Keep in mind we're talking 2015 here....the competition won't sleep. What is it that'd make BlackBerry the only company to pack such a powerful chipset?
    TgeekB and 00stryder like this.
    02-10-14 03:33 PM
    Since BlackBerry always has slightly lower horse power when it comes to specs the android phone in 2015 will be in sane lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 03:34 PM
    Are those specs useful? No

Are those specs going to boost sales? Definitely

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 04:17 PM
    Hope those octa cores could make my morning coffee, a core or 2 for the coffee and latt�.
    02-10-14 04:38 PM
    This 810 model Snapdragon will allow to shoot video in Ultra HD and 24 MP picture. The A7 processor of IPhone gets 7 cores, so let's wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 04:47 PM
    A lot of people want to.......

Posted via CB10
    as if any serious engineer or graphic designer would want to create work on a 5.5" screen, as if
    02-10-14 05:00 PM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    More processors equal more computing power without more heat. This the reason you won't see a 4Ghz processor in a phone or tablet.
    02-10-14 05:04 PM
    That's just too much processing power for a handheld device.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    02-10-14 05:42 PM
    That's just too much processing power for a handheld device.

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    They said similar about computers a while back.
    02-10-14 05:46 PM
    Are those specs useful? No

Are those specs going to boost sales? Definitely

Posted via CB10
    Needs to move beyond a development platform first. You have no idea how many fancy specc'd out BB devices have landed in R&D and never saw the light of day for various reasons. Battery issues, cost issues, etc etc.
    02-10-14 05:53 PM
    Needs to move beyond a development platform first. You have no idea how many fancy specc'd out BB devices have landed in R&D and never saw the light of day for various reasons. Battery issues, cost issues, etc etc.
    So Blaize.... nice new pic.... Brony? lol
    02-10-14 06:07 PM
    So Blaize.... nice new pic.... Brony? lol
    I love me some ponies!
    BlackBerry to Launch Octa-Core 64-Bit Handsets by Next Year-rainbow_dash.png
    Seriously though, most cartoons today are junk. MLP is actually kinda reasonable for kids and adults alike.
    cjcampbell and 00stryder like this.
    02-10-14 06:12 PM
    Seeing the device is being released summer 2015... ( supposedly ) let us start the refrain " Too little... too late" .... as that is the what BB detracors will be singing as odds are Sammy will have already released a phone with that processor and specs.....
    02-10-14 06:21 PM
    ... to silence the critics who claim phones need 8 cores to function.
    That's stupid - no phone needs 8 cores ... unless a iPhone with 8 cores is released, then - of course - it's absolutely necessary and no one can live without
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    02-10-14 09:21 PM
    Nobody will ever need more than 640k...
    Oh wait...
    WorkStation 0 likes this.
    02-10-14 09:53 PM
    i don't think BB10 needs an octa-core 64bit chipset to run, in fact compared to iOS & Android (in particular) we've seen that BB10 is an optimised mobile computing OS, it doesn't need a monstrous spec to run almost (not all but ALMOST..) any job you wish to throw in. games, streaming, remote desktop, modulating, surveillancing, or whatever it is, still with just a DUAL CORE chipset any of Z10/Q10/Q5 or the current beast, the Z30 can do the job.

besides, what makes BB phone a BB phone is something that they really have to focus on: the KEEP MOVING principle, which means --> concern more on the battery life by optimising the OS and the chipset. that's the most important thing, come on BBRY!!!
    02-10-14 09:55 PM
    The android runtime can definitely use some raw computational power.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-10-14 10:03 PM
    Well.....bring it. Until then, moving on. The possibility is cool. But, if it happens next year, it will be a few additional years before we see it on at&t. LOL. Just joking.
    02-10-14 11:32 PM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Lol, good one

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    02-10-14 11:34 PM
    Who told you that 2 years is FULL. Users may want to keep it for several years. BTW this 2 years is also a Carrier/manufacture forced thing on us. We are made to form an habit of switching phone every two years.

I was once told, some where in MBA lessons, people are advised to create products that breaks at right time, so that customers don't loose trust in the brand.

The CRT TV my father bought worked for 30 years. The Radio with florescence tube lasted for 40. and so on...

I strongly suggest folks visit the BB Storm pages on these forums and look at what was discussed just a few years ago. Dual core phones and a gig of RAM were considered absolutely unnecessary. This is not ancient history, And I will state now, what I stated at that time: Obtain the best available hardware for a new device. Always. Period. Manufacturers may like a device to be obsolete in 6 months (and they do/ did) but consumers don't. An angry or disappointed consumer , is not a return customer. Losing customers when they upgrade is the short road to bankruptcy. Give people a device they will be happy with for 2 full years. Not 6 months. Not one year. Give the the natural life cycle of the device and they will give you there money when they upgrade. Upset them with hardware and software limitations that seem dated in 6 months and they will flee.Octacore. Needed today. Nope. Not even close. Quad core would do nicely. But in 2 years?...
    02-11-14 01:12 AM
    An 8 core CPU can absolutely make sense in various terms.
    Especially when it comes to battery life and apps, tasks, processes that run in the background. That is the technical aspect.

Then there is of course the marketing aspect. People are just into having the latest technology very often and it is just important for a company to have some kind of flagship phone on the market. Even to show up in benchmark lists and everything.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 01:27 AM
    It already does. I would imagine it is to silence the critics who claim phones need 8 cores to function..

Z30 10.2.1.537
    Duct tape is a cheaper way to silence those critics. A bullet might be even cheaper but its use tends to be frown upon by law enforcement.
    02-11-14 01:30 AM
    I love me some ponies!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rainbow_dash.png 
Views:	562 
Size:	424.9 KB 
ID:	246683
    Seriously though, most cartoons today are junk. MLP is actually kinda reasonable for kids and adults alike.
    Fairly Odd Parents is an entertaining family-friendly modern-day cartoon. Yeah I an adult and I watch Fairly Odd Parents.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    02-11-14 01:34 AM
    With 8 cores and 8 gb ram with a docking station u could replace most users laptops/tsblets. Way cheaper for licensing and support

Posted via CB10
    I was being sarcastic w.r.t. 8 GB RAM but I agree if BlackBerry released a smartphone with 8 GB RAM and a docking station which triggered a multi-windowed "desktop" on a HDNI-connected monitor, most desktop computers could be replaced in some organisations and homes.
    02-11-14 01:42 AM
    I think that John Chen said something like:

"Hmm...people complain about old specs...Watson, call Qualcomm and broker a deal giving us their latest and greatest s**t so we can make an over-powered phone - that'll shut them up."

Then I imagine him turning his chair to face the camera while stroking a white rabbit on his lap, laughing maniacally!
    Oh stop it! Your humour is making my gut hurt from excessive laughter. I was imagining Dr. Claw from the Inspector Gadget cartoon.

BlackBerry to Launch Octa-Core 64-Bit Handsets by Next Year-doctor_claw.jpg

On the other hand...
    BlackBerry to Launch Octa-Core 64-Bit Handsets by Next Year-cat_sanity_questioned.jpg
    02-11-14 01:49 AM
143 12345 ...