Hi Y'all...

So many of you that may know me, will know how mch I luv and adore my blackberry's particularly my blackberry Bold. I thought I'd post this following a number of different comments I had received from my regular readers (see The emkWan™ Project) and viewers (see YouTube - emkwan's Channel) on why I seem to be less and less blogging or videoing about blackberry os/platform or on any of the new devices or hardware.

The reason for this is I feel RIM is missing what consumers what and need. Over the past 6 months, after my decision to try out other handsets etc, I've been impressed with the blackberry platform and see its great benifits particularly seamless push email etc. However I am also begining to feel with the new devices being launched, that RIM is not doing enough to innovate its OS. Enhance the OS to compare to the likes of Android or even the 'evil' iPhone OS.
    This was recently highlighted with an uncle of mine who was overly excited with the purchase of his Blackberry curve 8900! With much help from me and spending considerble time trying to get used to the curve his frustrations with how 'geeky' the os was made him return the handset and purchase the iPhone 3Gs. Simply he commented: "I don't have time to learn how to make blackberry's simple for me".

This is just one of many examples I get emailed to me. Having owned an ipod touch 2G now for over three months I feel I'm using that now more for the items related to web and even email at times. It ease of use clear UI and simplicity in operation make it less of an eye sore to use over extended periods of time. YES without a doubt I miss the comfortable querty keyboard, and the 'mutlitasking' however I must admit, after a month of use of the ipod's keyboard I am able to type with minimal errors. Also this 'hype' about multitasking, though true in many way is irrelevant in my opinion as majority of times its a simple push of 1 button to go back to where all the other applications are for me to select which I want next.

One of the most frustrating things for me with the bb is how its basicly a non-useable online device. What do I mean by that?! Well for all the 'multitasking' hype the BB browser strugles to load even the simplest of pages as well as being limeted to only one page. I have tried everything in my power to use it to view Youtube and have been unable to successfuly do so. This frustrates me considerably as it feels RIM has done nothing to address or work on these vital areas.

All in all, I luv the blackberry but I'm getting more and more attracted to the other options out there. I'm holding on tight to the hope that RIM would quit adding to their portfolio of hardware running 'old' OS's and start focusing on new OS's.

I wanted to share my thoughts with you all. Its early morning here and hope I have not offended any of the more loyal and 'hardcore' BB fans. As a side note this community has been unbelivably supportive to me both around my BB as well as during difficult personal times. I luv how BB has made people so pasionate about a Phone be able to also support eachother.

So... What are your thoughts guys?! :-D

Peace n Blessings Y'all...emkwan
    Last edited by emkwan; 07-19-09 at 03:49 AM.
    07-10-09 02:29 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...highlight=Razr

A lengthy discussion about the lack of innovation on RIM's part for the Blackberry OS.
    07-10-09 02:39 AM
    Many thanks for that Kasi. Iv read that but I'm intrested to know what other users think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 02:50 AM
    Many thanks for that Kasi. Iv read that but I'm intrested to know what other users think.

All right. That's fine.
    07-10-09 03:16 AM
    Thanks Kasi, and apologies if this was placed in two threads... my error! :-) Luv u CB moderators! :-)
    07-10-09 05:09 AM
    The Berry is supposed to be the stable reliable boring never misses a beat platform, and the others can be as flashy and fly by nighty as they like. That said, there is a truth in all of this. I hadn't owned my Bold for more than 1 day and I stuffed it up and had to reload the OS. How many people would cope with that? Also, the browser IS a piece of ****. Looking at OS 5.0, I don't think RIM are catching the wave either. I wanted a berry because, well, I wanted one - it's the name, it's the look - but the use? I can't be truthful to people all the time, because they would wonder why I spent so much money on something that is so behind the times. So - Bold - you've got me for 12-24 months or so, but RIM, what are you doing to make sure my NEXT one is a Berry also? I'm getting good vibes from some of the HTC devices and their wonderful 'cloud'. Stop resting on your laurels and re-invent yourself back into the lead - soon!
    07-10-09 05:27 AM
    Hi Y'all...

So many of you that may know me, will know how mch I luv and adore my blackberry's particularly my blackberry Bold. I thought I'd post this following a number of different comments I had received from my regular readers (see The emkWan™ Project) and viewers (see YouTube - emkwan's Channel) on why I seem to be less and less blogging or videoing about blackberry os/platform or on any of the new devices or hardware.

The reason for this is I feel RIM is missing what consumers what and need. Over the past 6 months, after my decision to try out other handsets etc, I've been impressed with the blackberry platform and see its great benifits particularly seamless push email etc. However I am also begining to feel with the new devices being launched, that RIM is not doing enough to innovate its OS. Enhance the OS to compare to the likes of Android or even the 'evil' iPhone OS.
    This was recently highlighted with an uncle of mine who was overly excited with the purchase of his Blackberry curve 8900! With much help from me and spending considerble time trying to get used to the curve his frustrations with how 'geeky' the os was made him return the handset and purchase the iPhone 3Gs. Simply he commented: "I don't have time to learn how to make blackberry's simple for me".

This is just one of many examples I get emailed to me. Having owned an ipod touch 2G now for over three months I feel I'm using that now more for the items related to web and even email at times. It ease of use clear UI and simplicity in operation make it less of an eye sore to use over extended periods of time. YES without a doubt I miss the comfortable querty keyboard, and the 'mutlitasking' however I must admit, after a month of use of the ipod's keyboard I am able to type with minimal errors. Also this 'hype' about multitasking, though true in many way is irrelevant in my opinion as majority of times its a simple push of 1 button to go back to where all the other applications are for me to select which I want next.

One of the most frustrating things for me with the bb is how its basicly a non-useable online device. What do I mean by that?! Well for all the 'multitasking' hype the BB browser strugles to load even the simplest of pages as well as being limeted to only one page. I have tried everything in my power to use it to view Youtube and have been unable to successfuly do so. This frustrates me considerably as it feels RIM has done nothing to address or work on these vital areas.

All in all, I luv the blackberry but I'm getting more and more attracted to the other options out there. I'm holding on tight to the hope that RIM would quit adding to their portfolio of hardware running 'old' OS's and start focusing on new OS's.

I wanted to share my thoughts with you all. Its early morning here and hope I have not offended any of the more loyal and 'hardcore' BB fans. As a side note this community has been unbelivably supportive to me both around my BB as well as during difficult personal times. I luv how BB has made people so pasionate about a Phone be able to also support eachother.

So... What are your thoughts guys?! :-D

Peace n Blessings Y'all...emkwan

hmmmmm.....
    No offense, but I think you are beating a dead horse here....but I guess I will bite.

Simply enough:
    If you want a fun device that has an awesome browser and plays tons of games and has a fancy UI BB is not for you. And in the event that RIM sacrifices its productivity focus to make the masses happy, their core will evaporate. Sure they might get another core, but personally If I wanted one of the other handsets out there I would have gotten one.......Seriously.
    I have to ask. What makes a Blackberry a Blackberry? Is it the fancy effects? No. Did anyone buy a Blackberry because of the awesome Web Browser? No. Did anyone buy the Blackberry because the interface is really good looking? I doubt it. But ask folks if they bought the Blackberry because of the form factor. Ask if they bought the Blackberry because it just gets out of their way and lets them work. Sure you will have some recent converts from the feature phone market that probably should have gone to the iPhone. And you have a few who really are tired of the way the OS Looks. But I would say, by and large, that most here, like the BB in its current state and all of the fanciness is secondary.
    For me, I don't use the web enough, on a tiny handheld device, to warrant even complaining about the browser. I am one of those that tried Opera and Bolt and went back to the native browser. Would I like a WebKit browser like the one on my wife's iPhone? Eh......can't say it matters to be honest. Would I like to have some sort of tabbed browsing or multi page browsing like you mentioned, sure why not but, give me full IMAP support first.

Now that being said. Sometimes I DO want a fun device to play with. Thats why I might ask for an iPod Touch or a Zune HD for Christmas. But for everyday, down to business, productivity - really only Palm OS would have been a replacement. (even Windows Mobile can be tweaked enough to come close. It needs a serious speed bump, though)

Its funny, folks at work have been asking me about my blackberry a lot. And I tell them point blank,if you want something fun go get an iphone or something. They will get it the BB and not be happy with it. Now folks that have Windows Mobile Phones or PAlm OS devices and love them, I say Check out what this BB can do.

ok enough yapping.....Its early
    07-10-09 05:52 AM
    I think RIM has done quite well to be where they are today. We still out number iphones by far, but the tide will turn if Blackberry doesn't go more consumer. Right now it's still the corporate standard and will likely stay that way for a long time... Apple and Palm are working hard to change that though.
    07-10-09 10:15 AM
    I agree with your uncle's sentiment. I love blackberries too but I got tired of all the maintenance for them. I mean I didn't mind at first looking for the answers and I love technology so learning tweaks and stuff was ok. But after awhile, just got sick of it. The average consumer doesn't want to figure the phone out anymore. That's why these are smartphones.... they do everything for you. So with that, I expect to have the device do stuff for me, not be doing stuff for it. A blackberry just isn't as consumer friendly as other devices are. Not a knock but the truth. Whether a person prefers a blackberry or an iPhone, they can't deny, that an iPhone is easier to use. This is why you have all groups buying them, because anyone can use it without having to search forums for technical support because your carrier don't know themselves. I am not purchasing another blackberry (have a Bold now) until I see a drastic change in the OS. With 5.0 coming, who knows how long that's going to be.
    07-10-09 01:00 PM
    I think RIM has done quite well to be where they are today. We still out number iphones by far, but the tide will turn if Blackberry doesn't go more consumer. Right now it's still the corporate standard and will likely stay that way for a long time... Apple and Palm are working hard to change that though.
    I agree with you. RIM has the corporate sector on lock and it's time for them to really jump into the consumer market with some innovative stuff. If they don't it will affect their corporate power because afterall, corporate users are made up of avg consumers.
    07-10-09 01:02 PM
    I agree with everything you said...love my BOLD, but a 3GS iPhone is very tempting, I have to say if I were able to upgrade at a reasonable price I probably would've left my BOLd sometime ago.

07-10-09 03:41 PM
    Thank all of you for contributing and continuing to do so. Its intresting to get peoples varied input. I guess there are no clear answers here and yes we must understand RIM's background is from the corporate side, however this DOES NOT mean it (RIM) forgets where its fones are being sold I. E. In the comercial sector. There is no excuse to make consumers life difficult by having an os the needs forums n hours of reading just to function at its optimum. Also for exisiting users who are well versed in all things bb os related, RIM needs to keep us on boaard by trully innovating and offering new more needed services. SUCH as better browser and UI features.

Thank you all once again... Keep your thoughts comming.

07-10-09 04:14 PM
    Bottom line: If I could use the iPhone with VZW, I would.
    07-10-09 04:19 PM
    Thanks for your input guys.

07-12-09 05:47 PM
    Bottom line: If I could use the iPhone with VZW, I would.
    Ditto. I've had an iPhone and I REALLY liked it... so easy (as others have pointed out in this thread).

I just couldn't handle AT&T's dropped calls (at least in my area)... and would have been in seventh heaven if Verizon got the iPhone.

If dreams were horses, eh...?
    07-12-09 07:05 PM
    thanks for all the comments guys. very intresting
    07-19-09 03:50 AM
    I got mine so I could tether my laptop to it and save spending the $ on an air card. It works and it is as fast as my 3.5 year old TMobile card (which was antique technology when I got it) I sure wish 3G had been available on it, but for work, it rocks. If you want to tether with an Iphone, you risk voiding the warranty. Also, I choose not to spend my hard earned money with ATT, now the leader in rotten customer service. Yes, I knowSprint is still out there, but they finally realized they had to improve or go out of business.

RIM probably needs to get a group working on staying ahead of the curve, no pun intended, business and spin off a group to work on a flashy phone to compete with Iphone etc. There is no reason RIM can't remain the king of enterprises while giving Apple a run for its money.
    08-23-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD