I just made the switch from the iPhone 3G to Blackberry Bold. I have a mobile me account and was wondering if the syncing would apply roughly the same. I understand that the email application would be "pushed" and the the other options (calenders, contacts can't be), but has there been anyone who has been able to do this? Does blackberry offer something like it for macs?

Also should I install the OS cd that came with the phone onto my computer. Thanks and I hope that this made sense.
    03-15-09 05:38 PM
    Google Sync is the way to go for syncing calendars/contacts between a Mac and BB.
    03-15-09 07:13 PM
    Just watch out with Google sync, it made a right mess of my calendar.

There were hunreds of duplicate events and all day events ended up stretched over 2 days. Birthdays got moved a day early in some cases which I can't figure out for the life of me.

In the end I had to delete all calendars with desktop manager and resync to ical to get my calendars back in order.

That's one google app I won't use again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 12:35 AM
    So Google syncs contacts and calender with Mac and BB via push? And you can sync with iCal and contacts, but you have to connect the BB directly to the computer via USB.
    03-16-09 01:46 AM
    Just watch out with Google sync, it made a right mess of my calendar.

There were hunreds of duplicate events and all day events ended up stretched over 2 days. Birthdays got moved a day early in some cases which I can't figure out for the life of me.

In the end I had to delete all calendars with desktop manager and resync to ical to get my calendars back in order.

That's one google app I won't use again.

Ditto. And may I point out that your handle very aptly describes google sync?

03-16-09 08:32 AM
    My problem with Google Sync is that it doesn't sync my repeating entries.

If I have an all day event in Google calendar (say meeting) from monday to wednesday, it will only sync (show up in BB calendar) the monday event and fails to sync those for tuesday and wednesday.
    03-16-09 08:34 AM
    Also should I install the OS cd that came with the phone onto my computer. Thanks and I hope that this made sense.
    Assuming you're running OS/X? If so, nope, the CD that came with your Berry is useless.

Unless, of course, you're running Windoze in some way: ie Virtually via Parallels or VMWareFusion, or natively, via Bootcamp. If you're running Win on your Mac, the CD is perfectly fine to load and use.
    03-16-09 02:52 PM
    I use Entourage 2008.

If you pay a fee for MobileMe, then, monthly fees don't bother you. (?)

I use a hosted BES / MS Exchange system. It flawlessly and instantly syncs and pushes my email, calendar, contacts, sent / replied / deleted mail, etc. to, from, and among Entourage / BB / online Outlook. I pay $18/mo. with TheMessageCenter.

Yep, it's a little expensive for some. But my BB is on autopilot with syncing and my BB experience would not be the same without it.

You can get a review of other hosted BES providers on the BB Geeks website - see the menu of "Hosted Exchange" in the middle of the page and to the right.
    03-16-09 05:39 PM
    I use Entourage 2008.

If you pay a fee for MobileMe, then, monthly fees don't bother you. (?)

I use a hosted BES / MS Exchange system. It flawlessly and instantly syncs and pushes my email, calendar, contacts, sent / replied / deleted mail, etc. to, from, and among Entourage / BB / online Outlook. I pay $18/mo. with TheMessageCenter.

Yep, it's a little expensive for some. But my BB is on autopilot with syncing and my BB experience would not be the same without it.

You can get a review of other hosted BES providers on the BB Geeks website - see the menu of "Hosted Exchange" in the middle of the page and to the right.
    Thanks I'll definetely check that out. Also I heard of a program that cost about $40 and it syncs the BB with ical and contact via bluetooth. I can't remember the name right away, but have you ever heard of such a program?
    03-17-09 01:06 PM
    RIM supports a program called PocketMac. There are others. As I remember, one is ActiveSync (or something like that). A google search will get you to most the choices

I just never had good / problem-free experience with these two and decided the premium for hosted BES was worth it for me.

03-17-09 01:19 PM
    Thanks I'll definetely check that out. Also I heard of a program that cost about $40 and it syncs the BB with ical and contact via bluetooth. I can't remember the name right away, but have you ever heard of such a program?
    You're thinking of The Missing Sync, which is $40 for a personal license. There's lots of discussion about this in the Mac subforum.
    03-17-09 01:28 PM
    You're thinking of The Missing Sync, which is $40 for a personal license. There's lots of discussion about this in the Mac subforum.
    I think that I'm gonna go ahead with "The Missing Sync". I'll let you know how it goes
    03-17-09 04:10 PM
    Didn't RIM just come out not too long ago with something new for Mac users? I need to start using this feature, haha.
    03-17-09 06:08 PM
    I think that I'm gonna go ahead with "The Missing Sync". I'll let you know how it goes
    I wish I would have caught this earlier -- there's a free 14 day trial so you can try before you buy. Peoples' experiences seem to be hit and miss (as you can see in the Mac subforum). I hope yours is a hit!
    03-17-09 09:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD