Based on the latest Comscore figures, Blackberry is the 3rd smartphone platform and has a 7.3% market share in the U.S. which amounts to 9 Million subscribers (total Smartphone users in US: 123.3M)

Same report shows Windows Phone as having 3% market share which amounts to 3.7M subscribers and that is actually down from last year where Windows had 3.7%, even though they launched their Windows Phone 8 in November.

http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Pre...r_Market_Share
    simu31 and David in Durham like this.
    01-03-13 05:36 PM
    That's a lot more than "no one uses a BlackBerry anymore" that you see on a lot of the forums. :-)

The big thing for Windows Phone 8 will be the next Comscore, where we'll see if this big Microsoft/Nokia push paid off.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-03-13 05:38 PM
    interesting stat, quite higher than some make it out to seem.
    01-03-13 05:52 PM
    interesting stat, quite higher than some make it out to seem.
    It's because the press and the public routinely don't understand or accurately report what these studies are measuring.

For example, I often see references to RIM's "marketshare", but then the marketshare quote will neglect to mention US or global sales, currently active users vs. sales to new users in the most recent quarter. I even saw one recently on CNET that quoted 'web traffic' as marketshare.
    416to604 likes this.
    01-03-13 05:59 PM
    That's a lot more than "no one uses a BlackBerry anymore" that you see on a lot of the forums. :-)

The big thing for Windows Phone 8 will be the next Comscore, where we'll see if this big Microsoft/Nokia push paid off.
    or the the apparent less then 3% of BB subs in the USA
    01-03-13 06:00 PM
    I think most people see or report the share of new sales. That is where the 1.5-3% numbers we see comes from, new sales, not active subscribers. Now they need to add to that 9 million with new bb10 activations.
    01-03-13 06:08 PM
    I think most people see or report the share of new sales. That is where the 1.5-3% numbers we see comes from, new sales, not active subscribers. Now they need to add to that 9 million with new bb10 activations.
    new sales i can see as they haven't released a new device in a year and a half not to mention users are pushed away from them or branches just don't carry them anymore
    01-03-13 06:15 PM
    Ahem; the "news" is what the "media" want it to be.
    Seriously, everyone understands this "to a degree" travel the world and watch the same news story play out on different international news channels, it's so clear it jumps up and smacks you!
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-03-13 06:21 PM
    As I said few days ago that US govermenet alone makes million phones so that 1.3% marketshare was BS. may be paid by shorts
    01-03-13 08:35 PM
    As I said few days ago that US govermenet alone makes million phones so that 1.3% marketshare was BS. may be paid by shorts
    it wasnt BS, the 1.6% marketshare is for new sales over 3 month period. Some sites may have taken the numbers out of context and reported them incorrectly though
    RubberChicken76 and mikeo007 like this.
    01-03-13 08:41 PM
    The bad news is that RIM's market share is dropping in the U.S. it went from 8.3% in August to 7.3% in November. The good news is that the number of smartphone users in the U.S. is growing, so that the fall in RIM's drop in user base isn't that huge. Based on my calculations, it went from 9.6M to 9M.
    lnichols likes this.
    01-04-13 12:19 PM
    I see 9 million subscribers in the US as good news because a very large proportion of these people will upgrade to BB10 within the next year. Particularly compared to some other markets for Blackberry.
    01-04-13 03:57 PM