05-26-20 11:25 AM
28 12
tools
    While pulling people away from older/used iPhones or Android somehow belongs to this strategy as well, I think it is about having products in each price segments without losing it's premium status.

Especially considering how many North Americans and Asians (and probably also from other continents) would simply think "Premium brand is better because it is delivering a better quality" .
    There was also a large portion of people still buying the iPhone 7 and 8 standard versions according to some data looking at the whole of 2019, so I think it was all enough for Apple to believe that there is a gap they need to fill.

Have a look at this 2019 device sales chart, both iPhone 7 and 8 in the top 10, so clearly there is an appetite for the SE and a large one at that.

If you have a look at a forum like MacRumours as an example there are people who STILL wanted an iPhone 8 before the SE 2020 was announced. A lot of people at MacuRumours who bought the iPhone SE 2020 are coming from old iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6S and iPhone 7, because Apple users have the luxury of keeping their phones longer and still receiving support.

There is a big enough market of people who simply do not care for Phablets, they buy a small iPhone and an iPad, their small iPhone is simply for calls, text and emails on the go while their iPad is what they use for Media, Web Browsing, Work etc...

Some people own both a iPhone XS Max or 11 Pro Max and a SE 2020 and use the SE 2020 as their phone when they are out while the Max iPhones are used at home, I’ve seen quite a bit of this in the forum.

Then there are those users who have kids and want their kids to have an iPhone but don’t want to give their kid a +$700 phone, these folks would often buy an older iPhone or a refurbed newer iPhone and give them to the kid, now the SE is here and they can simply buy their kid the SE on some basic network plan and not have to put much money down.

If find it super hilarious when people throw out general statements like “people want bigger screens” yet the sales of individual phones show that a huge portion of people actually buy these smaller older devices, so Apple’s decision to make the SE 2020 seems very smart and it seems to be working in places like China where they had been struggling for a little while.

It’s amazing to think the iPhone 7 was launched in 2016 and yet in 2019 people were still buying it in large numbers, that sends a big message. Apple have built quite a brand for that to happen. The SE 2020 is a long term strategy for Apple, they are getting people into the ecosystem at a low price and hooking them. Put this together with the Apple Watch Series 3 that is now going for $99-$199 on some deals and then the $250 iPad 10.2 which is available on some deals for as low as $130 for a brand new iPad, I am sure a whole lot of schools/colleges/universities and their students are going for these. The iPhone SE 2020 is slotting in perfectly amongst all these low cost Apple devices that get premium treatment like long term updates, high build quality and powerful hardware and get people hooked on to the ecosystem.

I got brought into the Apple ecosystem with iPads when I was in university, my father bought me a iPad 4 LTE, I watched my iPad 4 which I got in late 2012 just as it was released get updates from 2012 to 2016, in that time period I had 4 phones that got updates and lost update support. In 2016 I gave the iPad 4 to my little sister as she needed it for school and I already had an iPad Air 2 at the time, that continues to get updates as recently as this week so Apple has not given me a reason to switch at all, I am now waiting for my iPad Air 2 to lose support so I can have an excuse to get an iPad Pro 11inch, but Apple simply keeping updating this gosh darn thing! In 2019 I chose to switch my Phone and Watch to Apple as well and now I am going to be hanging on to both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and Series 3 Nike until Apple stop updating them. With that in mind I simply have no reason to buy new devices every year or 2 as the ones I have can go the distance for many years. I could probably keep my 11 Pro Max up until 2025/2026, that would be 1 phone for the whole of my early 30s and then get something new when I turn 36 or 37 cray-cray!
    Last edited by Tsepz_GP; 05-23-20 at 06:50 AM.
    05-23-20 06:29 AM
    The right hand scroll bar embedded in iOS 13 does not suit the small screen at all. It is too easy to invoke by accident. It should be optional. iPhone 6 users who upgrade may not like this feature.
    05-26-20 08:15 AM
    I got brought into the Apple ecosystem with iPads when I was in university, my father bought me a iPad 4 LTE, I watched my iPad 4 which I got in late 2012 just as it was released get updates from 2012 to 2016, in that time period I had 4 phones that got updates and lost update support. In 2016 I gave the iPad 4 to my little sister as she needed it for school and I already had an iPad Air 2 at the time, that continues to get updates as recently as this week so Apple has not given me a reason to switch at all, I am now waiting for my iPad Air 2 to lose support so I can have an excuse to get an iPad Pro 11inch, but Apple simply keeping updating this gosh darn thing! In 2019 I chose to switch my Phone and Watch to Apple as well and now I am going to be hanging on to both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and Series 3 Nike until Apple stop updating them. With that in mind I simply have no reason to buy new devices every year or 2 as the ones I have can go the distance for many years. I could probably keep my 11 Pro Max up until 2025/2026, that would be 1 phone for the whole of my early 30s and then get something new when I turn 36 or 37 cray-cray!
    Wife has a iPhone7 Max..... last year we talked about her waiting till this year to upgrade. But now she doesn't think she need to. And I'm not sure she is ready for a button-less phone. SE was interesting, as it brought back the button... but in the end, if she doesn't want to change and doesn't need too.....

Me I love gestures and no button.
    05-26-20 11:25 AM
28 12