Here in Scandinavia I cannot find a Blackberry Passport for either love or money, they simply aren't in the stores. There are tons of Android, Apple and unsellable Windows Phone but no Blackberry at all. It seems like non-American operating systems are not allowed at all. Nokia Symbian and Meego major operation to remove them, BB10 phones are rare. If they were hard to sell, they would flood the stores instead like Windows Phone. That leaves my suspicion that Blackberry is "market controlled away", not reaching potential customers. Like I'm forced to buy an Android, Apple or Windows Phone. How is the availability in your country? Do you think that Blackberry is being worked against by media and people who control the market?
    Blackerthanblack likes this.
    11-25-14 04:32 PM
    Same in the UK. Non existent

? Z10
    11-25-14 05:42 PM
    Well, even in countries closer to USA (Latin American, specially) it is impossible to find a BB10 phone. In all Costa Rica, there is only a Blackberry store, but with the taxes, you can find a Z10 in $400 (without contract) and a Q10 in almost $500.

But I could explain to you a reason why this difficulty to find BB phones. Touchscreens created an idea of "QWERTY keyboards are obsolete" and people still think Blackberry is dead (once I asked my father what he thinks about Blackberry and well, he asked me if these phones were still being produced). QWERTY phones are often those Symbian S40 Nokias, Alcatel "old" models and chinese brands. And even if you wish to find an old Blackberry, a thorough and deep search on the web is required.

That's why (IMO) Android, Apple and Windows Phone are dominating. I don't like Android as a phone, because in any chance it will get unstable or laggy and when you most need it, it will fail totally. Apple, as everybody knows, sells overpriced phones, maybe more stable than Android, but still the same thing. Windows Phone will never be my option personally, because the interface is just disgusting. BB's only flaw is the lack of support for some useful apps (Like Telegram, Slack for my case). The rest is almost amazing.
    11-25-14 05:42 PM
    In a recent interview, John Chen said that BB10 transition decreases income from service access fees and that he has to find new revenues to compensate. The interviewer asked him if this is the reason for keeping the Passport supplies low. The answer was "yes, one of the reasons".

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 05:57 PM
    Here in Scandinavia I cannot find a Blackberry Passport for either love or money, they simply aren't in the stores. There are tons of Android, Apple and unsellable Windows Phone but no Blackberry at all. It seems like non-American operating systems are not allowed at all. Nokia Symbian and Meego major operation to remove them, BB10 phones are rare. If they were hard to sell, they would flood the stores instead like Windows Phone. That leaves my suspicion that Blackberry is "market controlled away", not reaching potential customers. Like I'm forced to buy an Android, Apple or Windows Phone. How is the availability in your country? Do you think that Blackberry is being worked against by media and people who control the market?
    Over the years Blackberry have been shafted by optimism. They make x amount of devices based on what they think they'll sell then end up getting stuck with or giving away the remaining stock which is v expensive. They seem to have a policy these days of buying direct from BB, pre ordering or using certain suppliers. I would imagine it gives them better control over how many devices to make.
    11-25-14 05:57 PM
    Slack works on 10.3, tested on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 05:58 PM
    When I lived in Sweden I had to buy the 9900 online from France. Problem was I couldn't get BIS which made the phone less useful.
    Now of course OS10 makes it less troublesome to get and use BlackBerry unlocked from an online supplier.
    My brother in Denmark really wants a BlackBerry and he is soooo tired of his iPhone but it's like you say nearly impossible.

From my mighty PassPort
    11-25-14 06:10 PM
    How many phones would all of you like ?
    I'll make a bulk buy. Ship them to you by Canada Posts. Problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-14 06:13 PM
    How much data and calls can you do with these phones The point is a lot of people want a free device with a contract but mobile providers don't really stock them. Forces some people to have to buy outright, some can some can't so they will take path of least resistance and just opt for Apple or Droid.
    11-25-14 06:54 PM
    There's no conspiracy to block or inhibit sales. It's just that nobody is willing to stock a product unless they know they're going to sell reliably. A store will rarely order a few at a time as needed because it isn't cost efficient. They want to order in bulk. Especially if there are Minimum Order provisions.

It's not a conspiracy. It's simple economics.

Penned via Tapatalk
    11-25-14 07:01 PM
    I had to search very hard to buy my current Blackberry here in the USA. So glad the Classic is out in less than a month, looking forward to my pre-order.
    11-26-14 07:04 AM
    Do we really need another thread full of indefensible speculations? Seems like a minority of people has a clue of business processes and market forces here.

There is no shady entity, nor any conspiracy needed to come to the current situation. There's simply not enough demand for BlackBerry to keep a lot of inventory in a local store.

Additionally, dedicated stores like in the UAE (direct distribution) are very expensive to maintain. Same goes for corner stores. BlackBerry might want to keep their conservative approach when it comes to production and distribution.

And we can't forget that Google, Apple and Microsoft are major players in the industry. Apple sells 10Mio devices in the first weekend of sales. That's what is a demand and carriers of course find some security in that. They will be even more reluctant after the catastrophic sales of the first set of BB10 devices.

Another reason is that BlackBerry has clearly shown to focus on business customers now. A lot of carriers internationally offer the Passport or the Classic only to business customers. Those are different distribution channels.

After all, this is an absolutely natural thing to happen, if you have an understanding of economics.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-26-14 07:20 AM
    The masses are not allowed to use BlackBerry: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...kberry-974085/
    11-26-14 08:08 AM
    There's no conspiracy to block or inhibit sales. It's just that nobody is willing to stock a product unless they know they're going to sell reliably. A store will rarely order a few at a time as needed because it isn't cost efficient. They want to order in bulk. Especially if there are Minimum Order provisions.

It's not a conspiracy. It's simple economics.
    Well, economics 101 says that there should not be any Windows Phone in stock either but in this case they are very easily obtained and the stocks are full of them. I definitely think that there is some market share agreement here and that isn't uncommon in either.
    AWB70 likes this.
    11-26-14 02:29 PM
    Well, economics 101 says that there should not be any Windows Phone in stock either but in this case they are very easily obtained and the stocks are full of them. I definitely think that there is some market share agreement here and that isn't uncommon in either.
    Windows phone sales are much better than BB10 phones. The Lumia series alone are selling 9 million per quarter. That series alone is selling what BBOS and BB10 combined sell all year. And that's just one series of phones from one manufacturer.

So no, economics 101 wouldn't say that about Windows phones. Their demand is better, as well Microsoft gives incentives to keep them in stock.

Penned via Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4 and ReneV like this.
    11-26-14 02:41 PM
    Well, economics 101 says that there should not be any Windows Phone in stock either but in this case they are very easily obtained and the stocks are full of them.
    Windows Phone is relatively popular in Europe. Are you seeing the Nokia Lumia line or Microsoft Lumia? Or some other manufacturer?
    11-26-14 02:43 PM
    Retailers there are probably very reluctant to carry a device with a mobile OS that's captured 1% of the market. Especially with the worldwide Z10 stock fiasco from 2013.
    11-26-14 02:45 PM
    Economics 101 says that? Really? I'd like to see your basis.
    11-26-14 02:47 PM
    Windows phone sales are much better than BB10 phones. The Lumia series alone are selling 9 million per quarter. That series alone is selling what BBOS and BB10 combined sell all year. And that's just one series of phones from one manufacturer.

So no, economics 101 wouldn't say that about Windows phones. Their demand is better, as well Microsoft gives incentives to keep them in stock.
    No, the Windows phone devices flooded the stocks from the very beginning (meaning Windows Phone had 0% market share). The phones were quickly available. They didn't sell well in the beginning and the stocks were full of them. Today Windows Phone sell better but the stocks are just as saturated with them.

What I'm trying to point out that it was a forced saturation of the Windows Phone devices, while we see the exact opposite with Blackberries.
    11-26-14 02:56 PM
    No, the Windows phone devices flooded the stocks from the very beginning (meaning Windows Phone had 0% market share). The phones were quickly available. They didn't sell well in the beginning but the stocks were full of them.

What I'm trying to point out that it was a forced saturation of the Windows Phone devices, while we see the exact opposite with Blackberries.
    Windows phones were never really 0% market share as pertains to this discussion. Their first phones came out around the same time Palm and BB were first making smartphones.

They fell very low for a while, but they've never flooded the stocks from the very beginning. Heck, just 2 years ago, if you walked into a store looking for a WP device, the model you're looking for could very well be out of stock and you'd have to wait while your local store ordered one for you. Windows phone climbed tooth and nail out of that hole. Yet never was there any "it's a conspiracy" allegations (which Microsoft would not be above claiming if they believed it to be true).

Penned via Tapatalk
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-26-14 03:05 PM
    You're in Scandinavia, and you can't get or don't mention Jolla... :-) ?

http://jolla.com/

Sure, Apple and others are using their power and money to keep smaller competitors out. Couple that with BlackBerry's limited resources, the general consumer preferences (as a result of marketing efforts and peer influences, + apps), sales people's attitude (commissions/incentives, fanboyism) and unwillingness of carriers and stores to stock & sell products perceived as "unpopular" or "hard to sell" and you have enough reasons.

We don't even need to speculate whether gov'ts like phones that make surveillance and tracking / hacking much easier, but I wouldn't completely rule that out either, ... ;-) LOL...

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    mister2d likes this.
    11-26-14 03:21 PM
    You're in Scandinavia, and you can't get or don't mention Jolla... :-) ?

Jolla - We are unlike
    I've never seen a Jolla in a store but they decided to only sell through their own online store. That decision is official.
    11-26-14 04:52 PM
    Windows Phone is relatively popular in Europe. Are you seeing the Nokia Lumia line or Microsoft Lumia? Or some other manufacturer?
    Still waiting for an answer to this question. Perhaps the OP made a false claim?
    11-27-14 12:10 PM
    BTW the original first google Nexus phone was only available online. Google just found the right time to publish a new mobile OS. BlackBerry still thought BBOS7 is good enough back then, which proved to be very wrong.
    Even Microsoft was late, but they have the financial assets to push something into the market forcefully.
    11-27-14 12:18 PM
    EBay and amazon ships worldwide last time I checked. So does bb.com

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    11-27-14 12:31 PM
41 12