Do you guys remember Microsoft's Note concept? It was a horizontally folding tablet.

I was thinking to myself that I love the Passport in use, but hate the awkwardness of carrying it around. So I got to thinking...

Perhaps there is a way to design a wide phone that folds into a pocket-friendly formfactor.

Bendable screens will make this easier to accomplish in the future, but for now, I was wondering if anyone wanted to mock up a horizontally folding phone that could be manufactured today.

Maybe even with square or sideways 4x3 continuous, bendable screen (as this tech will be available in the nearish future, though the screen might have to be slightly separate from the body and nest in a cutout when closed), but with regular hinges and a folding keyboard. When it's folded, it's the size of a Z10 or smaller.

Just an idea. Might make for a cool concept if someone has the time to expand or make a mock-up

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 12:11 PM
    Do you guys remember Microsoft's Note concept? It was a horizontally folding tablet.

I was thinking to myself that I love the Passport in use, but hate the awkwardness of carrying it around. So I got to thinking...

Perhaps there is a way to design a wide phone that folds into a pocket-friendly formfactor.

Bendable screens will make this easier to accomplish in the future, but for now, I was wondering if anyone wanted to mock up a horizontally folding phone that could be manufactured today.

Maybe even with square or sideways 4x3 continuous, bendable screen (as this tech will be available in the nearish future, though the screen might have to be slightly separate from the body and nest in a cutout when closed), but with regular hinges and a folding keyboard. When it's folded, it's the size of a Z10 or smaller.

Just an idea. Might make for a cool concept if someone has the time to expand or make a mock-up

Posted via CB10
    Wow!!!!

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 01:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Before the engineers and designers begin to work on it they may need this
    Blackberry Horizontal Folder-agung-coloured-bong.jpg

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    05-29-15 02:17 PM
    When it's folded, it's the size of a Z10 or smaller.
    Posted via CB10
    Maybe like this? did that a year ago!

Blackberry Horizontal Folder-z-ultimate-01.jpg
    Mamaluka likes this.
    05-29-15 03:11 PM
    Maybe like this? did that a year ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Z-Ultimate-01.jpg 
Views:	1495 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	355095
    That's not too far off what I had in mind. Perhaps a simpler face when closed...Maybe an e-ink screen, narrower when closed, with a continuous screen when opened. Keyboard or no keyboard.

But yeah, something like that. Ha.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 03:27 PM
    3 screens in one device?? Woah.... this concept will need some kind of MEGA sized battery to power it up!!
    05-30-15 02:23 AM
    3 screens in one device?? Woah.... this concept will need some kind of MEGA sized battery to power it up!!
    Two screens is more what I was thinking. One bendable screen and one E-ink. Seems doable.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 08:07 AM
    How about a Q10 that folds out on both sides to reveal a 16:9 screen, with a kickstand of course.

That's be cool, especially if the bendable screen rolled up into the body when the supports moved in/out

BB for Life
    06-09-15 04:15 PM