This is just the media going against BlackBerry once again.

I swear, I've never seen this amount of conspiracy since 911. BlackBerry's melt steel beams people.
    Oh please! As if media outlets actually care enough about BlackBerry to conspire against them. If you give someone something negative to write about, they're going to write about it. No media outlet forced BB to do this. Pull your head out of the sand and assign Blame where it's due.
    06-09-16 01:44 PM
    This is the part I find most disturbing:

He said BlackBerry is allowing foreign police to bypass the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty, a diplomatic agreement that allows Canadian officials to review requests from foreign police and consider whether they are legal under Canadian law.
    Complying with Canadian government court order I am OK with that, but foreign law enforcement and bypassing the Canadian government altogether? Really?
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-09-16 01:46 PM
    "I don't want to use Google / third party XXX on Android, I want BlackBerry to make their own because I trust them" seems quite silly now...
    You had to advertise a little for Google!

Not quite. While I have lost all trust in BlackBerry, Google is doubly worse. They steal your data, sell it to advertisers and to governments whenever they need information about you.
    06-09-16 02:40 PM
    You had to advertise a little for Google!

Not quite. While I have lost all trust in BlackBerry, Google is doubly worse. They steal your data, sell it to advertisers and to governments whenever they need information about you.
    Google selling private data would be as foolish as McDonald's selling you the equipment to make your own burgers at home. The idea is totally contrary to their core business model. If they were to sell private data, it wouldn't just be their users who would be upset, it would be their shareholders even more upset!

There are chat services out there where you do not have to share the key to your data with your provider. BB sells one or two themselves, but they won't give you that when you just buy a phone from them.
    TgeekB and mornhavon like this.
    06-09-16 02:54 PM
    John Chen was born in Hong Kong and by birth is a British citizen. He is also now a US citizen. He is not a Chinese national.
    But he also chaired the US-China Advisory Board and has an honorary professorship at Shanghai University.
    His lifetime was dedicated to promoting better relationships between US and Asia, mostly China, not between the US and Britain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Chen
    06-09-16 03:00 PM
    Google selling private data would be as foolish as McDonald's selling you the equipment to make your own burgers at home. The idea is totally contrary to their core business model. If they were to sell private data, it wouldn't just be their users who would be upset, it would be their shareholders even more upset!

There are chat services out there where you do not have to share the key to your data with your provider. BB sells one or two themselves, but they won't give you that when you just buy a phone from them.
    I have BBM protected, but that does not mean that I trust BlackBerry.
    They may still have a backdoor into that and BES... we may find out later...

As for Google, I don't need to translate what stealing your data and selling it means.
    It means collecting your data whether you accept it or not, analyzing it, and then using it to charge advertisers and popping un-solicited adds on your screen. None of the money made by selling adds based on your data is given back to you. Google does not negotiate a contract with the user in which the user agrees to a certain cut of Google's add revenue as per any IP licensing contract or author rights.

That's selling your data and harassing you with adds you did not request in the process. It's worse than stalking...
    06-09-16 03:08 PM
    I have BBM protected, but that does not mean that I trust BlackBerry.
    They may still have a backdoor into that and BES... we may find out later...

As for Google, I don't need to translate what stealing your data and selling it means.
    It means collecting your data whether you accept it or not, analyzing it, and then using it to charge advertisers and popping un-solicited adds on your screen. None of the money made by selling adds based on your data is given back to you. Google does not negotiate a contract with the user win which the user agrees to a certain cut of google's add revenue as per any IP licensing contract or author rights.

That's selling your data and harassing you with adds you did not request in the process. It's worse than stalking...
    So what do you think of CrackBerry and Mobile Nations? Are they similarly stealing from you?

You do write a fair amount of content here. Are you paid for this?
    06-09-16 03:11 PM
    Does it look like I support a company or some security agency like some here do?

I don't think well of the crackberry app. Too much data mining for my taste. It's bad enough that they know my phone pin and my tablet and who I am.
    As for Mobile nations, I have never cared to read anything beyond crackberry.
    I ended up on Crackberry because I needed help with my tablet in 2012.
    I started writing much later to provide some help and an alternative view to the 99% who don't seem to care about privacy, security and accept the pervasive surveillance companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft and government surveillance.
    06-09-16 03:38 PM
    Does it look I support a company?
    I don't think well of the crackberry app. Too much data mining for my taste. It's bad enough that they know my phone pin and my tablet and who I am.
    As for Mobile nations, I have never cared to read anything beyond crackberry.
    I ended up on crackberry because I needed help with my tablet in 2012. I started writing much later to provide an alternative view to the 99%.
    But the point is CB and MN exist to place ads. That's how it works as a business. You and I willingly participate here knowing this. CB has stolen nothing from either of us.

As a consumer, I know that. I like CB. I like gmail. I like Spotify. I love Waze and Now. I understand what I'm getting (something I like) and what I'm giving (being the target of ads). None of them are stealing from me. I get immense value from Waze with no bill. That's a very good thing, IMO.

But again, to steer this back on topic. It's extremely confusing for BB to sell Privacy as a feature, and then also provide a totally unsecured free chat network, especially when others are offering E2E encryption.
    06-09-16 03:49 PM
    Another blackeye for BlackBerry - but I've got like 3 contacts and 1 group in BBM so it doesn't matter to me at all.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    06-09-16 03:52 PM
    But again, to steer this back on topic. It's extremely confusing for BB to sell Privacy as a feature, and then also provide a totally unsecured free chat network, especially when others are offering E2E encryption.
    I don't think BB could offer a free consumer based e2e for BBM. They rely on government contracts the world over and therefore they have alot of leverage against BB vs say WhatsApp who is also getting alot of pressure over their e2e including temporary bans in countries.
    06-09-16 03:55 PM
    But the point is CB and MN exist to place ads. That's how it works as a business. You and I willingly participate here knowing this. CB has stolen nothing from either of us.

