Are BlackBerry from top to nearby bottom dirt stupid? They want to sell $2 apps for other makers devices !!

I have seen some boneheaded ideas of which this one wins the prize... throw away an OS, Hardware division with all the engineering, & depend on some ethereal security & some shell over top of Android !!

Throwing away the baby including all future progeny and the bathwater including the spigot... it's so evident there is a conspiracy afoot to devalue to & dismember the company... don't the Canadians have any regulators of publicly traded entities?
    09-24-16 02:19 PM
    Are BlackBerry from top to nearby bottom dirt stupid? They want to sell $2 apps for other makers devices !!

I have seen some boneheaded ideas of which this one wins the prize... throw away an OS, Hardware division with all the engineering, & depend on some ethereal security & some shell over top of Android !!

Throwing away the baby including all future progeny and the bathwater including the spigot... it's so evident there is a conspiracy afoot to devalue to & dismember the company... don't the Canadians have any regulators of publicly traded entities?
    We do, but they're not conspiracy theorists.
    TgeekB and shaleem like this.
    09-24-16 02:20 PM
    So who is designing the PKB device that BlackBerry has already said is coming?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TCL or BlackBerry, or anyone, if they find someone else cheaper. I mean, BlackBerry can still submit specs and drawings to Alcatel, and let them figure out the hardware, as opposed to draw the thing, figure out the hardware, sourcing the parts and get someone to just build it.

Design to manufacturing a final product isn't an one step thing. You can have OEM or ODM.
    09-24-16 02:33 PM
    Priv was fully in house as well but yes to Passport variants. Also Z30, Z10, Q10, Q5.
    Which phone are you using currently..?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-16 02:35 PM
    Which phone are you using currently..?

Posted via CB10
    Priv and Nexus 5x. The 5x is great to play around with. Latest updates, custom roms etc, but I'm a bit of a nerd. You?
    09-24-16 02:38 PM
    TCL or BlackBerry, or anyone, if they find someone else cheaper. I mean, BlackBerry can still submit specs and drawings to Alcatel, and let them figure out the hardware, as opposed to draw the thing, figure out the hardware, sourcing the parts and get someone to just build it.

Design to manufacturing a final product isn't an one step thing. You can have OEM or ODM.
    It seems to me that anyone that isn't an existing reference design would be beyond what they want to pay? So is there an existing reference design for an upcoming keyboard phone?

OR is it simply a rehashed priv with updated spec?
    09-24-16 02:42 PM
    How much of the Classic was Foxconn's doing? Wondering if they just manufactured it to BlackBerry's orders or if they had more of a hand in the design.
    09-24-16 02:52 PM
    It seems to me that anyone that isn't an existing reference design would be beyond what they want to pay? So is there an existing reference design for an upcoming keyboard phone?

Well I don't know about the details, but I'm just saying there are many steps in a whole phone's design, and the cut line between BlackBerry and the third party can fall anywhere.
    09-24-16 03:07 PM
    How much of the Classic was Foxconn's doing? Wondering if they just manufactured it to BlackBerry's orders or if they had more of a hand in the design.
    I wouldn't imagine there being a whole lot of design to it, Foxconn or BlackBerry. I mean, it's just a rehashed Q10, even the specs are the same, and horribly outdated by the time it was launched. As a former owner I can tell the Classic is a hack job, just by using the toolbelt I can see the integration is horribly unrefined.
    09-24-16 03:09 PM
    Not sure they look at a bunch of different option when making a contract. Classic was fully designed by Foxconn so it's not anything they have not done before.

It's just even cheaper to take already designed hardware like Idol4.
    Fully designed by Foxconn? Manufactured yes, designed, i doubt it.

09-24-16 05:36 PM
    Plemty of devices get announced and never made.

Or are you saying I should sit tight because the Palm Foleo IS coming?

Rumoured maybe. Announced not so much.

09-24-16 05:38 PM
    Rumoured maybe. Announced not so much.

Okay. But what does that mean in relation to the Foleo?

09-24-16 06:07 PM
    Okay. But what does that mean in relation to the Foleo?

I'm talking about BlackBerry. Don't care about the Foleo.
    I also didn't say it never happens but it's not "plenty of devices" as you stated.

09-24-16 06:10 PM
    I'm talking about BlackBerry. Don't care about the Foleo.
    I also didn't say it never happens but it's not "plenty of devices" as you stated.

More than you think. Off the top of my head: BlackBerry Storm 3, Lumia 650 XL & 2020, Palm Pre 3, Watch Urbane 3, Xperia Z4v and Surface Mini.

Oh yeah, and the Foleo.

You'd be surprised just how often this happens. Feel free to do a quick search on your search engine of choice.
    09-24-16 06:20 PM
    More than you think. Off the top of my head: BlackBerry Storm 3, Lumia 650 XL & 2020, Palm Pre 3, Watch Urbane 3, Xperia Z4v and Surface Mini.

Oh yeah, and the Foleo.

You'd be surprised just how often this happens. Feel free to do a quick search on your search engine of choice.
    When was the storm 3 official announcement?
    I'm not denying that devices get made and never make it to market or rumoured and never make it. In this case both Chen and Thurber confirmed a PKB device coming early next year.
    Anyways, i don't care if you wait for it or not or whatever.

09-24-16 06:29 PM
    When was the storm 3 official announcement?
    I'm not denying that devices get made and never make it to market or rumoured and never make it. In this case both Chen and Thurber confirmed a PKB device coming early next year.
    Anyways, i don't care if you wait for it or not or whatever.

It wasn't officially announced. Just like the PKB for 2017 hasn't been officially announced. There's a huge chasm between "planned" and announced.

If I recall correctly, BlackBerry was planning (ie not announced or confirmed) on 2 new phones for 2017.
    09-24-16 06:44 PM

Yet Nintendo takes baby steps in the same direction and their stock skyrockets...

Hub+ subscriptions are the closest they're going to get for a SAF replacement, but at least they have a way larger Android installed base to work with. And if people really want the full(er) BlackBerry experience they can go for one of the BB-branded Android phones.

If a BB10-based Priv 2 came out tomorrow maybe it would sell better than an Android-based Priv 2. But would it sell well enough to recoup all the extra R&D that needs to go into it? I doubt it. And if you want BB to sell phones at all, that doesn't seem to be the right way to do it.

I would be okay with incremental improvements to the design plus updated internals.
    09-24-16 07:46 PM
    A month ago they said they were a software company who indecently sells phones so don't bet on it.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    09-24-16 07:48 PM
    It wasn't officially announced. Just like the PKB for 2017 hasn't been officially announced. There's a huge chasm between "planned" and announced.

If I recall correctly, BlackBerry was planning (ie not announced or confirmed) on 2 new phones for 2017.
    Right storm 3 not announced or acknowledged. The PKB was acknowledged on 2 different occasions as coming in early 2017. So yes many are planned internally that never make it but those also aren't mentioned to the public. So yes, huge difference.

Last edited by ray689; 09-24-16 at 09:10 PM.
    09-24-16 07:56 PM
    A month ago they said they were a software company who indecently sells phones so don't bet on it.

Sent from a Silver Passport.
    Is Chen wearing a trench coat and nothing else walking around selling phones?
    09-24-16 08:47 PM
    Right storm 3 not announced or acknowledged. The PKB was acknowledged on 2 different occasions as coming in early 2017. So yes many are planned internally that never make it but those also aren't mentioned to the public. So yes, huge difference.

I see where you're coming from. But it's a pedantic difference. Everyone plans. Sometimes those plans don't come to fruition. Could be due to any number of factors.

Talking about plans, whether internally, to a select few or a stadium full of people doesn't really matter. What matters is that said plans are either realized or abandoned.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-24-16 09:51 PM
    I see where you're coming from. But it's a pedantic difference. Everyone plans. Sometimes those plans don't come to fruition. Could be due to any number of factors.

Talking about plans, whether internally, to a select few or a stadium full of people doesn't really matter. What matters is that said plans are either realized or abandoned.
    I agree. I just see one difference this time and that is BlackBerry actually acknowledging those plan. If they don't follow through that's another story.

09-24-16 10:06 PM
    BlackBerry once planned to bring BB10 to the Playbook. They also planned to release BB10.3.3 in March of 2016.

They make a lot of plans, plans which they announce to the public. Doesn't mean they'll follow through on them.
    JeepBB, Jack Chin and TgeekB like this.
    09-24-16 10:10 PM
    BlackBerry once planned to bring BB10 to the Playbook. They also planned to release BB10.3.3 in March of 2016.

They make a lot of plans, plans which they announce to the public. Doesn't mean they'll follow through on them.
    They also planned BB10 to be the No. 1 smartphone platform... You can plan all you want, doesn't mean they CAN do it.
    09-24-16 10:41 PM
    They also planned BB10 to be the No. 1 smartphone platform... You can plan all you want, doesn't mean they CAN do it.
    Okay so a few here are saying there are no more devices coming then? I guess time will tell.

09-24-16 10:45 PM
122 ... 2345