The specs keep going up but I've yet to see a device that does everything instantly. Where is all that power going? If anything it feels like the specs are always trying to catch up with the bloated OSs just to keep up more or less the same experience.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-11-14 02:12 AM
    I was being sarcastic w.r.t. 8 GB RAM but I agree if BlackBerry released a smartphone with 8 GB RAM and a docking station which triggered a multi-windowed "desktop" on a HDNI-connected monitor, most desktop computers could be replaced in some organisations and homes.
    No it wouldn't, if anybody has a chance at doing that would be Microsoft, but it's just not gonna happen.

Why? Because something like that will only work for single people with no children.

02-11-14 02:18 AM
    I am so glad that the larger tech community doesn't think like some of the posters here.

4 years ago I was using an HTC with a single core and 512MB of RAM. My Note 2 released 3 years later sports a quad core with 2 gigs of RAM. The performance and efficiency gains are huge.
    wincyUt and Acidwire like this.
    02-11-14 02:28 AM
    No it wouldn't, if anybody has a chance at doing that would be Microsoft, but it's just not gonna happen.

Why? Because something like that will only work for single people with no children.

I disagree

Everyone in my home, including 9yo son, has their own phone and pc.I don't see the conflict.
    02-11-14 02:42 AM
    I disagree

Everyone in my home, including 9yo son, has their own phone and pc.I don't see the conflict.
    Well I hope you do realise that's not the norm for the majority of the population out there.

Here's the question tho, do you think their phone later will ever be powerful enough to replace their PCs?

I doubt it and I hope BlackBerry has given up on this "mobile computing" thing.

02-11-14 02:54 AM
    Next year? Ok...bye BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 03:56 AM
    Are we doing software rendering, autocad or Photoshop work on our phones? Then you don't need anything with 4 cores let alone 8!

Posted with my Q10
    +1,000,000

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 TMO US
    02-11-14 04:10 AM
    Are those specs useful? No
    Here's exactly knowing what we'll do with our phones in mid 2015. Thanks Nostradamus.
    02-11-14 04:16 AM
    Here's exactly knowing what we'll do with our phones in mid 2015. Thanks Nostradamus.
    I predict we'll still talk into them lol

Acidwire likes this.
    02-11-14 04:22 AM
    If I remember this correctly, what happens is that when the hardware specs jump up, the software writers become too lazy to write concise software, so the after a short while the patches and updates negate the better hardware and the machine slows down. So the next gen hardware has higher specs to compensate and thereby a never-ending spiral of faster hardware is needed to run more bloated (poorly written) software....
    undone likes this.
    02-11-14 06:03 AM
    The specs keep going up but I've yet to see a device that does everything instantly. Where is all that power going? If anything it feels like the specs are always trying to catch up with the bloated OSs just to keep up more or less the same experience.

I think you bang on with this, as I've just (less eloquently) posted below. Happened first on PCs; now coming to a mobile phone near you....!
    02-11-14 06:06 AM
    Octa Core, next year. by that time, 16 cores will be the trend. and blackberry will be late to the party, as usual.
    02-11-14 06:18 AM
    It already does. I would imagine it is to silence the critics who claim phones need 8 cores to function..

Z30 10.2.1.537
    My only concern will be an already terrible battery life on an already extremely overused battery technology. Unless they have a better battery type I don't know about.

I think most today are Li-Ion, right?
    02-11-14 06:25 AM
    Maybe it'll make android apps run better. I just hope they improve the build quality... cos on z30 it's a nightmare to even get the sim card out

Posted via Z30
    02-11-14 06:30 AM
    I think is plausible, since that was Thorsten vision of mobile computing, hook up BT peripherals and screen, voila, desktop anywhere. With cloud computing you can retrieve files, work and upload back again. Hope this truly comes to life as you will be more productive, save on work commute and enjoy life work balance.

Posted using my Q10 workhorse
    Thanks for a sensible comment. The only reason to go with 8cores if you are really going to bring the desktop experience plus ease of communications onto one platform. I'm really excited to see what they do with peripherals. My bet is that the tablet will get completely redefined as a productivity tool and will be treated as a peripheral as it should be. This could really be that thing that puts BlackBerry ahead of the pack.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 06:33 AM
    I want to use my phone to mine for Bitcoins...this should do it.
    Bitcoins are so 2013. 2014 is the year of Dogecoin!
    Nharzhool likes this.
    02-11-14 07:21 AM
    You kidding right? Android is not efficient. It lags way too much. It probably lags more than legacy BBOS tbh. I hate using anything with Android. My little brother has an S3 (not sure if updated) and he throws fits because of how much his lag. The only way Android will get better is adding more specs and processing power. BB10 with QNX is efficient enough with the specs it has now. You've been told wrong homie.

Posted via CB10
    Look at an up to date android device and you will see that you are wrong. I'm using android ATM and so far it is as smooth as my z10 used to be. Possibly smoother

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-11-14 07:35 AM
    People do realise octacores were purely for battery performance not power? A lot of talk here that seems to miss the point

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-11-14 07:37 AM
    Are we doing software rendering, autocad or Photoshop work on our phones? Then you don't need anything with 4 cores let alone 8!

Posted with my Q10
    *Raising hands* me, me, me! I do photo shop on my phone

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 07:40 AM
    as if any serious engineer or graphic designer would want to create work on a 5.5" screen, as if
    I wouldn't mind creating graphics works on the go

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 07:49 AM
    Octa Core, next year. by that time, 16 cores will be the trend. and blackberry will be late to the party, as usual.
    No matter what, you will never be happy with BlackBerry. With you BlackBerry is always "damn if it does and damn if it doesn't", right?
    02-11-14 07:49 AM
    That's the spirit!
    02-11-14 07:53 AM
    Now all we need are supercapacitors technology in our phones with all that power to get good battery life.
    02-11-14 07:54 AM
    Well, since it is coming out next year, maybe it'll be a standard phone by then ..who knows ... I am curious how battery would be like ... Other than that.... Should be interesting ...
    02-11-14 08:05 AM
    No matter what, you will never be happy with BlackBerry. With you BlackBerry is always "damn if it does and damn if it doesn't", right?
    You bought a z30, and now you are going to support Blackberry to the end. You'll probably end up buying blackberry's shares as well. And will develop a hatred for anybody who bash this company. Right?
    Get over it. It's just a phone company. Few days back i read comments about a few ex-bbry employees who shifted to Apple. Those comments were like- "may they bring their karma to Apple". That's not good
    Acidwire likes this.
    02-11-14 08:06 AM
143 ... 23456