I think we'll see more and more of these concepts and eventually real hardware. It's only the next natural progression in the era of everything being connected.

More and more phones are getting massive processing power and combined with a dedicated hardware setup these could simply replace the current static laptop hardware.

Imagine user accounts, by inserting your phone it automatically boots into your user account. A phone as a password in some sense. The ability to use the encryption libraries from your blackberry to secure browsing, emails, etc on the laptop.

The terminal mode is a great idea, allowing the phone to be mimicked on a big screen and the availability of apps in this mode that control various things in your house ( shades, sound, lights, etc...) is something I can see being used very frequently.

Offloading processor intense apps to the laptop CPU... extra ram that can be used, games from your phone on your laptop etc...

The possibilities are endless with this kind of setup and I'm amazed it hasn't been exploited further.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if they went full out on hardware and not deliver a half-assed non-upgradeable version. Do it right and it will sell.

Posted via CB10
    James Nieves likes this.
    03-18-14 03:26 AM
    Like the idea, and it would be nice to have another option besides Microsoft and Apple.

But would only buy if it worked without the phone also and had the necessary programs.

Otherwise is just a paperweight.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 06:32 AM
    Awesome! Signed me up for one. Seriously any chances something like this will come to market?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 07:51 AM
    maybe i miss the point here (nice rendering by the way) but i don't see how another hardware product from Blackberry could be a winning move, especially in that environment.
    I love BB10, i'm sure it can be used as a "desktop" OS (at least as good as chrome OS) if connection via miracast or/and NFC-Bluetooth etc. could assure a seamless transition from BB10 devices to laptops-desktops BUT i am convinced the smartest way would be a software flexibility to any pre-existent hardwares that allows to run your mobile BB10 in any situation.
    The tied selling hardware would be a flop, as we already have an environment (at work and at home) and like Motorola's example i can't see the benefit in investing in another hardware JUST to run BB10.
    So software flexibility, BB10 able to run on any platform is the way to go imho (any hardware tied selling would be a huge mistake):
    how could a M1 Fuse lapdock beat a BB10 device that could do the same on any laptop/desktop for free?
    Imagine your M1 Fuse vs. my Q10 running equally on a Macbook air or an Alienware laptop?
    How do you justify the M1 Fuse tag price? Not to mention you'd have to carry it with you vs. a BB10 universal software compatibility ?
    03-18-14 09:15 AM
    I make sure I get 1 of these blackberry lapdocks from AT&T

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 09:27 AM
    The price would have to be around the price of an iPad to catch positive media attention.
    $500? I think the Asus dock was around that price and people thought it was too expensive, especially, when you figure you can get an fully-capable and independent tablet (iPad or even Windows) or netbook for the same price.
    03-18-14 09:33 AM
    $500? I think the Asus dock was around that price and people thought it was too expensive, especially, when you figure you can get an fully-capable and independent tablet (iPad or even Windows) or netbook for the same price.
    What were the comparable specs?

Tim Smith from my Z10 on Rogers
    03-18-14 09:42 AM
    What were the comparable specs?
    I doubt that specs are going to be much consideration when you are looking to drive a keyboard and screen with a smartphone processor and memory. That would be like trying to sell a pickup truck "fully loaded" with a 4 cylinder engine.

I think people are going to think "OK, I'm supposed to spend $500 to make a half-assed notebook that doesn't do anything if I'm using my phone? I'd get much more use out of a real tablet with a keyboard attached if necessary. Plus I can still use my smartphone at the same time if someone wants to use the tablet."
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-18-14 at 10:09 AM.
    03-18-14 09:52 AM
    This is a great idea...for a Sales Professional having everything on one device and being able to go from phone to tablet/laptop would be ideal...especially for a road warrior who works on the go!

From Bond to the Continuum - Q Rules
    03-18-14 09:54 AM
    This kind of idea would only be worth doing if it ran windows underneath, I just don't feel that these mobile OS's are compatible or productive enough for people to bother buying them.

For a large device like this you need to have printer and device drivers, so that you can just get the basics done, the only good source for this kind of software is Microsoft

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 10:04 AM
    If this would run a full functional office application...i will definitely grab one, or two.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 01:53 PM
    This is a great idea if Blackberry can load a pre configured version of Open Office or such like. Microsoft OS underneath would be a waste of time and effort, I can already buy a MSOS, so why would I want another? Office functionality is what Blackberry lacks right now to be a truly all-in-one solution. That means 1. some kind of office suite and 2. printer functionality. With the Micro HD port I can plug in a full size monitor, keyboard and mouse and I can throw away my old mini-tower (which is slated for the boneyard anyway) and replace it with my oh-so-sweet Z30.
    03-18-14 03:42 PM
    Bring it on BlackBerry this is just what everyone needs and will line up for go BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 07:54 PM
    This is a great idea if Blackberry can load a pre configured version of Open Office or such like. Microsoft OS underneath would be a waste of time and effort, I can already buy a MSOS, so why would I want another? Office functionality is what Blackberry lacks right now to be a truly all-in-one solution. That means 1. some kind of office suite and 2. printer functionality. With the Micro HD port I can plug in a full size monitor, keyboard and mouse and I can throw away my old mini-tower (which is slated for the boneyard anyway) and replace it with my oh-so-sweet Z30.
    If this thing doesn't run windows then I won't touch it and neither will a lot of other people.
    The idea is to have a powerful piece of hardware with which your phone can act as an extension of it and not as an integral part.

Automatic logins, automatic synchronization, custom theme and settings, split screen between Win OS and BB OS so collaboration of files etc is possible...

All these things are meant as an extra and not a necessity so people who don't have a BlackBerry can also buy and use it in the same way, through universal bluetooth or a heavily modified BES layer.

The first manufacturer who reveals a top of the line laptop with universal docking capabilities for a phone running any OS will win big, I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 10:00 AM
    If this thing doesn't run windows then I won't touch it and neither will a lot of other people.
    The idea is to have a powerful piece of hardware with which your phone can act as an extension of it and not as an integral part.

Automatic logins, automatic synchronization, custom theme and settings, split screen between Win OS and BB OS so collaboration of files etc is possible...

All these things are meant as an extra and not a necessity so people who don't have a BlackBerry can also buy and use it in the same way, through universal bluetooth or a heavily modified BES layer.

The first manufacturer who reveals a top of the line laptop with universal docking capabilities for a phone running any OS will win big, I guarantee it.

Posted via CB10
    what if, itcomes with windos app player like how linyx can run windows app with wine nd virtualbox? if they can somehow make it to run rt apps, and bluestacks too, with ither native blackberry pps, I see it as a really big win.
    03-19-14 10:55 AM
    Under $1000 I'm in! My 20 year old suggested this a couple of years ago. Using a mac, and my wife having an iphone, I realized he is correct.
    03-20-14 09:29 AM
41 12