So... Apple could file lawsuits against all the other slab manufacturers saying they stole its patents since it was (sort of) the first touchscreen smartphone ever?
    Well, you have to file, and be awarded, a patent, which is limited to a certain scope, based on a combination of prior art and non-obvious applications. (That's why no automaker has been able to patent a round steering wheel!)

Then, you have to defend the patent from companies that try to steal your IP.

It's a long, cumbersome, expensive process!
    08-12-19 07:41 PM
    Then, you have to defend the patent from companies that try to steal your IP.
    You're legally obligated to. Even if you don't want to.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-12-19 07:43 PM
    So... Apple could file lawsuits against all the other slab manufacturers saying they stole its patents since it was (sort of) the first touchscreen smartphone ever?
    Apple and Samsung are constantly suing each other over patent infringements.

But you have to be pretty specific when you apply for your patent. "Glass slab" doesn't cut it.
    08-12-19 07:51 PM
    Got it, except that with all due respect, all the theft analogies you presented are way off from this patent infringement case.

Why?

The simple answer is that in the cases you described, the theft is of some type of physical property of some sort, meaning if someone resides in a vacated place without permission or steals any object, the owner of said object/property CANNOT benefit from it while said object/property is in thief's possession.

However, in the Unihertz vs BBL patent case, we're talking intellectual property.
    Just because the Titan exists, it does NOT prevent BBL from using those very same patents SIMULTANEOUSLY by making their own device.

Meaning at any given point, there could be BOTH the BB rip off and the original.

This is why I'm a bit disappointed at your analogies as they're just off.
    I’m trying boon, theft is theft, whether tangible goods or intangible services and ideas. You’re right that multiple companies are capable of existing using the same intellectual property.

BB almost went under for patent infringement against NTP in 2000’s when they missed several opportunities to settle. IP laws exist for a reason. BB exists today partly due to it's learned experience to monetize totality of it's assets.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-12-19 07:57 PM
    the titan phone is filling no void, cheap keyboard and build. Move on,
    08-12-19 08:34 PM
    I really don't understand all the excitement. I am skeptical.
    08-12-19 08:35 PM
    the titan phone is filling no void, cheap keyboard and build. Move on,
    It's a PKB in a world filled with boring slabs.

It deserves praise for NOT being a slab.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-12-19 08:41 PM
    Speaking of "hit" and physical key controls ..now if only blackberry could add a Wheel (and maybe a throttle as well) to it's devices, the US Navy might be snapping these snappy devices up......Physical is still popular despite the virtual monopoly.....https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450
    08-13-19 12:16 AM
    Speaking of "hit" and physical key controls ..now if only blackberry could add a Wheel (and maybe a throttle as well) to it's devices, the US Navy might be snapping these snappy devices up......Physical is still popular despite the virtual monopoly.....https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450
    VOLVO is doing the same.
    08-13-19 12:22 AM
    Why does BlackBerry NEED to do anything at all?

They made a deal with TCL that both parties thought would be profitable. It may not have turned out that way.

When the deal has expired, BlackBerry will likely look to see what else they can do to best monetise its patents. If the potential ROI proves too little, then that's that.
    I recall John Chen inviting OEM’s to build a new 9900 type device so there must be wiggle room in the agreement.

https://crackberry.com/john-chen-wan...smartphone?amp
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    08-13-19 12:51 AM
    Physical is still popular despite the virtual monopoly
    Physical is (still) the better way to go.

Out in the field, no one's got time to swipe on glass.
    08-13-19 06:33 AM
    I recall John Chen inviting OEM’s to build a new 9900 type device so there must be wiggle room in the agreement.

https://crackberry.com/john-chen-wan...smartphone?amp
    Or he was encouraging them to look into that format, so they'd have to pay him a fee.
    08-13-19 07:25 AM
    Looks like now instead of the capacitive keyboard, the Titan wll have... a trackpad!
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    08-13-19 07:49 AM
    Looks like now instead of the capacitive keyboard, the Titan wll have... a trackpad!
    Back to the future!

The trackpad must not be patented by BlackBerry, because Lenovo used it in the N5902 multimedia remote.
    08-13-19 07:57 AM
    Might be better than a capacitive keyboard... only with the width, how easy will it be to use?
    08-13-19 08:01 AM
    Might be better than a capacitive keyboard... only with the width, how easy will it be to use?
    Will probably need a phone ring to help. But still the phone is damn heavy.
    08-13-19 08:26 AM
    matbe it will still be the same touch enabled keyboard but locked on the firmware side. allowing for a custom ROM to unlock it's glory lol
    gamegurl likes this.
    08-13-19 08:27 AM
    matbe it will still be the same touch enabled keyboard but locked on the firmware side. allowing for a custom ROM to unlock it's glory lol
    You mean like the LE?? Except... we can't root it to unlock said glory
    08-13-19 08:32 AM
    You mean like the LE?? Except... we can't root it to unlock said glory
    The LE ? It didn't have a he same capacitive keyboard as the keyone and key2. It's hardware limited
    08-13-19 08:34 AM
    Also engadget predicted this exact situation in their video review of the Titan

Posted via CB10
    08-13-19 08:37 AM
    The LE ? It didn't have a he same capacitive keyboard as the keyone and key2. It's hardware limited
    I don't think so. IMO is was disabled given the capacitive keypad issues but that's an old argument...
    08-13-19 08:45 AM
    I don't think so. IMO is was disabled given the capacitive keypad issues but that's an old argument...
    Which has no basis in fact. The keyboard has been torn down, and doesn't resemble the KEY² keyboard at all.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-13-19 08:52 AM
    Or he was encouraging them to look into that format, so they'd have to pay him a fee.
    Regardless, typical of Chen to try to under cut TCL. His folding phone comments were more of the same.

He does not want to be in the phone business and seemingly does not know the phone business yet he figures he knows better than TCL.
    08-13-19 08:52 AM
    Which has no basis in fact. The keyboard has been torn down, and doesn't resemble the KEY² keyboard at all.
    This is my opinion nevertheless. You are entitled to yours which by the way, has no factual basis either.
    08-13-19 08:54 AM
    This is my opinion nevertheless. You are entitled to yours which by the way, has no factual basis either.
    It's not a matter of opinion - the electronics just aren't there.
    08-13-19 08:57 AM
176 12345 ...