Why is it that when a mobile OS isn't really catching on when used on smartphones and tablets, that people imagine that it will do better by expanding to the desktop and other areas? When webOS wasn't working for HP on smartphones and tablets, they started talking about installing webOS on all of their PCs and printers as if that's what their users were really clamoring for. "I never actually considered it for my smartphone but if you can run my desktop, car and living room on it then sure - sign me up!"

Does that make any sense?
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    02-11-14 08:10 AM
    and i'm still using a dual core processor for my notebook
    02-11-14 08:12 AM
    and i'm still using a dual core processor for my notebook
    Me too and with a SSD it's pretty fast too. Boots up in under 30 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-11-14 08:15 AM
    if BlackBerry's are going to end up with 8 Cores, I want to see the following:

4GB of ram (Likely)

Integration with the Ubuntu for Android technology. Put the phone in a dock, and have a fully functional installation of Ubuntu Desktop that is integrated with all the features of the phone (Hub, apps, etc.)

You could take this and create a multitude of devices. Like a mobile dock that is screen/keyboard/touchpad, slide the phone in and BAM, you're using a laptop.
    02-11-14 08:18 AM
    Now all we need are supercapacitors technology in our phones with all that power to get good battery life.
    Octacores are to save battery life. You don't use all 8 cores at once

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-11-14 08:21 AM

And just like V-tech engines they'll not run smooth at all.

02-11-14 08:23 AM
    You bought a z30, and now you are going to support Blackberry to the end. You'll probably end up buying blackberry's shares as well. And will develop a hatred for anybody who bash this company. Right?
    Get over it. It's just a phone company. Few days back i read comments about a few ex-bbry employees who shifted to Apple. Those comments were like- "may they bring their karma to Apple". That's not good
    Bashing any company or person or thing, without any rational or logical reason it totally stupid. EMPTY VESSELS MAKE THE MOST SOUNDS. Have you ever developed or invented anything in your life? If you have, you will know it's not easy; you will show some respect. Talk is cheap.
    Oh yes, I got a Z30 on the 1st day of launch in T.O and yes I did same when Z10 was launched too. And guess what, although BlackBerry is not perfect and royally fumbled, I am very happy with my phones. Also I have deep respect for the engineers at BlackBerry for at least trying to keep on moving against all the odds. All BlackBerry can do is try its best and if in the end it fails, so be it.
    Finally, explain to me how you know BlackBerry might be late to the party this time around? SMH.
    02-11-14 08:29 AM
    Bashing any company or person or thing, without any rational or logical reason it totally stupid. EMPTY VESSELS MAKE THE MOST SOUNDS. Have you ever developed or invented anything in your life? If you have, you will know it's not easy; you will show some respect. Talk is cheap.
    Oh yes, I got a Z30 on the 1st day of launch in T.O and yes I did same when Z10 was launched too. And guess what, although BlackBerry is not perfect and royally fumbled, I am very happy with my phones. Also I have deep respect for the engineers at BlackBerry for at least trying to keep on moving against all the odds. All BlackBerry can do is try its best and if in the end it fails, so be it.
    Finally, explain to me how you know BlackBerry might be late to the party this time around? SMH.
    Just relate yourself to a random 'hardcore' Apple fanboy. you'll know what i'm talking about.
    My classmate is just like you, only differences are - the company is Apple, and it turned out that he never actually owned a single product. And no matter how i try to prove my point, people like you will always be right. So stay that way.
    Also, in case you still believe that blackberry isn't late to the party, then nobody can help you
    also, according to you, please tell me what specs will flagships of 2015 will sport? next month, Samsung is coming up with a qHD resolution. processors are usually a beast. Apple will keep doing it's own thing. Nokia will jump into Android along with top class lumias. Sony will manage to make their devices so waterproof that they will resist depth of mariana trench(joke). And by that time, where do you think blackberry will be? will those devices get any cheaper? how will be the 'native' app support? how will be the fanbase(other than that of crackberry)? Will blackberry be welcomed again by everyone? BBM is gone(no more exclusive). BIS will eventually go. What will happen? i don't expect statements like- 'hurr durr we no need mega processors". so please, enlighten me.
    Also, from your words, i can make it out very well that you try hard to defend your decision of getting this z30

I'm off. Enjoy. Try not to love a company for it's engineers, but for the output..next time. You'll feel better. Even i sport a Blackberry, but don't be a shill. That's all i want to tell you. No hard feelings.
    Last edited by Lame Croco; 02-11-14 at 09:43 AM.
    ravipiero likes this.
    02-11-14 09:20 AM
    Just relate yourself to a random 'hardcore' Apple fanboy. you'll know what i'm talking about.
    My classmate is just like you, only differences are - the company is Apple, and it turned out that he never actually owned a single product. And no matter how i try to prove my point, people like you will always be right. So stay that way.
    Also, in case you still believe that blackberry isn't late to the party, then nobody can help you
    You are full of gibberish and it's truly a waste of my time responding to you. You an empty vessel, unless you explain intellectually what makes you think the party has ended for BlackBerry because things are not rosy now. ONLY FOOLS THINK THEY KNOW.
    02-11-14 09:37 AM
    also, according to you, please tell me what specs will flagships of 2015 will sport? next month, Samsung is coming up with a qHD resolution. processors are usually a beast. Apple will keep doing it's own thing. Nokia will jump into Android along with top class lumias. Sony will manage to make their devices so waterproof that they will resist depth of mariana trench(joke). And by that time, where do you think blackberry will be? will those devices get any cheaper? how will be the 'native' app support? how will be the fanbase(other than that of crackberry)? i don't expect statements like- 'hurr durr we no need mega processors". so please, enlighten me.
    But we *don't* need mega processors. The entire purpose of bumping phones up to quad core was to prove that someone's **** was the biggest, then everybody else had to hop on the bandwagon or look like they're being left behind.
    02-11-14 09:38 AM
    My only concern will be an already terrible battery life on an already extremely overused battery technology. Unless they have a better battery type I don't know about.

I think most today are Li-Ion, right?
    Kind of what I was wondering along with heat issues. But I am no tech expert.
    I thought this phone could have a spokeswoman - OCTOMOM. Actually a package of 8 phones, 1 core each. Nice family plan idea
    02-11-14 10:16 AM
    I hope that 8-core Qualcomm chip is actually 8 cores and not some "technically there's 8 cores in there" cop-out like big.LITTLE in those Exynos chips. Sure, there's 8 cores in there, but only up to four are ever used at a time.

Posted via CB10
    LooyDaSixteenth likes this.
    02-11-14 10:28 AM

That's the early approaches but this isn't true in general and especially not forever.
    darkehawke likes this.
    02-11-14 10:39 AM
    Interesting, but I'd be more interested in knowing what they plan on releasing within the next 2 months in the US.
    02-11-14 10:44 AM
    Not sure about 2 months from now but 2 years from now (I hope it's 12/2014) what i heard the Z70 is going to be roughly

1) Screen Resolution : 4K UltraHD on a 5.7" Flagship
    2) Camera Back : 42 MP (1 MP more than Lumia 1020)
    3) Camera Front : 14 MP
    4) Camera Lens : Leica Special Edition
    5) Internal RAM : somewhere between 12GB - 16GB
    6) Glass : Gorilla Glass 5
    7) WLan : 802.12
    8) Video Camera Back : 4K 240fps
    9) Video Camera Front : 4K 120fps
    10) LED : 3 blinking LED's this time

This 8 octa core will not pose any heat issues as the entire lining internally of the phone will be liquid cooled. Battery will also have triple charging capabilities (standard, kinetic and solar powered). And btw, the dial, menu, back, hangup physical buttons is poised to make a comeback.
    02-11-14 11:56 AM
    Kind of what I was wondering along with heat issues. But I am no tech expert.
    I thought this phone could have a spokeswoman - OCTOMOM. Actually a package of 8 phones, 1 core each. Nice family plan idea
    Octomom. You're killing me. Are you here all week?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-11-14 12:18 PM
    Not sure about 2 months from now but 2 years from now (I hope it's 12/2014) what i heard the Z70 is going to be roughly

1) Screen Resolution : 4K UltraHD on a 5.7" Flagship
    2) Camera Back : 42 MP (1 MP more than Lumia 1020)
    3) Camera Front : 14 MP
    4) Camera Lens : Leica Special Edition
    5) Internal RAM : somewhere between 12GB - 16GB
    6) Glass : Gorilla Glass 5
    7) WLan : 802.12
    8) Video Camera Back : 4K 240fps
    9) Video Camera Front : 4K 120fps
    10) LED : 3 blinking LED's this time

This 8 octa core will not pose any heat issues as the entire lining internally of the phone will be liquid cooled. Battery will also have triple charging capabilities (standard, kinetic and solar powered). And btw, the dial, menu, back, hangup physical buttons is poised to make a comeback.
    So far every BlackBerry 10 smartphone with the exception of BlackBerry Q5 has been proclaimed their flagship device until the next smartphone is announced. No smartphone needs an octo-core microprocessor.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-11-14 12:22 PM
    Well I hope you do realise that's not the norm for the majority of the population out there.

Here's the question tho, do you think their phone later will ever be powerful enough to replace their PCs?

I doubt it and I hope BlackBerry has given up on this "mobile computing" thing.

I have been waiting for my phone to be my pc for several years now.

My son doesn't need such a device at his age or based on his use.

Not everyone needs a flagship or high end specs. But if the company is focused on enterprise I believe a true flagship with top of the line specs is absolutely necessary.
    02-11-14 12:26 PM
    Doesn't a superphone require some kind of economy of scale to make sense? One would assume that the R&D expense necessary to make one of these is pretty high so wouldn't you need a pretty big user base to make this worthwhile? It seems more logical for the company selling 50 million smartphones per quarter rather than the one selling 2 million.

It doesn't seem, to me, that Blackberry would be the logical company to do this unless there are enterprise customers that want to pay for this kind of high-end functionality. That would be like hiring a sushi chef for your dorm cafeteria.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-11-14 12:37 PM
    Some of you are killing me talking about what's needed.

A year ago no one needed a 5 inch screen according to Crackberry consensus No one needed a dual core.

Thanks for letting me know. How foolish of me for actually enjoying a large high resolution screen. Maybe I will learn patience as i wait for my underpowered device to do simple things.

I have been using smartphones for over 10 years now. They have come a very long way in terms of their performance. The innovation won't stop just because you don't see the need.
    02-11-14 12:53 PM
    Some of you are killing me talking about what's needed.

A year ago no one needed a 5 inch screen according to Crackberry consensus No one needed a dual core.
    Heh-heh... I reckon the consensus here on the CB forums is directly correlated to whether a current BB product contains a particular feature.

No-one here needs anything it seems - if it's already on another platform, then it's generally described as a gimmick. Once it's on a BB device... then it becomes a "must have" feature!
    02-11-14 01:07 PM
    Personally i still don't see how much further TV resolutions will progress. Ultra hd looks fantastic at the moment, 8k is next and what comes after that? 16k?32k? Would we even be able to see a difference? Any more resolution and the movies will look too real, which in turn would look super cheesy. I think screen technology will always change, but just not the resolution, holograms are gonna be the next big thing after this TV stuff is over.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 01:13 PM
    Well blackberry is jumping to the multi-core madness I for one cant wait. Also lets be honest this is the future complete mobile technology and you either jump in or get left behind. Also for those saying more cores aren't needed that's like saying cars with more efficient and bigger motors aren't needed either.
    Go #BBerry!!
    02-11-14 02:17 PM
    @ Lame Croco & wincyUt

I think the moderator might be cutting you some slack, but you guys are heading in the right direction to get this thread locked because you're starting to make the conversation about one another rather than about whether it would be cool to have a phone that runs on hydrogen and can solve complex algebraic equations while bouncing SMS text messages off the moon. (Or whatever the point of this thread was.)

also, according to you, please tell me what specs will flagships of 2015 will sport? next month, Samsung is coming up with a qHD resolution. processors are usually a beast. Apple will keep doing it's own thing. Nokia will jump into Android along with top class lumias. Sony will manage to make their devices so waterproof that they will resist depth of mariana trench(joke). And by that time, where do you think blackberry will be? will those devices get any cheaper? how will be the 'native' app support? how will be the fanbase(other than that of crackberry)? Will blackberry be welcomed again by everyone? BBM is gone(no more exclusive). BIS will eventually go. What will happen? i don't expect statements like- 'hurr durr we no need mega processors". so please, enlighten me.
    Also, from your words, i can make it out very well that you try hard to defend your decision of getting this z30

I'm off. Enjoy. Try not to love a company for it's engineers, but for the output..next time. You'll feel better. Even i sport a Blackberry, but don't be a shill. That's all i want to tell you. No hard feelings.
    02-11-14 03:06 PM
    To be honest, I think BlackBerry gets it now, while some of its fans still don't : they are here to sell phones, not to prove the market is wrong at where it's heading. If the market says it takes specs upgrade each year to keep selling phones, then that's what they are going to do... making better spec'ed phones every year.

Who cares you need it or not, it's you want it or not counts.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    02-11-14 03:47 PM
143 ... 3456