I read somewhere (in my imagination) that RIM is coming out with a computing platform similar to QNX to compete with Microsoft's and Apple's computing platforms. Of course I completely made that up, but what does the Crackberry Nation think about the idea? I ran into an article on CNET about the idea of an iOS laptop. Are Apple and Microsoft computers too big to compete with in the near or far future? is there no point due to existing tablet/keyboard combos? Thoughts?
    01-30-12 05:07 PM
    It wouldn't surprise me if RIM is in the (very, very) early stages of making BB10 into a legitimate computing platform.

You can already hook it up to a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Starting next month you'll be able to control your Playbook with your phone while it's hooked up to a projector or HDTV.

It's only a short leap to creating a 'dock' that connects the PlayBook to a PC monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse. Boom, just like that, instant desktop computer. And it already had your media, internet browser, email account ready to rock and roll (this).
    01-30-12 05:19 PM
    Doubt it, BB is a cell phone company not a computer company.
    01-30-12 05:27 PM
    Doubt it, BB is a cell phone company not a computer company.
    Ummmm... Research in Motion is much more than a cell phone company...

But No, I don't ever see a laptop ever being made by them. Wouldn't buy one anyway...
    01-30-12 05:31 PM
    Laptops are fast becoming old school. Soon there will be no need for them. Since I got a playbook mine is rotting on the shelf, my pc too! I only use the laptop to transfer files and backup. Hopefully in the near future I won't need it at all!
    01-30-12 08:25 PM
    With so many different/various tablets and the like, I dont see BB diggin' in and putting much hindsight on laptops. They will keep on focusing on the PB and their phones though, that is for sure.

It will be an interesting year for RIM!

I will say, I wouldnt mind having a BB laptop though.
    01-30-12 08:32 PM
    An 11-13" laptop, with a thin form factor similar to a MacBook Air that utilized BB10 as the OS would be awesome. Imagine the integration that BB has to offer with that.

You have an 11-13" BB laptop to back up and store everything to and take care of your serious computing/processing needs. You have a 7" tablet to take on the go with you if you don't want to take your "big" laptop around. You also have your BB cell phone for your communication needs.

Now, integrate the whole enchilada. BB Bridge not just to your PB and cell phone, but Bridge that work your laptop. How about using your BB laptop keyboard to type something on your phone or playbook? Say you're surfing the web on your laptop, and someone sends you a BBM or text message, instead of picking up your phone or digging in your pocket/purse, you just get a notification on your BB laptop, and can respond right from the laptop.

And... Everything is still backed up to BB Protect, and you can also trace/locate your BB Laptop with the BBP as well. Not to mention the seamless WIRELESS transfer of files via bridge. Or how about BBMusic on all 3 devices?

The possibilities are limitless. The fact is, just about everyone who has a BB phone or PB still use a laptop/computer in some fashion to support their devices, and if you can create an awesome experience in cost-effective laptop, then that will give RIM an excellent opportunity to 1. encapsulate their eco-system, and 2. bring more users to the world of BB.

It all rises and falls on the OS that RIM would be able to deliver on a personal computer level. Program support for all of our favorite and commonly used software that are non BB would take time to bring over. Although I'm not sure how profitable it would be considering the cornered market that Apple and MS have on the pc world, but still, one can dream.
    01-30-12 08:59 PM
    Yeah, then we'd have another BlackBerry blacklisted by every software developer. That really would be RIM's last nail in the coffin.
    01-30-12 09:14 PM
    They should. It can connect straight to BES/BIS and you wouldn't need any virus protection AND YOU WOULDN'T HAVE ANY VIRUSES

BOO YEA
    01-30-12 11:36 PM
    A QNX-based laptop should not be far from imagination at time (this is 2012!!!),
    However, RIM will need some staple name support to have a chance. Intel is the perfect name. A successful mobile Blackberry device based on Intel can at least accelerate on feasibility (maybe even power workstations).

I cannot even begin to imagine the huge potential of an Intel-based Blackberry (it will be huge). Hopefully Thorsten gets Rubenstein to work on devices based on Intel. He already worked wonders with the iPod, webOS and Pre. So why not Intel?

Remember back in 2005 when Apple got Intel? Without Intel there would, in no way, shape, or form, a Macbook Air.
    ...and now Apple is on its way to become TOP PC (yeap PC) vendor this year.
    01-31-12 06:36 AM
    Blckberry ,it was said very good, But I never had one.
    01-31-12 07:15 AM
    I do love the idea but... I think a better route would be to make a 10" Playbook with a really good connectible keyboard, and make it much more powerful than the 7" Playbook. It's pretty much exactly the same as a laptop but you can take the touch screen with you.

It's the same as asking, should HP make a laptop with a removable touch screen?

Regular laptops are going to be going the way of the dodo soon enough, I don't think RIM should waste their time on one.
    01-31-12 08:35 AM
    Laptops are fast becoming old school. Soon there will be no need for them. Since I got a playbook mine is rotting on the shelf, my pc too! I only use the laptop to transfer files and backup. Hopefully in the near future I won't need it at all!
    This! I gave my laptop to my husband and we've since turned the desktop into a media center for our computer. With the PB I really dont have a need for a laptop. QNX as an PC OS would be pretty awesome though.
    01-31-12 08:41 AM
    Wall Street would destroy them if this was announced. The laptop market is already considered oversaturated. Profits would be hard to come by, and that's all Wall Street wants from them right now.
    01-31-12 08:45 AM
    I read somewhere (in my imagination) that RIM is coming out with a computing platform similar to QNX to compete with Microsoft's and Apple's computing platforms. Of course I completely made that up, but what does the Crackberry Nation think about the idea? I ran into an article on CNET about the idea of an iOS laptop. Are Apple and Microsoft computers too big to compete with in the near or far future? is there no point due to existing tablet/keyboard combos? Thoughts?
    Aside from the initial trolling with rumours you pose an interesting question. In my opinion, Research In Motion should focus on smartphones and tablets and down the road sometime after 2012 begin looking into a docking station type configuration which includes two options:

1. a keyboard similar in style to the Happy Hacker series of keyboards, a mouse, and a 22-inch LED HD monitor similar in style to the Vizio M220VA-CA; the BlackBerry PlayBook is seated into a slot on the side of the monitor which automatically recharges the tablet and provides integrated HDMI connectivity.
    2. a keyboard similar in style to the Happy Hacker series of keyboards and a mouse; the BlackBerry PlayBook is seated vertically in a slot behind the top row of keys and serves as the monitor; the keyboard slot automatically recharges the tablet and provides integrated HDMI connectivity through a port on the keyboard similar to how USB mice connect to some keyboards for desktop computers.

This way only a single tablet is required for both stationary and mobile use, though nothing says you cannot have multiple tablets since the docking station should be designed to allow hot-swapping of tablets. This could replace the traditional desktop computer and quite possibly the traditional notebook computer as well for many users.
    Paul_S_John likes this.
    01-31-12 08:58 AM
    I made a New Year's resolution to just look at posts and not comment on any regardless of how I feel about them, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But here we are, a month into the New Year, and I have to say that this is without a doubt the most inane post I have read on any BB related board since I have had a BB (the first one). Are you serious? Linux has poured hundreds of millions into the attempt, and I doubt that there is 1% consumer market share, though it has penetration and good use in commercial world. So RIM, who can't get out of their own way and come out with a new phone that is competitive with Apple and Android/Google, should take whatever talent they have left working for them and start a computer project????? We can't even get anyone to write any real useful applications anymore for BB, you think Microsoft is going to port office to a QNX backbone? Or Google? I love to read about thought provoking ideas for new products, but this is truly inane. You should forward it to Steve Balmer, or better yet, the new CEO at RIM, I'm sure it would be so well accepted.

And by the way, tablets just don't 'compute', they have some real reasons to exist, whatever flavor you like, but they aren't computers.....try doing a complex Excel spreadsheet on one.

Sorry to have broken my resolution, this one is just way to far over the top, not even in the realm of science fiction!

01-31-12 09:44 AM
    Yeah there's no room for another computer OS right now, especially one that's brand new. Apple and Microsoft have been working on OS X and Windows for years and they're just way too far ahead to catch up with.

If it was to run BB10 or something it would have to have a touchscreen, and then it would just be a PlayBook with a keyboard attached. I don't really see a need.
    01-31-12 04:02 PM
    I will buy it eh
    01-31-12 05:16 PM
    Its a neat thought but if you think bb is having a hard time getting more apps for its phones imagine what it would be like on a pc? You'd need a fully mature office suite just for starters. Then specific apps for various industries and work places etc... It would be a huge undertaking with the odds of it succeeding very slim. I don't think the investment in developing something like this would be worth the risk.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    01-31-12 05:37 PM
    it would be nice . id buy one . and if u dont . i dont care
    01-31-12 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD