WDS did another study on hardware failures, and the results were similar to last time. http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...issues-625502/

Android hardware fails more than iPhone, BlackBerry; repairs cost carriers $2 billion

Android at 14%

BlackBerry at 5.5%

iPhone at 8% (It doesn't say how much iPhone 4s plays a part in this study if any)

So yay!
    11-03-11 12:26 PM
    You wouldn't know it tho!
    BAM Market that!
    11-03-11 12:27 PM
    WDS did another study on hardware failures, and the results were similar to last time. http://forums.crackberry.com/forum-f...issues-625502/

Android hardware fails more than iPhone, BlackBerry; repairs cost carriers $2 billion

Android at 14%

BlackBerry at 5.5%

iPhone at 8% (It doesn't say how much iPhone 4s plays a part in this study if any)

So yay!
    Not to pee on anyone's parade but they sell alot more iPhones than BBs and as such it's only normal that there be more units that have defects that get through QC. It's a numbers game as well. And as for Android, it's not googles fault. They license the OS to anyone willing to pay and that means if the hardware companies are building sh*tty phones, that reflects on google. But it's the same for market share as well. It's not googles market share, it's the different hardware manufacturers market share but since it's androind OS they attribute it to google.

P.S. I have a 9900. Not trying to start any flaming. I'm just stating my opinion.
    11-03-11 12:33 PM
    Agreed these studies should be done by hardware manufacturer.
    11-03-11 12:50 PM
    It's a %, not a unit failure. It does imply that RIM makes the most reliable phones. Unfortunately it does not break out the Android brands so it's hard to tell if one or two of them are bringing down the average. Personally in 6 years, the worse problem I've had with any of my BB, including the Playbook, is the need to pull the battery or reset it - and I've beaten mine up pretty good.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-03-11 12:52 PM
    It's a %, not a unit failure. It does imply that RIM makes the most reliable phones. Unfortunately it does not break out the Android brands so it's hard to tell if one or two of them are bringing down the average. Personally in 6 years, the worse problem I've had with any of my BB, including the Playbook, is the need to pull the battery or reset it - and I've beaten mine up pretty good.
    My 8830 was driving me nust with that. especially hour glassing in the browser. I finally only backe dup my address book and wiped it and only restored my addy and it stopped doing that.

With my new 9900, I pulled the batt 2-3 times in the last 2 months. It mostly seems to happen when i install or delete a few apps at a time and not reboot after each install or delete.
    11-03-11 12:54 PM
    Not to pee on anyone's parade but they sell alot more iPhones than BBs and as such it's only normal that there be more units that have defects that get through QC. It's a numbers game as well. And as for Android, it's not googles fault. They license the OS to anyone willing to pay and that means if the hardware companies are building sh*tty phones, that reflects on google. But it's the same for market share as well. It's not googles market share, it's the different hardware manufacturers market share but since it's androind OS they attribute it to google.

P.S. I have a 9900. Not trying to start any flaming. I'm just stating my opinion.
    You're not flaming, you're just wrong. Building more units doesn't mean you're going to have a higher failure RATE.

Everyone has someone else build their products. It's up to the company with their brand name stamped on the device or software (whoever ultimately cares) to ensure their products come out at a certain quality level. However, you're right that Google/Android should not be included in the comparison, as they're not a hardware maker. The day Google builds or brands a phone, they're responsible. Until then, it should be Samsung, HTC, etc.
    11-03-11 02:12 PM
    Not to pee on anyone's parade but they sell alot more iPhones than BBs and as such it's only normal that there be more units that have defects that get through QC.
    But these are percentages, not raw numbers. Higher unit sales shouldn’t correlate to a higher failure percentage.

And as for Android, it's not googles fault. They license the OS to anyone willing to pay and that means if the hardware companies are building sh*tty phones, that reflects on google.
    I don’t think it matters whose fault it is. The fact that Google doesn’t manufacture hardware isn’t going to make people with malfunctioning Android devices feel any better. Fix the problem, not the blame.
    11-03-11 02:35 PM
    That article is very misleading.

The statistics (like many others) give the wrong impression.

14% of technical support calls on Android relate to hardware, versus 11% for Windows Phone, 7% for iOS and 6% for BlackBerry OS.
    This doesn't necessarily mean there was an actual problem. Besides, even if these numbers were relating to actual problems, it's hardware, not software. That could mean problems deriving from dropping the phone or water damage, etc... Even the people doing the study mention that...

Also, this is just a percentage of support calls relating to hardware problems. The numbers aren't referring to failure rates.
    11-03-11 02:52 PM
    That article is very misleading.

The statistics (like many others) give the wrong impression.

This doesn't necessarily mean there was an actual problem. Besides, even if these numbers were relating to actual problems, it's hardware, not software. That could mean problems deriving from dropping the phone or water damage, etc...
    This could just mean android devices are the most slippery of all!
    JR A likes this.
    11-03-11 02:54 PM
    LOL! I almost choked on my drink!
    11-03-11 03:08 PM
    I don't even understand why they are classifying "Android" in a hardware poll.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 03:18 PM
    LOL! I almost choked on my drink!
    We've all seen how sleek and slippery those android devices are! Not to mention how slipper the iPhone is as well! But sicne the BBs have buttons on them, they are almost like tire treads make them easier to hold onto!

OR

BB users are so attached to their devices they go running around all over the place like football players protecting the ball

OR

android crashes so much that users have a tendency to throw them at the wall?

Could be a number of reasons
    11-03-11 03:51 PM
    Very believable. Android and iphones don't look like their built to last. I mean the iphone is made out of glass literally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 04:39 PM

You are not only peeing on our parade, you're peeing on yourself too. It is % failure rate, not just actual raw numbers.
    The more devices you make the larger your QC department has to be. If your QC department is not proprtional to your manufacturing its a point AGAINST you, not in your favour.
    11-04-11 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD