You know that feeling when you're at a party, someone's on stage doing karaoke and they're dying on their arse? You just want to drag them off because it's painful to watch. It's how I feel every time I see an article about Blackberry these days. In fact, I could sum up that emotion in a sentence:

Taxi for BlackBerry - it's time to go.

Just this week, the boss, Thorsten Heins, was urging investors not to write the company off, begging for more time to let his three-stage turnaround strategy work. Shares fell by almost 30 per cent in June - just months after the much publicised launch of the Z10, the Q10 and OS, BlackBerry 10.

You wonder how much time Heins needs - considering an instant success could be measured easily. 20 million Galaxy S4's sold by Samsung in two months, for example. That's the kind of maths Mr Heins is praying for. But it ain't coming, by the looks of things.

Pre-Christmas, the tech world was eager to see what fruity treats the company formerly known as RIM could offer. But the January blues set in as punters and retailers realises the magic was gone.

The Z10 appears to have been a flop. And even though BlackBerry and Selfridges were keen to point out there were queues for the Q10 when it launched exclusively there, one swallow does not a summer make. In fact, the swallow seems to have died on the wing and fallen out of the sky.

Now, investors - and voyeuristic tech journalists who can see what's happening - are wondering how many second chances this company needs. Outside the gates of its HQ in the aptly-named Waterloo, this battle is being lost.

Part of the problem is beyond BlackBerry's control. These days, apps sell a phone as much as the design and the OS. Would the iPhone be as popular if there was no third-party love, as was the case at launch?

The twist here is that BlackBerry has always supported third party apps - before Google and Apple started biting into market share. Many were - and still are - poorly designed, overpriced tat, but the underlying fact is that RIM always had its doors open.

The launch of the App World made that official but many of the big names have stayed away. BlackBerry has made a nice looking shop with a lot of crap, expensive stock on the shelves.

It wasn't always this way. 10 years ago, a BlackBerry was the status symbol. Hell, even five years ago, it was a big deal. When I received a company BlackBerry while working at the BBC, I was giddy with excitement - not at the model, since they'd gone budget (license fee money, after all), but the fact I suddenly became somebody.

Calls of "I'm on my BlackBerry" as I headed out of the office were pretty common. (As were comments of "You're a tosser" thrown back at me, I'm sure, as I manoeuvred my big head out of the office door.)

And BlackBerry was diversifying. Out went the fear of cameras (lest security-conscious IT managers screamed about espionage concerns) and in came a big push to get BBM down with the kids.

For the last few years, BlackBerries have been just as synonymous with teenagers as traders. But the advent of services like WhatsApp is once again proving that there are alternatives out there. And don't even go there with the PlayBook. #FAIL.

So, where does it go from here? Here's a radical idea: why doesn't RIM ditch OS 10 and adopt Android? It may sound crazy on the surface, but there are reasons why this could work.

Firstly, Android and iPhone sales are taking away what was once BlackBerry's core market. This would allow RIM to tackle the competition head on with an if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them approach. Secondly, it would give RIM instant access to a huge app library, with all the big names.

And thirdly, as we've seen with the likes of the Kindle Fire and Nook HD, Android can be tailored to look and feel exactly as the owner wants. An Android-running BlackBerry could be made to look exactly like an OS 10 running BlackBerry, to make the user feel familiar and comfortable with what they're holding.

The beauty is here that BlackBerry can have its cake and eat it. It can still run its services independently within an Android framework if it wants to reassure customers. Remember the Siemens SK65 or the Nokia E61? Both third-party handsets, which accessed BlackBerry's services. Neither sold well, but they were examples of RIM's core service working on other native operating systems.

This may be akin to dancing with the devil. But if RIM doesn't stand up and put those dancing shoes on, it may find itself waltzing off into the sunset sooner rather than later.

I've reviewed dozens of phones and tablets for TechRadar over the years - each time putting them through their paces in the most unbiased, rigorous way possible.

But as well as being a professional, I have a love/hate relationship with tech, and that's what these columns are all about: the passionate howlings of a true fanboy. Tell me why I'm right, wrong or a hopeless ***** in the comments below or by tweeting @techradar or @phillavelle.
    BlackBerry isn't working: time to call it quits | News | TechRadar
    Carl Estes and 3Dee like this.
    07-12-13 11:48 AM
    Loads of truth but.. I beg to differ. I still believe they can make a turnaround. If you have personally been in position where all hope seemed lost like I've been and Apple.. at one point was.. you'd realise that nothing is impossible. If there's one thing that is the clearest truth in this world.. it's "nothing is impossible".

You can agree or disagree.. it does not matter. Your view is more on the negative cos you just can't see the other side. For me.. I can and that's what Thorstein can see too just like Steve Jobs saw it with Apple. It will take time.. but it is possible and with hard work there is nothing that can stop it.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 11:57 AM
    Interesting read, I wonder what I would find if I looked up what tech journo's were saying about Android 5 months after the platform was released???

A ton of truth in there for sure, but 5 months in are we really pulling for plug????

Swiped On My Zed10
    lynxs_claw, web99 and bungaboy like this.
    07-12-13 12:15 PM
    Lol this guy is just doing negative pr. Bet he is working for some other phone company....

BB Z10 rocks.
    07-12-13 12:22 PM
    Interesting read, I wonder what I would find if I looked up what tech journo's were saying about Android 5 months after the platform was released???

A ton of truth in there for sure, but 5 months in are we really pulling for plug????
    You can't compare Android in the first 5 months to BB10. Totally different situations.

Smartphones were new back then and the market was growing fast - Android got in at a good time and grew with the market. Now the market it over-saturated and have 2 major players cleaning up - with WP8 coming in 3rd with the HUGE advantage of having Microsoft's deep pockets and tie-in's to major apps and enterprise. BB10 was VERY late to the gun fight and only brought a knife.

The article is spot-on for the most part. The writing is on the all.
    pineappleqwer likes this.
    07-12-13 12:23 PM
    One word...

No.

Here's two more...

Get lost.

~STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2025 TMO US
    07-12-13 12:23 PM
    People seem to forget that Samsung never was this popular before and that the sole reason why they became that popular was because of the android dev community. I remember when the Samsung galaxy s2 first came out. Nobody really had it and people mostly cared for iPhones. But the dev community was going crazy for that phone. It was such a great phone, especially for developing custom roms and rooted apps. And now Samsung is at the top just how HTC was before it.

Heins needs to realize that developers can make a huge difference in the mobile business. It has been proven in the android community and it's part reason why Apple is still a popular platform.
    Korepab, web99 and sonic_reducer like this.
    07-12-13 12:40 PM
    Nothing incorrect in what he wrote.
    The truth is sometimes hard to accept or see - especially when the rose coloured glasses are on.

BlackBerry is in deep, deep trouble now. Enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists notwithstanding.
    07-12-13 12:46 PM
    Probably not going to happen. Although I could see the benefit of it, they'd be competing head-on with all the other Android phones, and I doubt that would work out in their favour.
    07-12-13 12:50 PM
    There are a number of issues I take with the OP's take on things. Yes, BlackBerry has dug themselves a very deep hole. Yes, apps do make a difference, but they are not the be all and end all of a mobile platform. Just having all the most recent hottest apps would not guarantee BlackBerry's sales increase, especially in the USA.

Going Android is just plain dumb. One more manufacturer out of the already crowded field of Android producers. We already know that some of the Android handset manufacturers are struggling to make it.

Since BlackBerry is known as an OS and handset maker, it would take a lot of work to get people to understand that BlackBerry now means android. Seems counter productive to me. Might as well go for broke with BB10.

Did the lack of consistent marketing at the point of sale hurt BlackBerry? Yes. Did the delay from launch to first BB10 phone available in the USA hurt? Yes.

With that being said it is way too early to set funeral arrangements. BlackBerry has some more quarters to go before you can plan the services. There is no guarantee they will make it, but as a funeral director there is one thing I do know, you don't bury someone when they are still breathing. And BlackBerry has $3.1 billion breaths left.

They have QNX which is in many autos here in the states. They have to spend some money in earnest to make money, get some partnerships in line, and their viability is a distinct possibility.

Cross Platform BBM, continued sales, the Aristo being launched on time with great marketing can really improve things at BlackBerry. Let's agree to meet here after the Q4 Annual Meeting and see where BlackBerry is and whether they will need my professional services.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    web99 and itsyaboy like this.
    07-12-13 12:51 PM
    Guys don't even bother replying, there's 500 other threads that say the exact same thing. Let's get back to talking about features and other interesting information rather than replying to a redundant thread.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 12:57 PM
    Nook. Failed. Kindle fire. Only a success because of amazons backing.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-12-13 01:04 PM
    Although I agree with some points, the tone is a bit harsh.

Something I've been wondering lately is if they'd do well to start spending that stockpile of cash they have on marketing, R&D, etc instead of letting it just sit there like a takeover asset. It's fine and dandy to show a three tiered plan on a slideshow and say that's what they're striving to do, but they need to WALK THE WALK now. Spending money now would work out well in the long run I think.
    07-12-13 01:08 PM
    i agree and i disagree,,,,they are not dead yet? maybe never but for bb to survive the need a kick a@@ phone, and priced cheaper get the phones out in peoples hands...
    07-12-13 01:08 PM
    See one thing you did not mention is that YES bbos 10 is on par with ios and android not lower or any less by any means. There are attributes that soar In comparison to ios and android.
    Yes we still need more apps but bbos10 will eventually get to its former glory. The quality of the builds and keyboard in my opinion trumps ios and android. It's ridiculous how in accurate the virtual touch typing and I still think that needs major improvement. Smartphones are used a lot for social usage and social usage is communication via typing. If the typing experience is flawed yet you have a beautiful slim all touch screen smartphone, then it ain't so smart if typing inaccuracy is going to be a user experience everyday!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-12-13 01:09 PM
    Thanks for adding you thoughts, very passionate and entertaining.

I do think the idea of slapping a BB10 skin over android is a workable proposition, with BBM going cross network and android JB being updated in the sideloading runtime, the jump is not so far.

I'm only considering this now as I have been one of the voices shouting at Nokia to make an android handset and to stop being stubborn, but they have a deal with MS which provides them with well needed funds.

Its a tough one.

Enterprise may see the overal value of security and control with BB10, but as for consumers, well they don't give a **** as long as the most popular apps are available to download as soon as they are aware of them.

The drama continues....
    07-12-13 01:11 PM
    I think that at this point, sticking with BB10 is the better option. In a less crowded Android field, switching now could probably work, but as it is now, I don't think it helps.

I guess the key question is whether BBRY itself wants to remain in the hardware business. I suspect it might be making that transition already.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-12-13 01:16 PM
    I think we'll have a very clear idea of BlackBerry's future by the end of this year, but not much sooner.

In the meantime, we have a promising platform running on reasonably good hardware. No question, BB is further ahead than they were two years ago. Whether that's far enough to actually get them back into contention remains to be seen. Personally, I'm still optimistic.
    07-12-13 01:27 PM
    I agree with the OP. BlackBerry and Nokia are very similar in that they refuse to do what so many want them to do- adopt Android. But alas both will cease to exist in their current form, bankruptcy or acquisition will be the future. You simply cannot exist in this day and age without a proper app ecosystem. Consumers demand it and will stay away unless their demands are met. If BlackBerry would just concentrate on being the only Physical keyboard Android hardware manufacturer they would certainly succeed and that would be their legacy. Those of you who want them to stay the course are just as delusional ans stubborn as Nokia and BlackBerry are. You can go down with the ship if you must, as for me I am not loyal to any one manufacturer or OS. Keep innovating and improving and you will have my business.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    07-12-13 01:29 PM
    If BB had chosen Android, they would have had a number of competitive advantages over the other vendors.

1. a base of 70 million potential upsells
    2. an Android fork with strong security
    3. BB keyboard for the keyboard fans
    Nine54 likes this.
    07-12-13 01:42 PM
    If BB had chosen Android, they would have had a number of competitive advantages over the other vendors.

Why would those 70 million buy the new BlackBerry Android instead of a different Android? I don't think using Android would make it any easier getting current customers to upgrade than BB10.

I don't know how security would be - it's still Android. I think Android is secure enough for most people, but a lot of CBers would disagree with a passion.

Sure.
    Thunderbuck and maddie1128 like this.
    07-12-13 01:51 PM
    Nothing incorrect in what he wrote.
    The truth is sometimes hard to accept or see - especially when the rose coloured glasses are on.

BlackBerry is in deep, deep trouble now. Enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists notwithstanding.
    Thumbs up I really didn't expect you to post this. (Yea not really)

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-12-13 01:55 PM

They would of died out sooner than HTC....

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-12-13 01:56 PM
    Why would those 70 million buy the new BlackBerry Android instead of a different Android? I don't think using Android would make it any easier getting current customers to upgrade than BB10.
    Because in that scenario BB would have skinned it to behave like BB users would expect. It's ridiculously easy to add a hub, for example. And of course, there wouldn't be the issue of apps anymore.

I don't know how security would be - it's still Android. I think Android is secure enough for most people, but a lot of CBers would disagree with a passion.
    BB would have had to fork it and fix it, to be sure. Other vendors have managed to obtain FIPs certification, and if someone like BB took the job seriously, it would be fixable.
    07-12-13 01:57 PM
    They would of died out sooner than HTC....
    Would have. Would have.

It's too early to call that race.
    bp3dots, web99, cwalt2166 and 3 others like this.
    07-12-13 02:02 PM
249 123 ...