No place like Home?

There is a huge problem with others trying to change to the type of operating system BlackBerry is using. Both the iPhone and Android use an operating system revolving around the HOME button. It is a complete, monumental, change to get rid of that button, yet try and maintain backwards compatibility with older software.

They can add some swipe commands but they can't change entirely. They are hobbled by 6 year old operating systems, initially designed for far less powerful hardware.

BB10 was written from the ground up as a keyless operating system, incorporating the best features and lessons of the past 6 years.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    01-31-13 09:57 AM
    No place like Home?

There is a huge problem with others trying to change to the type of operating system BlackBerry is using. Both the iPhone and Android use an operating system revolving around the HOME button. It is a complete, monumental, change to get rid of that button, yet try and maintain backwards compatibility with older software.

They can add some swipe commands but they can't change entirely. They are hobbled by 6 year old operating systems, initially designed for far less powerful hardware.

BB10 was written from the ground up as a keyless operating system, incorporating the best features and lessons of the past 6 years.
    The problem with your argument is that I don't think (based on what I've seen so far anyway) iOS and especially Android will feel any pressure whatsoever to move towards what BB is doing. If anything I think the BB software solidifies the direction Apple and especially Android are headed in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-31-13 10:22 AM
    Yes, obviously the markets agree with you.
    Do you have a BB10 device to use are you shilling again?
    mikeo007 and aniym like this.
    01-31-13 10:24 AM
    Nadda

In the markets that can, right now, buy the new BB the IPhone and Droids are non factors.
    Thus the new BB phones will not affect either Apple or the Droid folks.

Only when BB hits the U.S. will we see if it can stand the heat or not.

Tim
    SEAWARRIOR and nquyen like this.
    01-31-13 10:38 AM
    How about if it starts to out sell the Iphone and Android in all other markets but not in the US, will they say its a flop?
    01-31-13 10:44 AM
    No place like Home?

Very enthusiastic! However the concept of th home button, may not be that serious. People are familiar with buttons. And hopefully most of us are familiar with the concept of "home" as many have one. Going home is something a lot of people like.

Having said that and having played with a z10 today I think I might prefer no home button.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:47 AM
    How about if it starts to out sell the Iphone and Android in all other markets but not in the US, will they say its a flop?
    Yes
    01-31-13 10:51 AM
    Yes, because any positive opinion on BB is shilling, but BB bashing is just being realistic and rational.

We're heard this tripe before.
    zyben, Pdinos3, hpjrt and 5 others like this.
    01-31-13 10:55 AM
    Yep, at least that's what the US Tech sites/Blogs will say until they cannot deny that the whole world has moved on.
    And that's of course a big IF.

But Blackberry has a solid product here and a open field of possibilities to take this new OS, so I do remain excited and hopeful.
    zyben and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-13 10:57 AM
    the goal for the Blackberry boys can only be to sell enough berries till they make a profit,
    if they want a life or death battle with both Apple and Samsung, the Blackberry boys will lose...
    so as a strong 3rd Blackberry should be happy to watch Apple and Samsung duke it out for number one.......
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 10:58 AM
    Very enthusiastic! However the concept of th home button, may not be that serious. People are familiar with buttons. And hopefully most of us are familiar with the concept of "home" as many have one. Going home is something a lot of people like.

Having said that and having played with a z10 today I think I might prefer no home button.
    If it works anything like the PlayBook interface -- I most certainly support the no-home-button way of life. Everytime I step back to my Nook (only for its superior book market... and once for Angry Birds Star Wars for a while), I find myself annoyed at having to click without really getting what I want.

It took a week or two to fall in love with it. But there was an enlightening moment when I realized why navigation was so enjoyable.
    Shanerredflag and zyben like this.
    01-31-13 11:06 AM
    Yes, because any positive opinion on BB is shilling, but BB bashing is just being realistic and rational.

We're heard this tripe before.
    Who is bashing? Fanboy-ism is fine, but only the markets and device sales will prove or disprove the theory that no home key is a game changer.
    Do you have a Z10 yet?
    richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    01-31-13 11:24 AM
    Nadda

In the markets that can, right now, buy the new BB the IPhone and Droids are non factors.
    Thus the new BB phones will not affect either Apple or the Droid folks.

Only when BB hits the U.S. will we see if it can stand the heat or not.

Tim
    RIM's hopes for survival is getting NEW customers/users on board. Right now their user base is small and they are hoping to attract now only the current Blackberry users but the need people to come back. They really need the corporate world to embrace them again! It will be a long haul but if the software and hardware work, they will do good!
    01-31-13 11:50 AM
    The only squeeze is the long one on the stock.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-31-13 11:53 AM
    Markets are reacting to March USA before Blackberry ships there.

Pre-orders show large % non Blackberry phone users moving to Blackberry 10.

Lets see what happens in USA, I suspect that trend holds.

Interesting times ahead, I'm curious who loses more market share to Blackberry 10, will it be apple or droid, what's your guess?
    morganplus8 and zyben like this.
    01-31-13 02:28 PM
    snip...Pre-orders show large % non Blackberry phone users moving to Blackberry 10. ...
    Where is this shown? Linky link?
    01-31-13 03:00 PM

Interesting times ahead, I'm curious who loses more market share to Blackberry 10, will it be apple or droid, what's your guess?
    What's your source for this pre-orders claim?

As for mega sales in the US...Thanks to the Z10 release date of March in the US, Blackberry's great new hope will be released after Mobile World Congress where even more powerful Android phones with specs FAR surpassing the Z10 will be announced. HTC has a press conference in February, ditto for Nokia with their new wave of WP8 devices and updated PureView cameras.

