Yahoo gives push email and IMAP folders on my Blackberry, it seems that others are recommending LogicMail for the same thing on Blackberry. If these DID NOT give push email and IMAP folders on Blackberry, then you could claim that RIM devices do not have the capability, but they DO.
    The iPhone supports EAS and IMAP for any provider, not just Yahoo.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 05:21 PM
    The iPhone supports EAS and IMAP for any provider, not just Yahoo.

I understand. But I don't care to own an IPhone. To each his own.

07-31-11 06:18 PM
    Nobody is suggesting that you get an iPhone. All we're saying is that having a feature like IMAP support on BB can only be a good thing for the platform and consumers.

Going back to a previous point:

Indeed, there is of course no single ideal phone for everyone. However, as time passes each platform will get closer to that ultimate device - by not only creating their own innovations but also by copying their competitors' key features e.g. iMessage and notifications on iOS which will soon be released on iOS - and knowing Apple probably be an improvement on the existing systems.

I am not here to trash BlackBerries - in fact I have been a fierce defender of them against most of my friends and colleagues who have switched. As mentioned previously, I am keen to return to BB when the new OS7 or QNX devices are released.

I think it's important that RIM aren't too arrogant to see that there are improvements that can be made to their legendary email system, whether this be by innovation or mimicking others' platforms. For if they don't, the other platforms certainly will and leave BB even further behind.
    07-31-11 06:39 PM
    I will stay with BlackBerry and Yahoo email. No matter whatever the other platforms have. I am very happy with what BlackBerry does.

07-31-11 06:50 PM
    I think it's important that RIM aren't too arrogant to see that there are improvements that can be made to their legendary email system, whether this be by innovation or mimicking others' platforms. For if they don't, the other platforms certainly will and leave BB even further behind.
    I think the real problem here is that RIM's "legendary email system" is basically the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). This is what people have traditionally bought BlackBerry devices to get access to. In comparison, BIS (what most of us have) feels like a second-class hack of a solution that was probably "good enough" when it was introduced. Today, its marginally better for a few choice providers (with special relationships with RIM), and just as pathetic for the rest of us.

That being said, if BES could run on a Solaris or Linux server, and could plug into the Cyrus or Dovecot IMAP servers (and not just Exchange or Groupwise on Windows), there's a good chance that I'd be using it right now. (I know Zimbra has created a BES connector hack, but its not the most lightweight of options.) Of course of BES could run against any IMAP server/account, via the IMAP protocol (not as a plugin to the server's back-end), I'd also probably be running it right now.

"Poll my INBOX every 15 minutes and forward new messages" is not, and never has been, what I actually want as an end-user.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-31-11 08:53 PM
    I am not on BES, and my Yahoo email is delivered to my BB in one minute of hitting the send button. Not 15 minutes.

I wonder why other people don't use Yahoo, but its their choice, I guess.

07-31-11 09:08 PM
    I am not on BES, and my Yahoo email is delivered to my BB in one minute of hitting the send button. Not 15 minutes.

I wonder why other people don't use Yahoo, but its their choice, I guess.

Yes, Yahoo and Google are the providers they have a "special" relationship with. Sucks to be with any other service.

(And for what its worth, Yahoo's IMAP implementation is kinda broken and in violation of the spec, so they have to at least do something custom there.)
    07-31-11 09:21 PM
    It works, so keep violating whatever spec, I guess.

07-31-11 09:30 PM
    Even if some email accounts have 15 minutes delay, it is still push email, it's the NOC that chacks for new email every 15 minutes and if it finds new ones it will push them to the device.

08-01-11 02:20 AM
    It works, so keep violating whatever spec, I guess.
    Actually, it didn't used to work. Just do a Google search, and you'll see whole threads about how E-Mail clients required special patches just to be able to talk to Yahoo via IMAP. (They normally just provided POP to most people.) Thankfully, the current issues appear mostly fixed (doesn't need special login commands anymore, and doesn't seem to be sending you lots of data you didn't ask for anymore and racking up your data charges). The only big one left is Yahoo erroneously inserting line-breaks into long subject lines in a way that violates the protocol spec (when checked via IMAP, so you probably didn't notice if your client has a workaround for this).
    08-01-11 04:46 AM
    Actually, it didn't used to work. Just do a Google search, and you'll see whole threads about how E-Mail clients required special patches just to be able to talk to Yahoo via IMAP. (They normally just provided POP to most people.) Thankfully, the current issues appear mostly fixed (doesn't need special login commands anymore, and doesn't seem to be sending you lots of data you didn't ask for anymore and racking up your data charges). The only big one left is Yahoo erroneously inserting line-breaks into long subject lines in a way that violates the protocol spec (when checked via IMAP, so you probably didn't notice if your client has a workaround for this).
    I stopped using yahoo because they refused to provide IMAP access to my email.
    08-01-11 05:58 AM
    I stopped using yahoo because they refused to provide IMAP access to my email.
    Actually you probably refused to pay for the imap/no adds version.

08-01-11 06:06 AM
    Actually you probably refused to pay for the imap/no adds version.

I was paying for the premium version and all I was getting was email forwarding and POP access. I started forwarding to gmail where I got free IMAP and POP access and eventually just pointed my MX records there.

Gmail now provides EAS access and has BIS support which appears to be as good as yahoo's (or better).

08-01-11 06:43 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD