't.
    07-27-16 09:31 AM
    Yes make a more affordable device, but not at the sacrifice of BlackBerry quality or performance.
    Less specs is not what's needed unless BlackBerry can optimize performance. But to dumb down performance to discount a lesser product, I don't believe would be the right move. Especially in an arena full with a plethora of mid-range devices.

A cheaper BlackBerry price is wise, but a cheaply made BlackBerry is a bad idea. So I hope it's the former not the latter is what we see.

A BlackBerry Fan
    How much is this hysteria around SPECS matters in the real world? For instance, I have a Classic, which I have read over and over again has mediocre specs.

Yet, it runs fine for me, I think I've had the odd lag with a book reader, but that's Android software that's running through an emulator.
    07-27-16 10:18 AM
    Blackberry also has premium devices planned so I don't know why people on here are complaining about this phone being cheap. Seriously not everyone can afford high premium devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Complaining is what we do best....

I think some here for some reason expected BlackBerry to be able to buy these phones and sell them for less than the original OEM could.
    07-27-16 10:20 AM
    You don't have to have a degree in economics to know that BlackBerry is at a significant cost disadvantage if their volume is so much lower than the larger players. There's no way that they are going to be able to offer the same quality/specs as companies that sell 100 million devices a year. They would have to charge more than the competition.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-27-16 10:44 AM
    Not as many as Android phones if we go by the numbers, mostly low cost.

Gartner Says Worldwide Smartphone Sales Grew 3.9 Percent in First Quarter of 2016

OT: BlackBerry has always had low/midrange devices mixed in with highend, even with BB10. For what it's worth, the Argon is rumored to be a high end device.

BlackBerry is working on 3 new Android phones, codenamed Neon, Argon, and Mercury | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Evan Blass
    The Mercury rendering looks awesome. Would need to change a few aspects to suspend the iPhone look, but it's pretty awesome.
    07-27-16 03:20 PM
    People will pay a premium for iPhones over other vendors. The only Android vendor with similar pricing power is Samsung.
    And they don't offer software updates as reliably and with such a long backwards compatibility as Apple. I see even iPhone 4s (??!?) and 5 are still supported on iOS 9...

Ask users of older Sammys (S2/S3/S4/...) if they're still getting updates... :-(

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    07-27-16 06:39 PM
    Throwing ish against a wall to see what sticks. No purpose behind this device. No one asked for it.
    07-27-16 07:59 PM
    And they don't offer software updates as reliably and with such a long backwards compatibility as Apple. I see even iPhone 4s (??!?) and 5 are still supported on iOS 9...

Ask users of older Sammys (S2/S3/S4/...) if they're still getting updates... :-(
    The problem is that older phones, and I'm even including the iPhone 4S and 5, simply don't have the hardware to run the newer OS versions well. Neither do those older Galaxy S-series phones. Hell, man, the S2 is going on 6 years old! Even the S4 is well over 3 years old. There's been massive changes in hardware in that time.

We all understand that mobile hardware is beginning to plateau, and so hardware changes will be a lot more minor going forward, but you definitely wouldn't want to run Marshmallow on your 2010 phone, even if it could.
    Sairos likes this.
    07-27-16 11:20 PM

Its not a good thing that the old iPhones receive the new software updates.. But its rather a good thing for the Androids that they don't receive them.. Because like Troy said, the devices slow down and it becomes a nightmare.. So you're stuck with a miserably slow device in that case.. Some people even argue that, Apple deliberately keeps kicking OS updates to old devices so they would slow them down in order for you to update to a newer phone.

The updates are good as long as your phone's specs can handle them.. Believe me, you don't want to have an update that's released now if your device is something from 2013 or 2012.. Let alone an S2 from 2011.
    07-27-16 11:39 PM
    Blackberry is selling cheap phones because it has failed at selling expensive ones for several years. And, I think, to bring more people into touch with the brand.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-27-16 11:57 PM
    Because, in the past, the price of BB phones are always priced, and customers may take a look at the price of phones at the stores before they decide to go for it.
    07-28-16 12:17 AM
    Its not a good thing that the old iPhones receive the new software updates.. But its rather a good thing for the Androids that they don't receive them.. Because like Troy said, the devices slow down and it becomes a nightmare.. So you're stuck with a miserably slow device in that case.. Some people even argue that, Apple deliberately keeps kicking OS updates to old devices so they would slow them down in order for you to update to a newer phone.

The updates are good as long as your phone's specs can handle them.. Believe me, you don't want to have an update that's released now if your device is something from 2013 or 2012.. Let alone an S2 from 2011.
    Prem's overall point is that Apple CHOOSES to support older devices longer than many other OEMs support theirs.
    07-28-16 04:48 AM
55 123