02-10-14 03:07 AM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-10-14 03:29 AM
    Why would a smartphone need 8 cores? Is the next BlackBerry going to have 8 GB RAM and essentially provide a desktop experience?

It already does. I would imagine it is to silence the critics who claim phones need 8 cores to function..

Z30 10.2.1.537
    Carjackd, ppeters914 and igor10000 like this.
    02-10-14 03:33 AM

Goddangit, if this happens, my phone will literally have more processing power than my desktop. Then my gaming world will implode

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-11-14 at 11:54 AM.
    02-10-14 03:39 AM

Same reason everyone says the s4 is better than others phones Lmfaooo,

8, cores my rare, my z10 runs smoother than an s4

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    02-10-14 03:41 AM
    Anyway, no sources in that softpedia stuff, so I don't think this one is credible

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    02-10-14 03:41 AM

Shh don't say that. People will throw rocks at you

Better android than android. The future is black....
    EchuOkan1 and mEntal8y like this.
    02-10-14 05:04 AM
    Are we doing software rendering, autocad or Photoshop work on our phones? Then you don't need anything with 4 cores let alone 8!

Posted with my Q10
    HristoChilov likes this.
    02-10-14 05:28 AM
    Are we doing software rendering, autocad or Photoshop work on our phones? Then you don't need anything with 4 cores let alone 8!

Posted with my Q10
    A lot of people want to.......

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR, imz, Rello and 3 others like this.
    02-10-14 07:04 AM
    A lot of people want to.......

Posted via CB10
    mobile computing baby,,, bring it on,,, that'll shut some people up...
    00stryder and mopar_fxr like this.
    02-10-14 07:09 AM
    It is next year. And if this means 2015 then I won't be surprised if BlackBerry will be in the late to the table again.. I'm sure there will be plenty of other android phones with similar specs..

Btw, these specs aren't crazy! I run cctv analysis over my mobile and currently the Z10 can't handle more then a few cameras at a time. All you guys playing flappy bird and saying the phone is fast enough are making things worse. It's not fast enough, I have multiple experiences where the phone bogs down.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    02-10-14 07:46 AM

Battery life. That's why

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-10-14 07:49 AM
    Goddammit, if this happens, my phone will literally have more processing power than my desktop. Then my gaming world will implode

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    Lolol

Posted via CB10
    02-10-14 08:04 AM

This simply isn't possible. Android is way more efficient than QNX. Or so I've been told. And told. And told.

Anyway.... with regards to the OP, of course we don't need an octa-core, but I'd sure love to see how BB10 runs on one.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 02-10-14 at 11:57 AM.
    bambinoitaliano and Dobber27 like this.
    02-10-14 08:05 AM
    I want to use my phone to mine for Bitcoins...this should do it.
    KDB84, Carjackd, Zirak and 2 others like this.
    02-10-14 08:12 AM
    As Samsung launches a Dodeca-Core 128-Bit handset this year! And the madness continues......
    Bor Navas and kbz1960 like this.
    02-10-14 08:14 AM
    I want to use my phone to mine for Bitcoins...this should do it.
    Lmao best reason yet

James Nieves likes this.
    02-10-14 08:14 AM
    "Rumor has it that the Canadian vendor will launch it by 2015"

- which means December 31st 2015, 23:59:59

- 2 years from now.

I predict all this to be in most android phones within 1 year from now.

Most people are going to make a big deal over it because its a rumor that may come true 2 years from now, but in reality, its not that far-fetched given the time frame we're talking about here.

So I guess ... relax, this device isn't coming out this summer.
    Jimberry Storm likes this.
    02-10-14 08:22 AM
    I think is plausible, since that was Thorsten vision of mobile computing, hook up BT peripherals and screen, voila, desktop anywhere. With cloud computing you can retrieve files, work and upload back again. Hope this truly comes to life as you will be more productive, save on work commute and enjoy life work balance.

Posted using my Q10 workhorse
    dusdal and Deckard79 like this.
    02-10-14 08:22 AM
    Dust off those playbooks we are hooking them up to these handsets and creating massive mobile computers!!The vision of the Mighty Thor!!!
    yvpan1 and 454vette like this.
    02-10-14 09:06 AM

The 8 cores in my FX-8320 desktop allows me to compile with GCC in Linux more than twice as fast as my old core2 quad. More integer units, more can be done at once.

If BlackBerry made the dev kit for OS10 work on OS10 itself, then with a keyboard and mouse one could develop apps right on the device quite well. Sure, ARM is not a fast as x86, but for the limited size and complexity of apps, I think an 8 core ARM would be pretty snappy for compilation.

Video and photo editing software can be made to be heavily multi threaded as well.

From a practical sense for the average user, no one needs 8 ARM cores at this point. However, the more powerful the device hardware, the more developers can do with it and the more end users will see innovative products.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    lactose and 00stryder like this.
    02-10-14 09:41 AM
    From a practical sense for the average user, no one needs 8 ARM cores at this point. However, the more powerful the device hardware, the more developers can do with it and the more end users will see innovative products.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    Sure that's the case today, but then that all depends on what people might be planning for mobile uses in the future. If mobile is heading for a true plug-in, all-in-one computing experience (such that the Atrix attempted a few years ago and Thor alluded to more recently), the more horsepower the better -- so long as the OS, apps and interfaces know how to use it.
    02-10-14 09:47 AM
    Nobody thought 5 years ago, we'd need the processing power we have today. But with the apps/games (running multiple at the same time, headless apps etc...), the specs we have today is necessary. Think back to the Commodore 64....PC's had the power to do what it needed at the time. People always complain that Blackberry doesn't have the best specs, and they are falling behind. So now, they are talking about putting out huge specs....maybe now, blackberry is trying to be ahead of the curve? What kind of processing power will we need in 3 or 4 years from now? Maybe the Octa-Core devices will be standard in 3 years, because it will need it. There's a reason for this....we are just not informed as to what those reasons are! I'm not a big spec guy, but if BB is coming out with a higher spec device, than there's a reason for it. I think Mobile Computing is coming, and this is the start. I want to be able to have my Blackberry as my main device, so I can hook them up to peripherals, and it's also my main PC as well.
    02-10-14 09:50 AM
    It would be a nice marketing thingy (if released on time), but more important to me is battery life and optimization. I think that could be the path.
    Along with a 347 Mpixel camera! Lol

channel C000F331C- my Z30 rocks!
    02-10-14 10:08 AM
    I'll be shocked if they do. I thought they weren't getting in the spec wars? And if they really do it won't surprise me it's behind androids anyway who will use the current and not last years chip.
    mEntal8y likes this.
    02-10-14 10:19 AM
143 123 ...