How much of the Superbowl ad vibes will still be there when the entire media in late feb/early march will be blanketed with cutting edge games running on Nvidia's Tegra 4, new 1080p hardware from HTC, Sony, LG, Motorola et al sporting 13MP cameras?
    When you assail a fast moving target, it's always very difficult.
    Drew808, richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    01-31-13 04:24 PM

What preorders are you talking about? You mean that rumour about Canadian pre-orders? Firstly, unsubstantiated rumour. Second, Canadians have always supported BlackBerry more than other countries, I was one of them.

Canada is also a minuscule drop in the bucket for smartphone sales. Reservations for each of the big 3 are in the mid thousands, not tens of thousands like several other major phones that launched in the past year, thousands.
    richardat likes this.
    01-31-13 04:32 PM
    like i've said in other posts, i am far from loyal to any brand or company, i'd like to get a z10, but the fact that i'd be losing functionality compared to my htc device i purchased 2 years ago, and the fact that the specs are almost identical, the fact that bbm would be useless to me as nobody i know has a bb anymore are pretty much putting the breaks on the purchase. yeah i'd love to try it out for a month or two to see how it is, but again, it would be a step back in functionality. RIM left room between the z10 and what is already out there, something this community said they just couldn't do. now people are apologizing for it. i cannot see one single feature that would draw and android user away to bb10, iphone maybe, but again they'd be facing the same drop in functionality.
    richardat and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-31-13 07:47 PM
    like i've said in other posts, i am far from loyal to any brand or company, i'd like to get a z10, but the fact that i'd be losing functionality compared to my htc device i purchased 2 years ago, and the fact that the specs are almost identical, the fact that bbm would be useless to me as nobody i know has a bb anymore are pretty much putting the breaks on the purchase. yeah i'd love to try it out for a month or two to see how it is, but again, it would be a step back in functionality. RIM left room between the z10 and what is already out there, something this community said they just couldn't do. now people are apologizing for it. i cannot see one single feature that would draw and android user away to bb10, iphone maybe, but again they'd be facing the same drop in functionality.
    How are you losing functionality? You going to tell me apps?
    01-31-13 07:53 PM
    How are you losing functionality? You going to tell me apps?
    well for starters, my bbm contact list which used to be 30 friends i was close to would now be 0, i had one friend still hanging on to bb and finally caved to get a galaxy s3. they've all moved onto iphone or android. to replace bbm we've all started using google plus, which is actually better than bbm as it's multi platform, it does group chats, and video chat, and even GROUP VIDEO CHAT, which we use often in different circles. we even use that at my job to have on the go meetings. so that would be a functionality loss. the camera isn't as robust as androids current camera, there is functionality lost there. customizability seems to have taken a hit for now, bb will probably add to this as time goes on but right now i'm not liking the fact that i have to move around on screens to figure out who sent me a message, the way android handles this currently is to flash the message in the status bar then it fads to a single icon, it's non intrusive, when i read the status bar doesn't appear in-app in bb10 i cringed. the z10 has identical hardware to the device i purchased 2 years go so hardware wise it wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all, and considering the camera quality seems to be just ok, i'd be losing more functionality there. it appears the OS has some redundancy bugs to smooth out in terms of how you get around in the hub. every review i've read, including kevins notes that the hub is a bit fumble-around-with. so i would probably be losing some speed / ease of use there. all this said, i still want a z10, it's a shame that it's so much though, i think the pricing is going to hurt them. all in all again, i still want one, i just wish RIM didn't leave such a huge gap between the z10 and the current market. the OS has some cool features, but not really anything exclusive.
    Last edited by katiepea; 01-31-13 at 09:07 PM.
    Admorris likes this.
    01-31-13 08:07 PM
    Android has some hope of adapting because they share the Linux kernel with Unbuntu, which is much more swipe-friendly and has already been proven able to run alongside an existing Android OS on a phone over a year old. Apple? They'd have to redo the whole works. And as long as they keep selling as-is, you know they won't risk a change.
    02-01-13 12:27 AM
    What's your source for this pre-orders claim?

As for mega sales in the US...Thanks to the Z10 release date of March in the US, Blackberry's great new hope will be released after Mobile World Congress where even more powerful Android phones with specs FAR surpassing the Z10 will be announced. HTC has a press conference in February, ditto for Nokia with their new wave of WP8 devices and updated PureView cameras.

How much of the Superbowl ad vibes will still be there when the entire media in late feb/early march will be blanketed with cutting edge games running on Nvidia's Tegra 4, new 1080p hardware from HTC, Sony, LG, Motorola et al sporting 13MP cameras?
    When you assail a fast moving target, it's always very difficult.
    Android users are obsessed with specs... How is it that the iPhone 5 with even less specs than the Z10 can outperform almost all if not all the souped up Android handsets available today?

The synergy between the hardware and software is what delivers a compelling experience. I've also seen many cameras with smaller megapixel counts outperform their more illustrious competitors due to superior image processing and lenses. High megapixel count is not a barometer if picture quality!

This spec talk is very much akin to people who have self esteem issues because they are seriously lacking in the pants.
    Fr3lncr and zyben like this.
    02-01-13 01:02 AM
    Oh no..8 core android that stills run slower then the dual core z10 or even older hardware on the ip5.

1080 screen? Go right ahead..I don't think people can tell the difference on such a small screen.

Again..specs only matter to android users because 1) android os needs more power to run smooth. 2) it's the only way android hardware manufacturers can differentiate from each other in order to sell more handsets.

Reminds me of the digital camera megapixel war..who has the highest count with no regard to image quality.

It's all about user experience.
    02-01-13 01:13 AM
    Then there is a problem because I haven't come across a review that says the user experience is any better than android.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    02-01-13 01:17 AM
57 123