The trick for the "not set up properly" thing, assuming you DID complete the setup -- is to leave LINK running and move the USB cable on your PC from the port you are using to another port.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    THAT'S HOW YOU FIX IT?? I have been trying to figure that out for months. I was trying to back up my PB and with both Link for our Z10 and desktop manager for the curve & PB it kept fighting so I had to dissassociate the PB from link but with an upgrade in the very near future I haven't been excited at the thought of maintaining both still just for the PB.

Thanks!
    11-21-13 08:05 AM
    You really want to compare BB Link to iTunes? They are not even close. While I can see iTunes slowing a much OLDER system down, they are not even in the same ballpark. BB Link is one of the worst pieces of software I've ever seen in my life. Its complete trash and comparing it to iTunes is completely ridiculous.
    I would compare Link to older versions of iTunes, definitely.. I have had the same issues with Link on my Windows 7 laptop as I used to have with iTunes on my Win 98 then XP pc. It's slow and laggy, inevitably times out while I'm trying to sync or backup (not unlike trying to backup a PB) and is just generally frustrating.
    11-21-13 08:07 AM
    I used contact X. It isn't great but it works better than Link does.
    I refuse to use link for backing up now. It is an awful system. They need to give us BlackBerry Protect back

Posted via CB10
    This.

Posted via CB10
    darkehawke likes this.
    11-21-13 08:27 AM
    Maybe bbry should take some of the investment and invest in a real windows programmer.
    11-21-13 08:35 AM
    All I really wanted to do was backup my phone. But it cannot do that without crashing.

I also did the update cause I read that it improved some things. Guess I won't know cause after the system restore it went back to the old version.

Oh I will also sheepishly admit I was going to install 10.2.1.1055. But I won't do it till I have a full backup on my laptop cause I ain't hunting for numbers anymore.
    If you performed a system restore, then I'm willing to bet there something severely wrong with your computer/OS.

Link is crappy, but it has gotten MUCH better since 1.2.x

It still needs improvement though.

I would triple-check and see what the underlying issue is with your machine first. This may help with the freezing and crashing of the application as well as benefit your machine as a whole.

Good luck!
    11-21-13 09:14 AM
    Try using contactx to export your contacts. Once you upgrade use it to put them back. Better yet, use the exported contacts file and upload them to google or yahoo so they load to the phone when you setup that account.
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-21-13 09:25 AM
    The trick for the "not set up properly" thing, assuming you DID complete the setup -- is to leave LINK running and move the USB cable on your PC from the port you are using to another port.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1055
    Yes I know... this is why I said I have to attach it multiple times. Also Link should know the difference between a BlackBerry and PlayBook. The point is that doing all that shouldn't be necessary.
    11-21-13 10:32 AM
    Trust me this isn't a problem with just the BlackBerry platform. I have had many issues with iPhone contact data. I ended up buying a piece of software called CopyTrans for the iPhone contacts and had to rebuild the entire contact list for 5 different employees.

Suggestion:

1. Buy ContactX from BlackBerry World
    2. Backup your contacts and export them to your computer
    3. Setup either a Yahoo or Gmail account and import the contacts to that account
    4. Fix any issues with the contacts on your account
    5. Setup that account on your BlackBerry
    6. Disable all other accounts contacts from importing on your BlackBerry

Now if you ever need to reload your phone or switch platforms all your information is safe and easy to retrieve. I suggest disabling Twitter, Facebook, etc from importing into your contacts as well. I would also suggest you do the same for any Calendar entries as well.

I have been doing this for years and have not had to muck with my contacts. I also reload my device more often than any normal user should (just for testing of course).

Thanks,
    mrfreeze574
    11-21-13 06:27 PM
    Yes I know... this is why I said I have to attach it multiple times. Also Link should know the difference between a BlackBerry and PlayBook. The point is that doing all that shouldn't be necessary.
    People had similar issues with BlackBerry Desktop Manager. No I am not saying Link is a good piece of work. Lol. But on BlackBerry Desktop Manager you can find plenty of old threads about it failing to recognize the device. Failing to load the driver. And folks recommending the use of BBSAK, etc.

USB devices in general can be problematic.

Yeah Link needs a lot of work though. But it's a heck of a lot better than the initial release. For me.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 01:26 AM
    All I really wanted to do was backup my phone. But it cannot do that without crashing.
    BlackBerry Protect must be enhanced to provide full and selective backup and restore functionality. Right now if my BlackBerry Z10 requires wiping and system software reinstallation or physical device replacement, the passwords stored in Password Keeper, for example, cannot be guaranteed to be recoverable using BlackBerry Link. Personally, I have dozens of passwords for various systems and services which are essential to my professional and personal lives.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    southlander likes this.
    11-23-13 02:47 AM
    BlackBerry Protect must be enhanced to provide full and selective backup and restore functionality. Right now if my BlackBerry Z10 requires wiping and system software reinstallation or physical device replacement, the passwords stored in Password Keeper, for example, cannot be guaranteed to be recoverable using BlackBerry Link. Personally, I have dozens of passwords for various systems and services which are essential to my professional and personal lives.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    I agree BB protect is great for what it was on BB OS 7. Yet it failed to back up some critical things IMO.

What BlackBerry REALLY needed to do with DropBox on BB10 instead of just integrating the app -- is enable FULL device backups straight to DropBox. Now that would have been an awesome feature.

This is one of those types of things where Android and iOS just bake it right in as a "matter of fact". BB needs to do the same. Cloud Back Up -- using DropBox so as to avoid actually having to run the servers. Better for DropBox too since the back up files (.bbb) are typically 500MB in size. That would push more DropBox users to go to a paid account.
    11-23-13 03:23 PM
    I agree BB protect is great for what it was on BB OS 7. Yet it failed to back up some critical things IMO.

What BlackBerry REALLY needed to do with DropBox on BB10 instead of just integrating the app -- is enable FULL device backups straight to DropBox. Now that would have been an awesome feature.

This is one of those types of things where Android and iOS just bake it right in as a "matter of fact". BB needs to do the same. Cloud Back Up -- using DropBox so as to avoid actually having to run the servers. Better for DropBox too since the back up files (.bbb) are typically 500MB in size. That would push more DropBox users to go to a paid account.
    Backup repository using DropBox/Box would be a nice feature to keep a secondary copy but there is no reason BlackBerry could not provide primary storage. Now if BlackBerry enabled encrypted backups to DropBox/Box using a password unique to the backup file(s) rather than being tied to a specific device or BlackBerry ID, there might be an argument in favour of only using DropBox/Box for storage of the backup file.
    11-24-13 09:49 AM
    I so love my Z10, but without LINK working, I may jump ship. every upgrade has been a nightmare...
    I would appreciate any suggestions...
    I have tried the Registry slash & burn of RIM with the CCleaner, re-installing/Un-Installing the official BB DeskTop 7.1, and lighting candles to St. Anthony.
    Should I try disabling the Virus protection while doing this 1.0 to 1.1 ?
    Can I get a copy of 1.0 somewhere? At least it worked!
    Now I am dead in the water!
    11-24-13 11:12 PM
    You get it going good for a few months, and then either Windows updates something or the new version of BB10 comes out and you end up with a broken program again.
    04-02-14 02:11 PM
    You get it going good for a few months, and then either Windows updates something or the new version of BB10 comes out and you end up with a broken program again.
    This is why we need a fully functional BlackBerry Protect. In 2014 people prefer on-line services over desktop applications to back-up their smartphones and tablets.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-02-14 07:48 PM
40 12