Blackberry in trouble again over security issues in India.

Over 1 million BB users in India.

The Hindu : Front Page : BlackBerry: India may bar RIM if it fails to act

BlackBerry sayswill not let India monitor messages - Yahoo! News

This time this is a very serious Matter.
    08-06-10 03:08 AM
    Title should read: RIM committing to protect your privacy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 06:41 AM
    Title should read: RIM committing to protect your privacy.

And thus allow the terrorists and fugitives to take advantage of the technology???!!! Already forgot 9/11 ?? India, US and Israel are all very vulnerable. What India is asking is nothing more what RIM is already sharing with the FBI!
    08-06-10 08:55 AM
    And thus allow the terrorists and fugitives to take advantage of the technology???!!! Already forgot 9/11 ?? India, US and Israel are all very vulnerable. What India is asking is nothing more what RIM is already sharing with the FBI!
    Do you have some facts to back how exactly RIM is giving up the data?

If the FBI is getting info why would it be necessary for India to even ask? It should just be available from RIM, right?

I do not condone the wholesale way the government is collecting data, there is no balancing oversight.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    08-06-10 10:09 AM
    It is been said that RIM is sharing "So called Info" with some governments like U.S. and China. Then why not India and countries like U.A.E. and Saudi Arabia ??

After 9/11 in U.S. and 26/11 in Mumbai and several other painful incidents all over world, I feel National security is most important than Individual privacy.
    08-06-10 10:53 AM
    It is been said that RIM is sharing "So called Info" with some governments like U.S. and China. Then why not India and countries like U.A.E. and Saudi Arabia ??

After 9/11 in U.S. and 26/11 in Mumbai and several other painful incidents all over world, I feel National security is most important than Individual privacy.
    National security is important, but the rights of individuals have to be upheld. Due process has to be enforced.
    08-06-10 10:59 AM
    How it is possible in country like India which is so over populated ?? please tell me. Only for some “precious” “Individuals” like you and me can government take that risk ?? I don’t feel so and I think government should not.

And then nobody knows which “Individual” is threat to the society unless he / she takes toll on some innocent lives.
    08-06-10 11:19 AM
    National security is important, but the rights of individuals have to be upheld. Due process has to be enforced.
    QFT.

Well said.
    08-06-10 11:21 AM
    I'd like to see how long RIM holds out.

08-06-10 11:25 AM
    +10 people so quickly forget about 9/11. But right when something goes wrong we could have stopped they yell gov. How come you failed us...........well a holes when we asked to minutes bbm you said NO and now the whole darn cell is operating on it.
    08-07-10 08:16 AM
    you guys are all a joke. you actually think that the us government is not getting the data from RIM? ROFLMAOOOO. The us government we are talking about here. I guarantee you 100% i would bet my life that they are getting the data.

so now saudi arabia and all the other countries want the same thing.
    08-07-10 08:59 AM
    So, IF the Indian govt. were to have access to the Encrypted messages, it would be able to foil terrorist attempts. That's what you are saying, right?

Well, terrorists walked in to the Indian parliament and attempted to blow up the place. They didn't need BlackBerrys to do that. They still managed to get in!

The not so long ago incident.. Kasab and his friends entering India from the sea route and walking through the city with guns and ammo... no BlackBerry needed for that either! and they did manage to do it rather effectively. The mode of communication they were using were Satellite phones.

I am not saying I have anything (much) to hide, I am just saying that I would be uncomfortable knowing that the someone can snoop and sniff through my stuff.

Of course, eventually some middle ground would be reached and a compromise will be effected. RIM giving away some info. Countries settling for it with a promise of more continued cooperation and all that...

BUT the tone some people are using.. it's equivalent to saying that the Patriot Act was / is a good thing (it's not!). It's Watergate on a national level!

For those of you who seriously believe that BlackBerry's encryption is a Security Threat for India.. - may I draw your attention to a recent headline:

Idea issued 3,640 connections to one person (will post the link, in my next post... need to be 10 posts old before I can put up links)

Dikhaawon pe mat jaao. Apni akal ladaao.
    08-07-10 11:41 PM
    Here is the link to the Idea news. :

Idea issued 3,640 connections to one person)
    08-07-10 11:42 PM
    Patriot Act ??

You know I was there Mumbai when 26/11 happened. I was there for a week from 23rd to 1st. Though I was safe in other part of Mumbai, I have gone through the horrible atmosphere. It was really shattering to see how people were scared. Where it used to take 1 and 1/2 hour minimum to travel to my office from my guest house, in that horrible week, I was reaching my office in only 20 minutes !! People were really scared. There were no traffic jams in the city.

We all know India needs lots n lots of systems to secure itself. What Govt is asking RIM is one of the measures to tighten the communication loopholes.

Today’s local newspapers in my city says over 82% people would not mind if Govt is intercepting their personal e-mails and messages for security reasons. I don’t think this ratio would differ nationally. And I don’t think it is a Patriot Act. It is a normal minimal help anyone could do to avoid unnecessary toll of innocents.
    Last edited by nfsw; 08-08-10 at 05:44 AM.
    08-08-10 03:11 AM
    Well, when 9/11 happened, no body had a problem with the Patriot Act either.
    They were more than happy to share the info.

Look at it, today!
    08-08-10 05:40 AM
    That said, it's not like OTHER devices or networks are not being sniffed and snooped. They are.

If the BlackBerry falls into that category as well.. it wouldn't be the end of the world.
    08-08-10 05:41 AM
    The way to deal with TERRORISM is not snooping and sniffing communications.

Stop giving 5 star treatment to Salem / Kasab / Afzal and the likes.
    Bloody **** - it takes them ages to pass a sentence. Lets not even get into how long it takes them to actually get over with the legal proceedings.
    If there is a bloody encounter, then everyone is making noise.

SHOULDN'T THESE be given importance, as opposed to sniffing communications?
    08-08-10 05:46 AM
    Been to an International Airport in India?

The security is a joke!
    At the entrance of the Airport, all the guy wants to check is if I have a printout of the e-ticket with me or not.
    Not even a bloody metal detector!!

The only time I pass through a metal detector at the Bombay airport is when I have done my immigration and proceeding towards the security check.

At the entrance, the 'SECURITY' guys just want to check if I have my e-ticket printout or not! (beats the entire concept of an E-ticket).

Now.. THOSE things can be addressed right away..RIGHT? you don't need any other party to come in and approve putting up a metal detector at the entrance of the airport, right?

Wo to hota nahin hai.. and here they are yapping away about BlackBerry being a security risk!
    08-08-10 05:49 AM
    The fact remains, if they WERE serious about any THREATS to national security, they would be doing something more tangible, as opposed to yelping 'I WANT ACCESS TO YOUR SUBSCRIBERS EMAILS'.

Socho to kehne ko bahut kuch hai.....
    SAMJHO .. to kehne ko kuch bhi nahin.
    08-08-10 05:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD