I strongly suggest folks visit the BB Storm pages on these forums and look at what was discussed just a few years ago. Dual core phones and a gig of RAM were considered absolutely unnecessary. This is not ancient history, And I will state now, what I stated at that time: Obtain the best available hardware for a new device. Always. Period. Manufacturers may like a device to be obsolete in 6 months (and they do/ did) but consumers don't. An angry or disappointed consumer , is not a return customer. Losing customers when they upgrade is the short road to bankruptcy. Give people a device they will be happy with for 2 full years. Not 6 months. Not one year. Give the the natural life cycle of the device and they will give you there money when they upgrade. Upset them with hardware and software limitations that seem dated in 6 months and they will flee.Octacore. Needed today. Nope. Not even close. Quad core would do nicely. But in 2 years?...
    02-10-14 10:54 AM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    It sells.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    02-10-14 10:55 AM
    Same reason everyone says the s4 is better than others phones Lmfaooo,

8, cores my rare, my z10 runs smoother than an s4

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    8 core Z60 blows your Z10 out of the water.

Blackberry_Boss likes this.
    02-10-14 10:57 AM
    I'll be shocked if they do. I thought they weren't getting in the spec wars? And if they really do it won't surprise me it's behind androids anyway who will use the current and not last years chip.
    Staying out of wars, and you wonder why they lose?

02-10-14 10:59 AM
    With 8 cores and 8 gb ram with a docking station u could replace most users laptops/tsblets. Way cheaper for licensing and support

Posted via CB10
    Blackberry_Boss likes this.
    02-10-14 11:00 AM
    I think is plausible, since that was Thorsten vision of mobile computing, hook up BT peripherals and screen, voila, desktop anywhere. With cloud computing you can retrieve files, work and upload back again. Hope this truly comes to life as you will be more productive, save on work commute and enjoy life work balance.

Posted using my Q10 workhorse
    This.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 11:03 AM
    On one side, mobile computing certainly includes standard computing performance and power.
    On the other hand, number of cores is kind of a gimmick to help sell.
    02-10-14 11:11 AM
    This simply isn't possible. Android is way more efficient than QNX. Or so I've been told. And told. And told.

Anyway.... with regards to the OP, of course we don't need an octa-core, but I'd sure love to see how BB10 runs one one.
    You kidding right? Android is not efficient. It lags way too much. It probably lags more than legacy BBOS tbh. I hate using anything with Android. My little brother has an S3 (not sure if updated) and he throws fits because of how much his lag. The only way Android will get better is adding more specs and processing power. BB10 with QNX is efficient enough with the specs it has now. You've been told wrong homie.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 11:50 AM
    You kidding right? Android is not efficient. It lags way too much. It probably lags more than legacy BBOS tbh. I hate using anything with Android. My little brother has an S3 (not sure if updated) and he throws fits because of how much his lag. The only way Android will get better is adding more specs and processing power. BB10 with QNX is efficient enough with the specs it has now. You've been told wrong homie.

Posted via CB10
    Lol, yes he was kidding.

keepthetorch and Nharzhool like this.
    02-10-14 11:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    You mean the didn't give it away?

You're preaching to the choir here, bro.

(Yes, I certainly was kidding!)
    02-10-14 11:55 AM
    02-10-14 12:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    "skins lag" not android. Use a nexus and you will see how samsung UI skins and others really slow down the device. Those issues aren't present with nexus devices or even the newer moto devices.
    02-10-14 12:43 PM
    Whatever specification this phone has BlackBerry must remember to only make about twelve of them instead of billions like they did with the Z/Q10 and then have to write the stock down when no one bought them.
    02-10-14 01:25 PM
    8 cores. Good lord. No one's needs this in a phone but I surely hope they do produce this and give us a real reason to have all that processing power in this device. I really wanna see what this mobile computing is that they keep talking about. If it comes out, I will own this device

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 02:08 PM
    Sounds good but I will believe it when I see it. And if I see it I will buy it!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 02:17 PM
    If the cost is inline with reality,'affordable', and just as usable as other generations of devices, there could be a squirrel in it and BB fans will buy it.
    02-10-14 02:18 PM
    I strongly suggest folks visit the BB Storm pages on these forums and look at what was discussed just a few years ago. Dual core phones and a gig of RAM were considered absolutely unnecessary. This is not ancient history, And I will state now, what I stated at that time: Obtain the best available hardware for a new device. Always. Period. Manufacturers may like a device to be obsolete in 6 months (and they do/ did) but consumers don't. An angry or disappointed consumer , is not a return customer. Losing customers when they upgrade is the short road to bankruptcy. Give people a device they will be happy with for 2 full years. Not 6 months. Not one year. Give the the natural life cycle of the device and they will give you there money when they upgrade. Upset them with hardware and software limitations that seem dated in 6 months and they will flee.Octacore. Needed today. Nope. Not even close. Quad core would do nicely. But in 2 years?...
    Very well said. Basic. Common. Sense.

I would love to see it, if just to see the massive backtracking that will occur... oh my bad... BBRY would do it ONLY to shut the naysayers up. LOL.

On a serious note, I think it makes good sense to future proof devices as much as possible.
    02-10-14 02:22 PM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    MAYBE BB10 will be capable of actually capitalize on 8 cores and really make use of them? Who knows? BB10 =! Android.
    phoneaddict78 likes this.
    02-10-14 02:23 PM
    I think my 2c might be useful here:

Apparently N4BB has reached out to multiple "sources" and confirmed that BB is working on this MSM8994 SoC. More here: BlackBerry Planning Octa-core 64-bit Device by 2015 - N4BB

Other features of the MSM8994 include:

1600MHz 4GB RAM LPDDR3 PoP
    Adreno 430 500 MHz
    Pixel fill Rate 6Gpix / s
    Vertex 500Mtri / s
    OpenGL ES3.0, direct x11.1, OpenCL1.2

I will literally buy a Miracast adaptor for my TV and a Moga Pro and just play games wirelessly on my TV...my gaming laptop would start to be cumbersome. Though this thing would need to pack a >3500 mAh battery - which I'm okay with.

I would absolutely love to see a BlackBerry up near the top of the GeekBench score sheet...if not the top.

I think that John Chen said something like:

"Hmm...people complain about old specs...Watson, call Qualcomm and broker a deal giving us their latest and greatest s**t so we can make an over-powered phone - that'll shut them up."

Then I imagine him turning his chair to face the camera while stroking a white rabbit on his lap, laughing maniacally!
    02-10-14 02:40 PM
    8 cores would be sweet. Do it BlackBerry. I want to run Photoshop from my pocket streaming to a hidden projector and control it using a Thalmic Myo, while taking a bbm voice call on my bbm bluetooth toque... streaming internet radio... over my music gateway... while 3 other people in my house are sharing my mobile hotspot.

I want it all BlackBerry.
    00stryder likes this.
    02-10-14 02:44 PM
    A lot of people want to.......

Posted via CB10
    I already do Autocad 360 with my Z10 ...and that is not to bad at all.
    I should say it is even smoother then the iPad version.
    02-10-14 02:51 PM
    Whatever specification this phone has BlackBerry must remember to only make about twelve of them instead of billions like they did with the Z/Q10 and then have to write the stock down when no one bought them.
    About twelve of them? I guess you won't be getting one, even if you wanted it because I and the other eleven persons will have first right of refusal.
    02-10-14 03:02 PM
    Pffst. 16 core homies. These core threads are so funny.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    02-10-14 03:02 PM
    If I had 8 cores... what would I do...

Well:
    1 core to handle my WiFi conection
    1 core to run the video screen
    1 core to run the bluetooth
    1 core to run the LTE4 connection
    1 core to run background calenders/push email/FB/Twit/LN connections
    1 core to run the camera
    1 core to run the sound.

And 1 core to rule them all Bhahahahahaha!.... No seriously, to run the active app.

Just becuse your chip has 8 cores doesn't mean the OS has to use them all, all the time. In Sleep mode, shut down 7 of them and just listen for the LTE4/WiFi connections.

Besides, I use my phone for driving which means I'd rather it had more computing power to run that software as well as run my music through the car stereo, etc etc.
    02-10-14 03:06 PM
    I doubt it. The problem with a superphone strategy is that you have to (in the US and Canada) launch it right next to the latest iPhone at a price starting at $199 with contract. What are you going to price this Blackberry superphone at? $299? Will the carriers buy that? It would be hard enough to even try to sell this at the same price as the iPhone.

There's no point in putting the Blackberry brand on a premium phone at a premium price for consumers.
    02-10-14 03:14 PM
143 1234 ...