They got so many free testers on Crackberry. Maybe that is why.
    Just kidding.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:06 AM
    You have a source?
    07-25-13 06:10 AM
    added the Rumor tag until verified
    ukmight likes this.
    07-25-13 06:18 AM
    You have a source?
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-reportedl...testing-staff/

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:24 AM
    Thanks for that. It is a rumour until there is an official statement from BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:25 AM
    Thanks. That N4BB article is just about as credible as a random posting on the forums. "has reportedly laid off"... they don't have to name the source but at least they have to give the nature of the source.
    brout likes this.
    07-25-13 06:28 AM
    Thanks. That N4BB article is just about as credible as a random posting on the forums. "has reportedly laid off"... they don't have to name the source but at least they have to give the nature of the source.
    That is why the rumor tag is important.
    Anyway the joke was about Crackberry users replacing the official testers. Whether true or not is another story.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:31 AM
    BlackBerry has confirmed the layoffs. The 250 workers were notified on Tuesday.
    07-25-13 06:35 AM
    Yup... was in the local paper last night and on Canada AM just a minute ago.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    07-25-13 06:36 AM
    Yup... was in the local paper last night and on Canada AM just a minute ago.

Posted via CB10
    The rumor tag can go off now.
    That makes me wonder if the leaks are intentional.

Posted via CB10
    needforbbx likes this.
    07-25-13 06:38 AM
    Let's hope the main reason for this is the new company policy of focusing on a smaller array of devices. Nevertheless, it doesn't look like a good sign, BB10 is not mature enough and they still have a lot of testing to do if they want to move fast.

--------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-25-13 06:49 AM
    They could be BlackBerry OS 7 testers.

Posted via CB10
    pgg101 likes this.
    07-25-13 06:52 AM
    The problem with layoffs is that anyone half-decent is getting their CVs upto date and seeing what their options are.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-25-13 06:54 AM
    They got so many free testers on Crackberry. Maybe that is why.
    Just kidding.
    Looks like its confirmed.

Crackberry also provides a lot of free marketing ideas, and a great many ideas on products and features. Blackberry can also trim their marketing and product management departments.
    Carterbits likes this.
    07-25-13 06:57 AM
    Not good seeing people jobless.BB keep dropping numbers you cant run a company with small numbers and expect fast roll outs and such.Its not good at any level.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 07-25-13 at 08:05 AM.
    Blacklatino and MERCDROID like this.
    07-25-13 06:57 AM
    With the problems that were in 10.0 when it came out, they need to hire 250 more testers, not lay them off. This is sad news.
    07-25-13 07:01 AM
    If Heins' statement is to be believed, they are going to double the number of first generation products from 3 to 6 by years end. You'd think the need for testing would be greater.

On the other hand, it's those dang testers who are to blame whenever the project schedule slips. They keep finding bugs and delaying the shipping date. Test less, and they can certainly ship faster.
    07-25-13 07:07 AM
    They could be BlackBerry OS 7 testers.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if OS 7 would have required such large number of testers and with the pace at which new products will have to be launched, they could always be shifted for the newer products.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:25 AM
    The problem with layoffs is that anyone half-decent is getting their CVs upto date and seeing what their options are.
    Apple employees suffered from the scare of losing their jobs by just encountering Steve Jobs when he came back at Apple. I don't think that affected Apple in a bad way.
    But this may have different ramifications for different leaders.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:27 AM
    haha, fire the testers when they can't even release a reliable product.... -_-
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-25-13 07:28 AM
    This isn't a rumour folks. I live in Waterloo and this story has been in the local paper, The Globe and Mail, City TV Breakfast television and Canada AM this morning. Employees received notice on Tuesday.

While 250 staff may not be a huge percentage of Blackberry employees, the fact that these cuts are coming in new product testing and development is more than a little off-putting. You would think that a company trying to claw its way back to relevance would be pouring resources into this department right now.

I've lived in Waterloo region most of my life and watched this company grow from a total unknown to a world leader, then begin to tailspin into serious trouble. I feel terrible for these 250 employees and their families and I worry about the impact Blackberry's decline may have on this region. Granted, there are many amazing tech companies in the area that will scoop up ex-Blackberry employees, but the loss of jobs still stings. What Blackberry has done for this region is beyond measure.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:37 AM
    Here's one of many news story links for those still in doubt...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...y-layoffs.html

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 07:40 AM
    Like anything else that comes out of that place. HUGE grain of salt. Until proven true.

Which this one seems to be.

Can't imagine why they would lay off testers considering the huge quality problems that BlackBerry devices suffer from.....that I've faced, memory leaks on the 9000, bricking on the 99xx devices and initial rebooting on the Z10.

Testers should be hired, not let go.

(Hi guys!!!! *waves*)

Sent from my beautiful, always-working, never-failing white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    07-25-13 07:49 AM
    Like anything else that comes out of that place. HUGE grain of salt.

(Hi guys!!!! *waves*)

Sent from my beautiful, always-working, never-failing white iPhone 5 via Tapatalk 2...
    Nothing to take with pinch of salt, the story has been confirmed.
    07-25-13 07:51 AM
    Nothing to take with pinch of salt, the story has been confirmed.
    Post edited while you wrote since I saw confirmation.

Still take anything out of that place with a grain of salt the size of Mt Everest.

MERCDROID likes this.
    07-25-13 08:00 AM
146 123 ...