As a consumer, I know that. I like CB. I like gmail. I like Spotify. I love Waze and Now. I understand what I'm getting (something I like) and what I'm giving (being the target of ads). None of them are stealing from me. I get immense value from Waze with no bill. That's a very good thing, IMO.

I agree with the last paragraph you wrote. It may well be intentional, but that would be classified as a conspiracy theory.

As for the first part, I don't see any ads on Crackberry. If they do use my info and what I write here to sell ads to me, I haven't noticed. Maybe because I always delete my websurfing history and cookies right after I go to a website..

I don't get ads related to the topics I write about here. If I did, I would stop using it just like I don't use Linked-in, facebook, Gmail, Google search, Microsoft Window, Chrome and Android...

I have had no problem cutting myself loose from any of those, of the Amazon appstore and from Android apps on BB10.

I will have no problem cutting myself loose from BlackBerry once I determine the positives don't outweigh the negatives and once I find a better solution.

For now, I haven't found a better solution for my use case.
    06-09-16 04:35 PM
    How sad BlackBerry has done this, without government approval / oversight

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    06-09-16 04:35 PM
    But he also chaired the US-China Advisory Board and has an honorary professorship at Shanghai University.
    His lifetime was dedicated to promoting better relationships between US and Asia, mostly China, not between the US and Britain...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_S._Chen
    This still does not make him a Chinese national. He is British national and a naturalized US citizen.
    TgeekB, TGR1 and Eumaeus like this.
    06-09-16 04:48 PM
    This still does not make him a Chinese national. He is British national and a naturalized US citizen.
    Kind of like calling an American born judge with Mexican heritage a Mexican who cannot be fair in his rulings because "I'm building a wall".
    06-09-16 05:00 PM
    I don't mind it. If you're not a criminal you have nothing to hide right? Regular ppl are fine, you gotta be in some major stuff n show evidence for BlackBerry to let you have msgs. Relax ppl
    rcsgolf likes this.
    06-09-16 05:40 PM

Christopher Parsons , a research associate at the University of Toronto's Citizen Lab, who has studied the privacy practices of tech companies, is worried by the secrecy of BlackBerry's process and its potential for abuse.

"The concern would be that there is a lawful order from a corrupt judge," said Parsons, who reviewed the ICL for CBC News. "There are countries in the world, unfortunately, where this does happen."

He said BlackBerry is allowing foreign police to bypass the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty, a diplomatic agreement that allows Canadian officials to review requests from foreign police and consider whether they are legal under Canadian law.
    Now who is this Christopher Parsons...? *eek*

;-P

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-09-16 05:45 PM
    I don't mind it. If you're not a criminal you have nothing to hide right? Regular ppl are fine, you gotta be in some major stuff n show evidence for BlackBerry to let you have msgs. Relax ppl
    Yeah because the Govt. would never ask to see messages or determine themselves who is a criminal and who isn't... This type of thinking is so naive.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    06-09-16 06:05 PM
    I don't see what every body is crying for. They have to have legitimate reason to share your BBM chats. They can just request them. They probably have to have a court documents saying you have links to or associated with know extremists.

And there for request them.

And the expert is worried about abuse. When ever you have people in authority there is always abuse. Not like that's anything new.

#luvmybb10os
    06-09-16 06:22 PM
    Yeah because the Govt. would never ask to see messages or determine themselves who is a criminal and who isn't... This type of thinking is so naive.
    Are you really that worried about d*ick pics? Lol then don't send em. They won't just ask for chats willy nilly lol
    06-09-16 07:00 PM
    I don't see what every body is crying for. They have to have legitimate reason to share your BBM chats. They can just request them. They probably have to have a court documents saying you have links to or associated with know extremists.
    So the question is who is "they"? Not all courts are above reproach. And no courts are infallible.

BTW, which known extremists was ARod associated with? You'll notice BB provided evidence in his case, too. Not exactly a matter of national security.

And the expert is worried about abuse. When ever you have people in authority there is always abuse. Not like that's anything new.
    Exactly. There is always abuse. This is why BB sells privacy as a feature (not just for criminals). They even named a phone after this ideal, didn't they?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-09-16 at 07:28 PM.
    06-09-16 07:16 PM
    Are you really that worried about d*ick pics? Lol then don't send em. They won't just ask for chats willy nilly lol
    It's a matter of things that are not violent or extremist per se.

For example : Just expressing concern or holding slightly "traditional" or "very progressive" values about certain developments in mainstream society can already get you labelled as perpetrator of "thought crime", "crime of opinion" or "hate speech", whatever that may be and whoever sets the rules for that...

I find that problematic, and contravenes Constitution in any way thinkable. Are my or anyone's beliefs or opinions, however right or wrong, less valuable or protected than someone else's opinions on a topic, lifestyle preferences, world view, etc. ...?

Now, let's keep this on topic, and keep it "civil", before mods shut down this thread for being "political" or otherwise "inappropriate"... ;-D

The problem is not the process, the law, BlackBerry, etc. The problem is the arbitrary nature of "invisible" boundaries, "unspoken" rules, (self-)censorship, what constitutes acceptable behaviour, and who enforces these rules...

crackberry_geek likes this.
    06-09-16 07:24 PM
    Lol, this sounds exactly like an iPhone users defense back before Apple had a stance on privacy.
    velkod and Witmen like this.
    06-09-16 07:33 PM
    We still haven't heard from that Chris Parsons mentioned in the article, lol... ;-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-09-16 07:38 PM
    Ya if the ndp get there way in Alberta. If police deem your hiding somthing they can search with out a warrant.

#luvmybb10os
    06-09-16 07:39 PM
83 1234