Hey All,

OK... It was a CRAZY week for us at BlackBerry Live. Unless you're there to see us in action, I'm not sure you can appreciate just how nuts of a time it is for us. And this year we made more work for ourselves by adding CrackBerry Live into the mix. I'm so glad we did it, but wow... a LOT of work.

We still have more BlackBerry Live coverage to come. We really focused on getting up all the news posts, session posts and CrackBerry Live videos as fast as we could during the week. Now that the event is over, I'll have more time once I fly home tomorrow to sit down and write up longer editorials on the event. It takes me a while to do those kinds of posts, but I have a bunch on my list to get done up.

One of the posts I want to write up is BlackBerry Live: What We Didn't Get. As much as the forums have been buzzing about the news of the week (BBM Channels, going cross-platform, Q5), even more so the forums have been going nuts about what didn't get released or addressed by BlackBerry this week.

The bigger "let downs" as I'm seeing them right now are:

- no BlackBerry 10 update for the PlayBook yet (and is kinda starting to feel like it may never come?!)
    - no update on Instagram / Netflix / (insert your app name you want but didn't get)
    - Q10s being released in the USA in June instead of May

I think those are the biggies on the "consumer" side of BlackBerry. On the developer side there are some different things I think developers we're hoping would be already here (headless apps, jellybean runtime) that will still require some waiting.

I'd like to see is this thread now turn into a constructive conversation around BBLive and what were the things you were hoping for that didn't happen, and why it's important to you, etc..

As I write up my full out editorial, I'd love to pull quotes from posts on this thread as I write up my longer editorial that reflects the feelings and constructive criticisms of the community. So if I pull a quote from your post, I'll put it in the article and attribute it to your username.

Sound like a plan? Let the discussion begin!
    05-17-13 07:37 PM
    I'll just go out and say it. I thought Instagram was a given, but apparently I was wrong. I'm holding out on making an account until it comes to my z10 without having to side load it.

As for my PlayBook, any update would have been nice, whether it was to 2.x or to BB10. My PlayBook feels like it is starting to fall behind, as I will surf on the z10 instead of the PlayBook while at home.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:45 PM
    Definitely thought instagram was a given considering the tweet that blackberry posted about Instagram. With that being said I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied with what blackberry announced at the event.

Other than instagram, I was really hoping for the PlayBook update to bb10 or at least a demo and updated time line for the update! That was a major let down as my PlayBook is good but would be much better with bb10 running on it!

On a side note, Kevin I have some interesting ideas flowing that would be amazing if I could pick your brain about what you think and if you like them maybe you could pass them onto BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:51 PM
    Actually I was really impressed by all the anouncements that BlackBerry gave all its users. I can only say that the 10.1 world release is Awesome and that bb10 for PlayBook was a must.

Ohh well, I just congratulate all tha CB team for the effort, the stand and the news!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 07:53 PM
    I wanted to see more on mobile computing other than the Bentley demo, which was cool, but i wanted to see the other different ways mobile computing would work as well.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    05-17-13 07:59 PM
    I wanted to see more on mobile computing other than the Bentley demo, which was cool, but i wanted to see the other different ways mobile computing would work as well.

Z10? Why yes it is.
    This is what I was expecting as well.

I had hope for some form of update - at least verbally - on what was going on for the Playbook.

The BBM going cross platform and the BBM Channels was a pleasant surprise though.
    05-17-13 08:12 PM
    That is exactly what i was thinking as well. We keep hearing "mobile computing" but BB hasn't really given us a clear vision of what that means. We've been seeing automotive demos of since RIM acquired QNX a few years ago, but beyond that very little. So I wonder what is their bigger plan, beyond just being my phone how will BB10 (and future iterations) integrate into my life? It's something I'm very curious about and hope we find out more soon.

This video is from 2009, but if this is something like what BB has for future plans... I can't wait.

05-17-13 08:14 PM
    I was disappointed to hear that the Q5 isn't slated to be released in the US. I could be wrong, but that's what I read in the release.

Why can't Sprint users who refuse to pay the estimated $250 on contract have access to BB10? It's a great OS, so why limit who can actually pay for it? I'll have to buy an Android phone (or iPhone) as my next purchase unless they discount the Q10 at some point soon after release. At least my Palm Pixi still lives
    05-17-13 08:19 PM
    That is exactly what i was thinking as well. We keep hearing "mobile computing" but BB hasn't really given us a clear vision of what that means. We've been seeing automotive demos of since RIM acquired QNX a few years ago, but beyond that very little. So I wonder what is their bigger plan, beyond just being my phone how will BB10 (and future iterations) integrate into my life? It's something I'm very curious about and hope we find out more soon.

This video is from 2009, but if this is something like what BB has for future plans... I can't wait.
    Maybe BB is holding their cards close so no one steals their ideas and does it quicker? (Just a thought.)
    05-17-13 08:24 PM
    I was very impressed with BlackBerry Live this year. Even though the launch back in January was exciting, there was a tension that could not be missed. Along with this tension, it also felt down right awkward at times. This time around, Heins and the team seemed like a weight had been lifted off their shoulders. You could just sense the confidence in the keynote. I guess if I had to choose what was lacking, it would have been the absence of any word on PlayBook activities. Now, I don't even own a PlayBook. For that matter, I'm not even interested in the product. Still, this was not a good move for many reasons. I'm not talking about a big announcement, but just a sentence or two so PlayBook fans don't have to sit around wondering what is going to happen in this regard. BlackBerry, for the most part, has changed their closed to the world mantality. Now with this puzzling move, I personally feel it puts them right back in those darker days.
    All in all, it was still a great show. They can now fill that six foot hole in and Keep Moving Forward.
    Congrats to the Crackberry team for the live interactive footage. It was really fun to watch you guys in between sets. You made the show come alive and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciated this.

Posted via CB10
    web99, spike12 and anon(3896606) like this.
    05-17-13 08:26 PM
    Mobile computing requires four wheels and a engine. Duh, how else would you compute while mobile?

But seriously, I just sighed and shook my head in disgust when they wheeled out yet another connected car. As soon as I seen it I knew that was all we'd be hearing about mobile computing.
    This was my first BBLive event, so it seemed at times to be like drinking from a fire hose. Still, the lack of Playbook love was a bit of a bummer. I also don't always understand why they're so vague on release dates. The jellybean runtime will be a generation behind Android when it finally arrives. Overall, though, it was good to see a sort of startup vibe from the BB brass.
    If you are not a proud owner of a BB10 device... you basically didn't get anything.....
    maxblancoj likes this.
    05-17-13 08:27 PM
    I don't get the CB culture of always looking for whats not there. They don't do it with the other platform, unles you are that brainwashed to think the other platforms aren't missing anything.

They released some huuuuuuge stuff. BBM cross platform. Q5. Demoed QNX in cars.

I don't tend to focus on whats missing I just get what suits me best. I don't know why people set themselves up for failure.

But I guess it would be nice if BB got netflix and instagram. Cause then there would be a whole lot less complaints and plus there is a portion of people who deem that his are important. I just don't see it as deal breakers for success at all to any particular platform. I see not being on BB as a bigger detriment to themselves since BB1- will grow.
    ibpluto and Thunderbuck like this.
    05-17-13 08:49 PM
    Was Marty Mallick even there??? Cuz quite frankly that was the guy I really wanted to here from. . .oh well. . .
    05-17-13 08:50 PM
    Why do people care so much about an update to a device that was 'DOA' or whatever other term or sentence that was used to describe it. Perplexing.

I'm all for it. But when I bought the first one for less than $200 BB10 didn't even exist. Still didn't when I bought the second one. BB said this year. I just don't get how a device that was so lamented is now acted like its a brand new device that should be supported forever. Again, BB said this year. They have bigger fish to fry. I don't see BB10 being a drastic change to my playbook. Updates are great. But to be honest no other company would give a free upgrade for such an old device. K. Thats what logical to me so I don't worry about it coming or not. But I guess it would be cool if it came. I do see the novelty wearing off after a week. I definitely dont want the UI to change to the phone UI.
    Bla1ze likes this.
    05-17-13 09:03 PM
    I would have liked to have seen some talk about the Remote File Access in 10.1 and if it is part of a bigger strategy for BB10 and management. But I know most of the things I feel we didn't get are part of ongoing projects or negotiations for licensing deals. Such as the oft-noted M2M potential.

The lack of PlayBook news doesn't concern or surprise me as PlayBook owners make up around 3% of BlackBerry owners. Devoting resources to that project doesn't make sense for a company that is focusing on survival.

Netflix is of no concern to me, seeing as there over 130 million smartphone users in the US and only 30 million Netflix subscribers it appears it's not that important to the people who have access to the application. It's up to Netflix to make the app, BlackBerry has already said they would work on it if Netflix desires.

Instagram is the same, and with BlackBerry starting BBM Channels and offering BBM cross platform, BlackBerry starts to look like a competitor and could be playing a role in the delay of these social apps. Apple and Android are too big to ignore but BlackBerry in the US has fallen as we all know, so what's the incentive for these companies to aid yet another potential competitor when their own ability to generate revenue is in question?

There isn't much information I feel I didn't get from BlackBerry. The things I want to know are strategic decisions that are only revealed when companies are ready to move on them. I think BBM Channels and cross platform was a large enough announcement. I'm satisfied.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 09:23 PM
    What I didn't get was reassurance that BBRY was actually listening to its customers. Not only here on CB but all other BB fansites even their own BB forum.

That reassurance should've been we know what you've come to expect depend on and love with previous BBOS we will slowly intergrate some of those things back into BB10.
    I feel BB10 was to great a jump for me considering the things I've come to use appreciate can't do without and love about BBOS.

I am really hesitant about going forward into BB10, one reason is the frustration users post here about it. The other reason being I don't want to be disappointed. That is why I am waiting for the Q10 because it is closer to ( hardware wise ) my 9900 that so far no phone even BBRY's own Z10 has not swayed me from.

So in closing everything for me with BB is riding on the Q10 hopefully when T-Mobile releases it, some of the things that I can't do without in BBOS finds its way back into BB10.
    Last edited by 93Aero; 05-17-13 at 10:27 PM.
    05-17-13 09:42 PM
    I was hoping for a PlayBook update, but I don't mind. I can wait and whatever I can't do on my PlayBook, I can do on my Z10.

The biggest disappointment was, honestly, the Bently. Heins made a huge deal about mobile computing and BlackBerry 10 in the lead up to BlackBerry Live (okay, it's all he's been talking about for the last year) and was grilled in the media for his statement regarding tablets in five years. I was expecting him to back-up his words with a demo of some sort at BlackBerry Live other than the car because, really, we've seen the car multiple times already in the past two years or so. I wanted to see a vision of how BlackBerry 10 was going to replace my tablet, my laptop/desktop, etc. I was disappointed that we didn't have much to see on this front.

In addition to that, I didn't really get a clear vision of what BlackBerry intends to do from now until next year's show, which is what the purpose of BlackBerry Live is. This year, we don't have another BlackBerry Jam conference in San Francisco in October (as far as I know, anyway), so this was the last BlackBerry developer/consumer event in the Western Hemisphere (where BlackBerry tends to make all of its huge announcements). I know we just got new flagship devices four months ago, but all the major players will certainly be releasing new devices later this year and I was expecting BlackBerry Jam to address a potential new device. I knew no new devices would be announced, but I expected that developers would begin to be prepped in anticipation of a new device, but now I'm left wondering if we'll see anything new from BlackBerry until next year. I know we got the announcement of 10.2, but I was also hoping for some more insight into the next major revision of BlackBerry 10. 10.1 and 10.2 seem to make a lot of changes under the hood (with a few enhancements as well), but they don't address a lot of the UI quirks and features many are requesting.

I hope that BB Jam Asia later this year provides more guidance.
    05-17-13 10:05 PM
    1) I would have loved to see a low/midrange Touchscreen device.

Everybody knows that BlackBerry can build compelling physical keyboard devices, but BBRY has not proven themself completely on the Touchscreen front.

The Z10 was extremely important to launch first and I am really happy with it, as I just love the direction BBRY is going with it.
    The most important thing for their future strategy, to show consumers that they changed, was this phone.
    Following that logic, we should have seen a low/mid-range Touchscreen phone from them by now.

2) Why there were no App announcements, is also weird. BlackBerry live is one of the most important exhibitions for them.
    It gives the impression, that they had nothing to announce.

3) A roadmap with fixed releases for Software updates would have been nice. I know that carriers can delay that, but an announcement that BlackBerry releases "a big update" every 4 months (or what ever time frame they like) to the carriers would have been great.

4) And what I really missed, were more announcements on the Service Revenue side of things, apart from "Channels".

5) The QNX car thing is awesome and if a company works with Bentley, they work with VW in a certain kind of way. That means that they work with one of the biggest manufacturers worldwide, with at least 7 different automotive brands.
    Saying that: Where was an announcement considering the brands that sell cars for less than 200k $?

6) I have a PB, and in all honesty, I never believed that BB10 would be coming to it, so it's hard to feel disappointed about that.

(I ranked them by the level of annoyance, starting with 1. the most annoying)

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    05-17-13 11:34 PM
    I agree about the mobile computing stuff we all keep hearing about. The platform, etc. BlackBerry needs to make it clear WHY owning QNX gives them an inside track. Or does it?

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-17-13 11:49 PM
    I was pleased with all the news, and the general level of excitement being obvious when watching the keynote, and especially the interviews given to Kevin and gang. Some type of clearer view of what the mobile platform really entails, and like many, some referance to the future of the PB woukd have been nice..
    05-17-13 11:52 PM
    I agree about the mobile computing stuff we all keep hearing about. The platform, etc. BlackBerry needs to make it clear WHY owning QNX gives them an inside track. Or does it?

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Exactly!

BlackBerry! Flaunt to the world why you have the best, most versatile, most powerful platform of all your competitors. But don't use words! Show it to us!
    pantlesspenguin and Xopher like this.
    05-17-13 11:52 PM

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    I think that I have a pretty good Idea, about what their mobile computing will encorporate.
    And to my understanding, there is just nothing to announce right now.
    Before every major app is here, it makes no sense to talk about what exactly this mobile computing means.
    Nobody should be "mad" because of that.

That they aren't showing a 20-30k $ Volkswagen (or: Audi/Seat/Skoda/) with the QNX entertainment system build into it, is by far a bigger issue for now.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 05-18-13 at 12:37 AM.
    05-18-13 12:06 AM
    I think Kevin named the three things people were most disappointed by, and really, they were kind of like three letdowns in three separate areas.

I was most disappointed by the Q10 launching in June, because we really had been told "mid or late May" by BlackBerry. I'm guessing BlackBerry has known it was going to be June for a while, and I think they could have calmed people down by at least having carriers announce dates. That way we would at least know FOR SURE when we could get it. I was definitely disappointed by this the most, because I want the Q10 so badly.

I've given up on Netflix ever coming to BlackBerry10, and I cancelled my Netflix account because of it. Instagram on the other hand.. we haven't been told NO, but we also have no update from BlackBerry. It's like the elephant in the room. They've done a pretty good job of letting us know what's going on in other aspects, but this is probably the most wanted application. People should not have to sideload Instagram. I did. It works alright. But this whole idea of Keep Moving? Sideloading is the opposite of that. I know sideloading isn't officially sanctioned by BlackBerry, but at this point, it's a process that many hardcore BlackBerry users are very familiar with, and we really shouldn't have to be.

While BB10 on the PlayBook is most welcome, I was shocked when they said the PlayBook would even get it at all. I feel like they got themselves in a corner on this one, and could have said, "some elements of BlackBerry10 will be brought to the PlayBook at a later date," (I know they'd NEVER announce a solid date ) and people would have accepted that just fine. But, as has been the case with BlackBerry for a long time now, they TOLD US BlackBerry10 was coming, so now people are expecting it pretty much the entire BlackBerry10 experience on their 2 year old tablet. I hate to give BlackBerry any ideas about cutting corners with stuff, but they seriously could have gotten away with saying we'd get the BlackBerry10 browser, keyboard, and ability to run BlackBerry10 apps, and then mentioned how the tablet is different from the phone experience and that we "don't need" the Hub and Peek and Flow. People would be like, "oh. Yeah. I guess we don't. Well the keyboard, browser and BB10 apps will be cool. Thanks, BlackBerry!"

To sum it all up, to me, BlackBerry is kind of like that friend who you invite somewhere and says they're coming, but is always texting (errr BBMing) you they'll "be right there!" and then later is like, "I'm on my way!" and then it gets later and later, and is like, "Hey sorry, I ran into some traffic. Be there soon." Then finally you realize that this is just what this friend does. You invite them to whatever, you love them, but you accept that this is just how they are, and they probably won't change. When you see them, you don't hold it against them, but while you're waiting for them, you're annoyed and would much rather them say, "I'll be there, I'll just be there really late," or even a "Sorry, I can't make it tonight," instead of being strung along and feeling disappointed.
    05-18-13 12:43 AM
166 123 ...