BlackBerry Internet Service is the breathe and life of a BlackBerry device for consumers. As such, RIM constantly is working on improving it for the 53.09 Million email integrations globally and 33.4 Million total active subscribers, despite its archaic architecture. RIM looks to be pushing out BIS 4.1 along with the upcoming OS 7 devices. Back in March, we exclusively reported on RIM’s 2011 software roadmap, which included BIS 4.1 between July – September.

According to the slides, BIS 4.1 will be rolling out to Asia Pacific – September 10th, Europe – September 23rd, and North America – October 8th. BIS 4.1 feature enhancements include: improved email experience, inbox priming, account management updates (Security Wipe Email Control and SIM Swap Experience), QQ and 139.com email integration, carrier reporting, UI changes, and language support for Latvian and Lithuanian. Hit the break for a look at a more extended features overview from the BIS 4.1 slides.

Source: N4BB
    Last edited by rroyy; 07-08-11 at 02:40 PM.
    07-08-11 01:29 PM
    The message improvements should've already be here. Can't believe messages are still truncated.
    07-08-11 01:40 PM
    OMG LOOK at that!! 11MB truncating nice!

still wish I could control that and change it from 1MB to 11MB at my whim but I'll take the growth
    07-08-11 01:40 PM
    Still no calender sync for any other Email providers Than Google and no contact sync support for others than Google and Yahoo
    07-08-11 01:46 PM
    And still no native ActiveSync?

And none of these changes for the vast majority of BB users who don't have and will probably never get OS 7?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-11 02:20 PM
    Finally some much-needed good news, and people are still b!tching.

07-08-11 02:30 PM
    Still no calender sync for any other Email providers Than Google and no contact sync support for others than Google and Yahoo
    Hotmail/live.com supports contacts sync too already, might just be OS6 though, I'm not sure if OS5 can sync

07-08-11 02:44 PM
    wow Lak611 is love the fixing of truncated emails!
    07-08-11 03:41 PM
    It's about time they increased the limit for truncated e-mails.
    07-08-11 04:06 PM
    They should have increased the attachment size to at least 20 MB.

They also should allow a user to compose an email in HTML format. Plain-text is so 1995.
    07-08-11 04:35 PM
    And still no native ActiveSync?

And none of these changes for the vast majority of BB users who don't have and will probably never get OS 7?

If you read closely, it says the additions regarding truncated emails are TBD for pre-BB7 devices, that doesn't mean they WON'T get them, still being determined.
    The rest of the changes are for all devices.
    07-08-11 04:41 PM
    holy **** i never though i would see the day...welcome to 3 years ago RIM but i am glad to see it that is for sure
    07-08-11 04:42 PM
    No more truncated email? Yes Please! That bump in attachment download limit is a welcomed benefit as well.
    07-08-11 04:43 PM
    I agree, I am loving what everyone else who enjoyed in this news. Although I won't be due for an upgrade for OS7...
    07-08-11 05:13 PM
    If you read closely, it says the additions regarding truncated emails are TBD for pre-BB7 devices, that doesn't mean they WON'T get them, still being determined.
    The rest of the changes are for all devices.
    I guess you're right about that. I just don't understand why increasing the truncation limit wasn't prioritized to the OS versions that are actually in use right now considering that's the biggest gripe and has been for quite a few years now.

And yes I'm complaining about it. I've been using the BIS since 2007 when it was still at 2.x. I have 2 email accounts that I've used in all that time. My home pop3 account and office exchange account. With all the updates to BIS since then, only 2 have been a plus for me. Html email and the automated login.

That's it.

All the ballyhooed gmail hotmail/live stuff means nothing to me since I don't do, nor will I ever do gmail or hotmail.

07-08-11 06:11 PM
    I'm surprised and glad they're addressing the issue about interrupted e-mail delivery when swapping SIMs abroad. Happens to me a lot when I switch carriers abroad, I have to re-register my e-mails on the new carrier abroad and it's a hassle because then my PIN gets stuck to that provider, so in order to avoid that I use web e-mail on the browser or use third-party mail apps.
    07-08-11 06:45 PM
    They should have increased the attachment size to at least 20 MB.

They also should allow a user to compose an email in HTML format. Plain-text is so 1995.
    My work email with Exchange server also has an 11MB limit for attachments...there's got to be a reason for that coincidence.
    07-08-11 09:00 PM
    Google contact sync doesn't currently work properly. The calendar sync is nice though.
    07-08-11 09:31 PM
    Finally some much-needed good news, and people are still b!tching.

I guess people can't believe it took RIM this long to fix such obivious problems. Still at least they are finally fixing them. I would rather see them invest in fixing BIS than in QNX handsets or he Playbook.
    07-08-11 09:41 PM
    How about actual 2-way sync for gmail. I can't believe that we still don't have that.
    07-08-11 11:50 PM
    Google contact sync doesn't currently work properly. The calendar sync is nice though.
    I've used Google Sync ever since the 8330 and I've transferred device using it twice, and it has worked fine for me. I keep it updated as a backup-backup.

07-09-11 12:07 AM
    How about actual 2-way sync for gmail. I can't believe that we still don't have that.
    We do, it's just very slow for read and deleted emalis from Gmail to BB, sent emails, new contacts and new calendars sync from Gmail to BB faster.

07-09-11 02:33 AM
    At the moment the following Email reconciliation features are supported. Imho RIM should expand these features as fast as possible.

KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service
    07-09-11 03:55 AM
    I've used Google Sync ever since the 8330 and I've transferred device using it twice, and it has worked fine for me. I keep it updated as a backup-backup.

I am talking about BIS based contact sync which wasn't available with the 8330 when launched. That said, I don't think the Google Sync app is that good but it is not completely broken like BIS sync.

07-09-11 06:10 PM
    bis sync never worked for me. I converted to google sync when i got my Incredible and it does the job most times but its not instant and doesnt work flawlessly either
    K Bear likes this.
    07-09-11 06:18 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD