Wow!

I had to pair my device with my GF's phone, then I had to set her phone to "Receive bluetooth file" mode, then send the file from my bluetooth.

Not bein an ******* but its much simpler on a Nokia or other phone! sheeeeeesh

Id rather send the file as an attachment in an email
    08-29-10 02:31 PM
    I'm not sure aboiut the worst bluetooth but is is certainly the most secure and that is what got you.
    08-29-10 02:46 PM
    Actually the Bluetooth is very good on 9700, just few extra steps needed to send/receive files for security reason. But it works with all my gadgets.
    08-29-10 03:17 PM
    Never had any problems with mine.
    08-29-10 04:34 PM
    Try the iPhone, I could not send songs from my 9700 to it... crappy on the iPhone's part for sure...
    08-29-10 04:52 PM
    Yeah, I tried to send a video to a friend (he has an iphone) via bluetooth, but I forget if he couldn't accept or if the file was too large.

I'd rather go through the extra steps than have someone hack my phone via bluetooth. I still wish there was an option to browse files via bt though, as long as there are security steps. I remember seeing that on a Nokia six or so years ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 05:43 PM
    I can use my keyboard and headset at the same time. It does not miss a beat.
    08-29-10 05:58 PM
    Have you ever tried to send MP3 Ring tones to an iPhone by bluetooth.. Wait, you can't.

Regardless, BlackBerry's have the best bluetooth radio I've used. Just because you have to tell it to receive a file does not mean the bluetooth is bad, just more secure.

As for the quality of the Bluetooth, I'm sitting here streaming music from my blackberry's media card by bluetooth to my windows 7 PC, and even able to control the playback (Stop, skip, repeat...) all from my PC while my BB is sitting in my pocket.

And, if the future Mrs. Calls, the music stops, and my laptop suddenly becomes a speakerphone using the speakers and the mic from the builtin webcam.... NEVER had another phone do that by bluetooth... at least not without a headache to set up. All I had to do was pair my BB to my Laptop and BINGO!

So, how does SECURITY to receive files, and possibly prevent someone from STEALING YOUR IDENTITY (Check this tool out if you think the security is "Excessive" Bluetooth hacking continues ~ ACTIVE HACKERS) make the Bluetooth Suck??
    08-29-10 06:21 PM
    I love my motorola H700, it takes calls, doesn't play music through it. My plantronics P590 is my stereo bluetooth headset. It plays music, controls the phone or device it's paired to, or the device controls it.

Never had any issues except for the obvious slight "pop click pop" that sometimes cuts between it.

That's just interference.

08-29-10 06:46 PM
    Actually the Bluetooth is very good on 9700, just few extra steps needed to send/receive files for security reason. But it works with all my gadgets.
    Hello,
    How to send a file from 9700 to other bluetooth device?
    Which service needs to be enabled on phone or laptop?
    09-01-10 07:55 AM
    No problems with bluetooth on my 9700 here, works flawlessley. I would love to send files via bluetooth from my phone to my Ipod Touch but the iBlueNova that enables this feature doesn't work very well if it works at all. Why couldn't apple just make it standard on those devices.
    09-01-10 09:08 AM
    Why couldn't apple just make it standard on those devices.
    Apple refuses to do anything "STANDARD" - remember their whole "THINK DIFFERENT" mantra??

I think that whole "THINK DIFFERENT" ideology is ironic considering the iPod and the iPhone have become such symbols of CONFORMITY!!

"Think Different... Buy an iPod, iPad and iPhone just like everybody else!!"

EDIT TO CORRECT BAD SPELLING... Said spelling has been punished for it's behavior, and is in timeout!
    09-01-10 10:59 AM
    I haven't been able to get the Bluetooth on the BB to work with the Bluetooth on my Windows Vista 64 computer. Sometimes it works, 80% of the times it doesn't. It really is a pain sometimes just to send a pic across.
    09-01-10 11:15 AM
    Wow!

I had to pair my device with my GF's phone, then I had to set her phone to "Receive bluetooth file" mode, then send the file from my bluetooth.

Not bein an ******* but its much simpler on a Nokia or other phone! sheeeeeesh

Id rather send the file as an attachment in an email
    I agree that the bluetooth on the BB is a more cumbersome process to go through, as is EVERYTHING on BlackBerrys, but it still works just the same, in my experience. I've done file transfers with my Mac laptop and Samsung Vibrant.
    09-01-10 01:51 PM
    Funny, I don't find the bluetooth cumbersome or bad in any way. Mines synced to my truck and took all of 30 seconds for initial setup. I actually don't find anything cumbersome on the bb.

09-01-10 02:27 PM
    I haven't been able to get the Bluetooth on the BB to work with the Bluetooth on my Windows Vista 64 computer. Sometimes it works, 80% of the times it doesn't. It really is a pain sometimes just to send a pic across.
    I would check for an update to your Bluetooth drivers in Windows Vista.
    09-01-10 02:37 PM
    Funny, I don't find the bluetooth cumbersome or bad in any way. Mines synced to my truck and took all of 30 seconds for initial setup. I actually don't find anything cumbersome on the bb.

... for audio purposes, no, there isn't, but this whole thread, as directed by the OP, is about the file transferring aspect of bluetooth. that was where my comment was aimed, and i stick to it. sending files was typical, but receiving was ridiculously and unnecessarily rubix-cubed, as is everything else blackberry, other than making calls. with BB there's always an extra button you've got to press, or an extra step or two you have to take to do the something simple. i find it absurd, but at the same time, i'm still content with the device, because, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. still, big deal or not, i can completely understand someone not being okay with it.
    09-01-10 02:59 PM
    My BT has worked without flaw on my 9700. In fact most of my BB devices have had excellent BT so it maybe is just you.
    09-01-10 04:56 PM
    ... for audio purposes, no, there isn't, but this whole thread, as directed by the OP, is about the file transferring aspect of bluetooth. that was where my comment was aimed, and i stick to it. sending files was typical, but receiving was ridiculously and unnecessarily rubix-cubed, as is everything else blackberry, other than making calls. with BB there's always an extra button you've got to press, or an extra step or two you have to take to do the something simple. i find it absurd, but at the same time, i'm still content with the device, because, in the grand scheme of things, it's really not that big of a deal. still, big deal or not, i can completely understand someone not being okay with it.
    Actually, while it may involve all the effort of going into the media app and selecting "Receive file by bluetooth" it's much better than phones that sit there, with the Bluetooth radio on, draining the battery listening on the stray chance someone might send a file that way.

That's on top of the added security of the device not listening for stray Bluetooth connections.

And, it's not like you have to do it for each file. Let's say I want to send a dozen wallpapers from my PC to my BB. I select them all, chose SEND TO BLUETOOTH DEVICE, then tell my BB to listen for it. All 12 files come over in one transfer. I just have to OK on where to save each one.
    09-01-10 07:20 PM
    Actually, while it may involve all the effort of going into the media app and selecting "Receive file by bluetooth" it's much better than phones that sit there, with the Bluetooth radio on, draining the battery listening on the stray chance someone might send a file that way.

That's on top of the added security of the device not listening for stray Bluetooth connections.

And, it's not like you have to do it for each file. Let's say I want to send a dozen wallpapers from my PC to my BB. I select them all, chose SEND TO BLUETOOTH DEVICE, then tell my BB to listen for it. All 12 files come over in one transfer. I just have to OK on where to save each one.
    Bluetooth is such a miniscule "drain" on batteries that your point is rendered rather pointless, in any rational one's eyes, but still, it is a point, about as much so as the extra steps that BlackBerrys require to use it, which the OP and I so pointed out. So... "toe-may-toe, toe-ma-toe", let's call the whole thing a draw, da?!?!? Also, when using BT for the purposes of file transfer, it's not being left on to "listen" for any longer than it takes to finish the exchange and during the exchange it can't be interrupted by any other device trying to pair, thus we hit yet another moot... yeah, think I've said that word enough here.
    09-01-10 08:09 PM
    Blackberry is not the only phone that requires this.

I've worked with several brands of phones that, to make them usable by Bluetooth, you have to activate it, and even then it only stays on for 30 or 45 seconds. It does not matter if the sending device is paired or not.

As for battery drain, even without it LISTENING for transfers all the time, the BT drain is enough that one of the #1 tips for ALL BB devices to improve battery life is TURN OFF THE BLUETOOTH when you are not using it. If it's as minuscule as you think, then why is that a top tip??
    And, that's without it listening.

Oh, and the Andriod devices that everyone complains about battery life on... turn the BT radio off on them and get another hour or so of run time.

That's my point.

I'll take the way that RIM has it set up over anyone else out there. I've had 4 BB's, all of them with BT and never ONCE had a problem pairing, synching, transferring files to/from them.
    Not like the nightmare my 2 Motorola phones Prior to going to a BB were!

And don't get me started on having to re-pair my Motorola BT headset to my Sony Ericcson phone if the battery on the headset ever died. And, I know it was the phone because, I continued to use that headset with my first BB and never had to pair it again, except for the one time I had to wipe and reload the BB without a good backup.
    09-01-10 08:27 PM
    Wolfman, the step "receive file using Bluetooth" to me is unnecessary and I don't buy into the idea that it increases security over Bluetooth files. Why?

1) You can hide your phone from being discovered from any unwanted devices that you haven't paired up with.
    2) Even if you have your phone discoverable by other devices, if they send you a file, it requires pairing the device by entering a numeric key for both devices OR you have to manually accept the file request.

Why then is it necessary for yet another step to "receive file using bluetooth"?
    09-01-10 10:38 PM
    wifi is a drain, a HUGE drain; bluetooth is a drip. that's a proven comparison, not a subjective theory. guy above me gets it. there's nothing more secure at all about the extra steps in BB... none what-so-ever.
    09-01-10 11:45 PM
    had a 8220 before in which i had replaced 3 times because the bluetooth radio kept failing. before switching devices i looked it up and found it was a common problem for berrys buetooth to crap out. So for all the people claiming how the bluetooth on a blackberry is the best thats bull
    09-02-10 04:46 AM
    It's just an unnecessary step. If you were prompted twice each time you were trying to delete an email, wouldn't that be pretty annoying? Click delete-prompt: 'Delete ok or cancel'-click delete-prompt: 'Are you sure you want to delete ok or cancel'-click delete. That's essentially what the additional "receive using Bluetooth" step is. Redundant and unnecessary, and pretty damn annoying I might add.

09-02-10 04:47 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD