haha, fire the testers when they can't even release a reliable product.... -_-
    Maybe because the testers suck, eh
    John Pawling and grover5 like this.
    07-25-13 08:04 AM
    Like anything else that comes out of that place. HUGE grain of salt. Until proven true.

Which this one seems to be.

Can't imagine why they would lay off testers considering the huge quality problems that BlackBerry devices suffer from.....that I've faced, memory leaks on the 9000, bricking on the 99xx devices and initial rebooting on the Z10.

Testers should be hired, not let go.

(Hi guys!!!! *waves*)

Sent from my beautiful, always-working, never-failing white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    Seems the ones being let go sucked at their job. Hope they do hire some competent ones.
    07-25-13 08:06 AM
    Rumor tag has been removed.
    07-25-13 08:13 AM
    This may or may not have anything to do with BB10. These could be legacy OS or PlayBook testers (PlayBook the timing makes the most sense, since there wont be any major updates).
    07-25-13 08:15 AM
    This may or may not have anything to do with BB10. These could be legacy OS or PlayBook testers (PlayBook the timing makes the most sense, since there wont be any major updates).
    I can hardly believe that the PlayBook department had 250 testers, even at its development peak. To be honest, I wonder how many testers are left at BlackBerry right now - for me 250 people sounds like the entire testing team (I know that's impossible). Perhaps someone close to the company could give us some numbers so we may put the fact in perspective?

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-25-13 08:21 AM
    True only one BB legacy and a10 left in the pipeline for 2013.
    07-25-13 08:22 AM
    I can hardly believe that the PlayBook department had 250 testers, even at its development peak. To be honest, I wonder how many testers are left at BlackBerry right now - for me 250 people sounds like the entire testing team (I know that's impossible). Perhaps someone close to the company could give us some numbers so we may put the fact in perspective?
    Depends where in the cycle you are looking. You have testing internal apps, you have testing the OS, you have testing the hardware, testing the radios, testing the complete product. They easily could have had 250 in those departments that are no longer needed. Legacy would have been a HUGE part of their company, and the PlayBook would have been there as well (albeit much smaller).
    serbanescu likes this.
    07-25-13 08:24 AM
    I can't shake the feeling that BlackBerry as we know it is counting down to extinction as a strategic move.

Sent from my beautiful, always-working, never-failing white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    07-25-13 08:27 AM
    It could be that it's a PlayBook or BB07 testing team.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 08:27 AM
    Talk about trimming the fat huh?
    07-25-13 08:35 AM
    I can't shake the feeling that BlackBerry as we know it is counting down to extinction as a strategic move.

Let us hope you are not correct in that. From an enterprise perspective that leaves AndroidSE as the only real choice. iOS just has too many issues at this point for me to consider it. (Not that Android is much better).
    07-25-13 08:38 AM
    Let us hope you are not correct in that. From an enterprise perspective that leaves AndroidSE as the only real choice. iOS just has too many issues at this point for me to consider it. (Not that Android is much better).
    I fervently hope I'm dead wrong.

Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    07-25-13 08:40 AM
    These 250 testers could not have come from a PB team. There's isn't a Playbook testing group or a BBOS testing group. In a company like BlackBerry, you have a shared cross-functional testing group who gets allocated to different projects depending on the different product release cycles. This gives them the ability to shift resources around and put a concentrated effort when a project is nearing launch or falling behind.
    07-25-13 08:41 AM
    Leaks were def. intentional. Stock drops/ppl pissed off with playbook call and all of a sudden leaks on the A10....

Leaks about new products appear to be timed around bad news.

The rumor tag can go off now.
    That makes me wonder if the leaks are intentional.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 08:44 AM
    Deep breath. Sad news for those affected, for sure. But less devices, less OS platforms and major launch of new platform complete = less testers required.
    07-25-13 08:52 AM
    True only one BB legacy and the a10 left in the pipeline for 2013.
    Are you positive these are the only devices left to be released in 2013? Since that would be only device 4 and 5 of the 6 total Thor said would be released.

Posted via a ZeDex or PlayaBook
    Makes sense from a financial perspective to lay off paid testers. Most of the people registered on crackberry would be happy to test products for free!
    Company's do this when they can't increase profit (or generate profit) through revenue, so they do it from the other side - by cutting costs.

They're not done yet... this is just another in a long line of cuts.

Things aren't looking pretty for Blackberry... and it'll get even uglier.
    schmeat and bodden96 like this.
    07-25-13 08:54 AM
    On the other hand, it's those dang testers who are to blame whenever the project schedule slips. They keep finding bugs and delaying the shipping date. Test less, and they can certainly ship faster.
    So you want incomplete or buggy products at launch? Give more reasons for public/media bashing?

It's sad to have those 250 testers let go, and I hope they get a job soon.
    schmeat likes this.
    07-25-13 09:03 AM

On the other hand, it's those dang testers who are to blame whenever the project schedule slips. They keep finding bugs and delaying the shipping date. Test less, and they can certainly ship faster.

That's a joke right? Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 09:04 AM
    BlackBerry is slimming down. It was necessary. I was hoping they would cut from middle management more than workers, but testers, I guess, would not be high on the list of valuable employees to keep around. I feel sorry for all those out of a job and hope you find something great elsewhere. This may all seem like doom and gloom but is necessary for BlackBerry. They could have done without the lay offs but better now than too late.
    07-25-13 09:08 AM
    BlackBerry is slimming down. It was necessary. I was hoping they would cut from middle management more than workers, but testers, I guess, would not be high on the list of valuable employees to keep around.
    Testers are a key part of the development team (often unsung heroes). Things must be pretty bad for a high tech company to cut these guys. Good luck to them...
    bodden96 likes this.
    07-25-13 09:17 AM
    For all we know these could be the testers that signed off on the releases full if random reboots.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 09:20 AM
    They are just trimming the fat and getting rid of certain positions. On their site, there are plenty of new R&D positions available.

BlackBerry - Career Opportunities - Canada
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-25-13 09:36 AM
    Dont you guys think that Blackberry can use us for testers? I mean the beta zone is very active right now and they are releasing an app.. so maybe they saw that theres alot of people willing to test with their units.. so why not lay off some?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 09:37 AM
146 1234 ...