Over a decade ago, before becoming a mainstream phenomenon and about when "smartphone" first started to become a word, the BlackBerry was a novel device for those of us who were out of the office a lot but wanted to make it seem that we were at our desks (or in my case, while doing other things for fun, like playing basketball in northern New Jersey, or sailing while pretending to be at work).

Looking to offer some interesting features to its pre-loaded BlackBerry applications, RIM earlier this week said it has purchased Gist, a startup that offers software that aggregates e-mail contacts while helping you keep tabs on what they are doing. The purchase won't trigger a mad rush to buy next-generation BlackBerries or new tablets if the app comes preloaded, yet Gist might offer a promise of new types of applications RIM could offer in the future.

Continue reading at http://crackberry.com/rim-acquires-g...l-networking-y
    02-19-11 03:01 PM
    Another case of not resting on laurels. Apparently they have stumbled onto something to improve yet another aspect of BlackBerry, both the tablet and mobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 03:27 PM
    Yea I dont really like the way my contacts look on my tour.
    02-19-11 03:29 PM
    Anyone have any guesses related to when they might integrate parts of Gist into the native email app? I love gist, but it takes too long to load, since contacts are stored off the phone (on gists servers), which has to be transferred to the phone anytime you click something....

I assume RIM would store much of this info on the phone, if they ever integrate the app....

-Stephen

06-20-11 11:02 AM
    I'll be looking forward to this

06-21-11 03:21 AM
    oh! Also, you can't send an email to multiple Gist contacts! WTF?!?!?

-Stephen
    07-06-11 01:48 PM
    I wish they would just fix google contact syncing in BIS.
    07-06-11 03:56 PM
    What's wrong w/ Google contact syncing, ADGrant?

-Stephen

07-08-11 02:06 AM
    It mangles addresses and duplicates all your contacts. It's a complete mess, I have gone back to a USB cable for syncing contacts.
    07-08-11 06:52 AM
    It mangles addresses and duplicates all your contacts. It's a complete mess, I have gone back to a USB cable for syncing contacts.
    How many new contacts do you ad every day or every week? If the answer is not many you don't need OTA sync, I'm about to turn mine off and just rely on DM back up, which I think is much more important then just contacts sync.

07-08-11 07:52 AM
    How many new contacts do you ad every day or every week? If the answer is not many you don't need OTA sync, I'm about to turn mine off and just rely on DM back up, which I think is much more important then just contacts sync.

I have other devices I would like to keep in sync. However data integrity is more important. I backup with DM, sync with the Mac Address book using DM (which then syncs to google contacts) and finally backup using BB Protect.

07-08-11 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD